Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
I just bought another seagate 160g SATA for my G5, just exactly the same as the old one.
i backed up all the things, inserted the panther dvd that came with the PowerMac, started the setup program. but some thing happened. When i opened the disk utility from the installer, i just can't drag the two disk into the box labled: drag disks here to create raid.

What's wrong? i've formatted the two disks with the Mac OS+ file system, what i gonna do????

help me~~~~~~

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
msharp said:
I just bought another seagate 160g SATA for my G5, just exactly the same as the old one.
i backed up all the things, inserted the panther dvd that came with the PowerMac, started the setup program. but some thing happened. When i opened the disk utility from the installer, i just can't drag the two disk into the box labled: drag disks here to create raid.

What's wrong? i've formatted the two disks with the Mac OS+ file system, what i gonna do????

help me~~~~~~
Three things to check:
1. Are the disks blank?
2. Are the disks formatted with only one partition?
3. Are you dragging the right thing? Let's say you named the disks FWHD1 and FWHD2, and the icons above each disk both say SEAGATE 160GB FW. If you're dragging the FWHD1 and FWHD2 icons, and it's not working, try dragging the two SEAGATE 16oGB FW icons instead.

msharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
Three things to check:
1. Are the disks blank?
2. Are the disks formatted with only one partition?
3. Are you dragging the right thing? Let's say you named the disks FWHD1 and FWHD2, and the icons above each disk both say SEAGATE 160GB FW. If you're dragging the FWHD1 and FWHD2 icons, and it's not working, try dragging the two SEAGATE 16oGB FW icons instead.

thanks very much for your help!
but i think this problem isn't my fault at all. I just opened the disk utility "EARLIER" in the second time from the installer, and everything goes fine.
i thinks it's just a bug....;-)

thanks all the way!!

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Just set up a G5 with two 250Gb Mirrored and same issue

msharp said:
thanks very much for your help!
but i think this problem isn't my fault at all. I just opened the disk utility "EARLIER" in the second time from the installer, and everything goes fine.
i thinks it's just a bug....;-)

thanks all the way!!

I had the same problem earlier this week, when I put the two drives into the G5 it recognised them but would not initially either let me install OSX server or Mirror the disks. I ended up partitioning / initialising the drives, rebooting and then installing / setting up RAID and it works. I think it may be to do with drive firmware revisions, 'cos on another (almost) identical machine, with Apple supplied HDDs I did not have the same problem. Glad you got it sorted ! - Apple makes things so easy, that when things don't work out first time WE feel stupid !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.