Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
VA
Overall, I'm happy. I'm babying it right now, really bad. The display, I noticed instantly. I have a light leak above one volume button. It gets really hot at the top of the back of the device. The sync cable was extremely nerving to put in. Required a lot of force. HD video, I'm assuming it automatically records in it, looks grainy on my ipod after recording. Semi low light conditions though.

Other than those 3 things, I like it a lot. Now I need a case.

tubemonkey

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Overall, I'm happy. I'm babying it right now, really bad. The display, I noticed instantly. I have a light leak above one volume button. It gets really hot at the top of the back of the device. The sync cable was extremely nerving to put in. Required a lot of force. HD video, I'm assuming it automatically records in it, looks grainy on my ipod after recording. Semi low light conditions though.

Other than those 3 things, I like it a lot. Now I need a case.

Light leak? I'd exchange it if I were you. Why keep a defective product?

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
From what I have been reading, the majority of people are having the light leak at the volume buttons, if not there and then some. I just have the leak at the upper volume button so I'm not worried - a case will cover it anyway.

I also noticed that the sync cable was uber tight at first. Also, I noticed it is really awkward to dock because of the curve...have a tough time just setting it down on the dock like I did my previous gen Touch.

Also, yes, the video/photo quality is not the greatest. I was not expecting them to be considering there was not a huge price increase between Touch generations. I just use the cam for quick moments that I normally would miss because I don't carry my camera with me everywhere. The quality is decent enough to facebook or whatnot; I don't really get the point of putting iMovie on the Touch - the quality just isn't there to need such an application.

tubemonkey

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
From what I have been reading, the majority of people are having the light leak at the volume buttons, if not there and then some. I just have the leak at the upper volume button so I'm not worried - a case will cover it anyway.

Then everyone needs to take them back for a refund and not buy a new one until Apple fixes the problem.

As long as people keep defective touches and make excuses to mitigate this flaw, Apple won't fix it. What incentive do they have to waste money fixing a flaw that people accept?

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Light leak? I'd exchange it if I were you. Why keep a defective product?
He's not you. >.< If a light leak doesn't bother him (nor would it bother me), no need to exchange it.

I don't let insignificant things like that bother me - I'm way too concerned with functionality. If the device functions as intended and nothing impedes that, then I'm happy. This is also generally why I purchase certified refurbs, or items returned with imperfections (scratches, blemishes, etc) - I pay less for the same product with identical functionality. A major scratch on the back of my iPod doesn't affect functionality. However, a major scratch on the glass could, as it may interfere with viewing.

I guess I just don't understand why people make such a fuss over things like that. >.< If you will only accept a perfect product, then that's your right.
No offense meant, though. Simply my two pennies.

tubemonkey

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
He's not you. >.< If a light leak doesn't bother him (nor would it bother me), no need to exchange it.

I don't let insignificant things like that bother me - I'm way too concerned with functionality. If the device functions as intended and nothing impedes that, then I'm happy. This is also generally why I purchase certified refurbs, or items returned with imperfections (scratches, blemishes, etc) - I pay less for the same product with identical functionality. A major scratch on the back of my iPod doesn't affect functionality. However, a major scratch on the glass could, as it may interfere with viewing.

I guess I just don't understand why people make such a fuss over things like that. >.< If you will only accept a perfect product, then that's your right.
No offense meant, though. Simply my two pennies.

Apple loves people like you. Keep up the good work. The more of you there are, the less likely Apple will fix defective devices.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I love it when people play perfectionist with only a couple of hundred bucks device. What will happen when they actually buy something much more expensive LOL.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Enablers...

That also explains the shiny, ultra-soft back that's persisted into the 4th generation. My iPod 64GB 4th generation is my first Apple product since 1994, and one reason is that Apple has tended to make design choices that seemed strange to me. I had no idea the Touch's back was so delicate, and after five day's of ownership, which included resting it on a smooth desktop to sync with my PC, it's got scratches on its back, which ruins the prettiness of the shiny back. I can't think of any other product which has an aspect like this that essentially "breaks" the instant you start to use it. I mean, the Touch's slogan could be, "Look, but don't touch," or maybe it should just come with an eiderdown satin pillow to rest it on. :rolleyes:

As for the light leak, I've got a small one on the left side near the volume buttons, and a pinpoint-sized one on the right side. I'd only ever notice it while using the Touch in the dark, which is going to be uncommon for me. The bigger issue for me is the very poor viewing angles; even very small changes in orientation cause noticeable color or contrast/brightness shifts.

So these are the things I don't like. None of them are severe enough for me to take the Touch back. The back softness and poor viewing angles are inherent to the design; they're all like that. The light leakage appears to be a very common defect, and mine is not the worst I've seen described.

These are simply the sorts of things you'll put up with if you want a Touch, which I very much do, because it's better in so many other ways than my prior Zune HD (and previous Zune generations) and other PMPs on the market. I've resisted buying an iPod until now, and I don't regret my very expensive purchase at all. The Touch is one product for which the functionality and performance of an Apple product outweigh the strange design choices and defects.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
VA
Light Leak is very minor. I watched some youtube on my ipod last night, in my room in bed. Pitch black and I don't remember seeing it. Maybe my eyes deceived me. Thinking about making full video or written reviews on my ipod. Would anyone appreciate/want that? I can address any questions if you have any!

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I totally would NOT take it back just for the light leak. like I said, a case will cover it anyway and if no case, who really is going to notice if you aren't staring at your iPod Touch in the dark (and who would do that...lol).

As for tubemonkey, I think the OP was just asking for some input from those of us who have the Touch, not to be berated for his purchase. Those of us who are happy with Apple continue to buy from them because we love their products even though they aren't always perfect. And as long as Apple continues to churn out outstanding products that suit my needs (which they always have), I am happy to "enable" them.:apple:

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
There is a big difference between a product being imperfect and it being faulty. If I returned every single thing I bought that was simply imperfect, I would have a pretty empty house...

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
There is a big difference between a product being imperfect and it being faulty. If I returned every single thing I bought that was simply imperfect, I would have a pretty empty house...

true. I have minor leakage but I only noticed it b/c I looked for it - under high brightness and all lights off and it still was very minor. My concern was dust, but since the screen is fused to the glass, no big. I have a case over it now too so whatever. People can get their point across also by emailing. I am enabling Apple by letting them know I like that they're pushing innovative products and bought the 4G skipping the previous 2 gens. The screen is beautiful!!

kimsmarkin

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
Amazon also has the new 4G iPod Touch 8 GB for $ 225, $ 80 plus $ 3G 8GB. I wonder who should I do. I missed an iPod Touch since November 2009 and I could not get one for Christmas last year.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
VA
I'm not unhappy with my purchase and I don't plan to take it back, I figure people looking to spend upwards of $229 would like to have an idea of what they are getting. I understand fully that people complain about the problems with something a lot more than having no issues. I'm not having any really issues. This is more of just general input so that people transitioning will know what to expect.

I haven't noticed any clicking when recording video with a locked wifi network.

It does get warm at the top. I'm assuming the wifi sensor and maybe something else like the memory. Only got really warm when syncing about 15GBs of media.

Light leak is minuscule and I only noticed it because I looked for it. I saw it when I like, tilted my ipod one way and backward and I could see a slight amount light. I use my ipod a lot once im laying down in bed. I find it slightly easier to use than a laptop in bed. Besides I can't play angry birds on my macbook...

What other issues are there? Oh! A few reported that there screens were slightly uneven. My 3G IPT had that problem, I had it for close to a year with no issue...4G is fine.

The Good: Retina is amazing, noticed it instantly. Text is far clearer. HD video is good, but only in good daylight from my experience. The VGA/Front camera is pretty good I have 2 videos on youtube of the outside at like 7pm with them both, and they are fairly good. The feel is good. I've been carrying it in my sunglasses bag/case. It's a really soft like felt/cloth that came with my Electrics to protect the $150 lenses so...There's not really much to describe as 'good'. Everything is 'good' in a sense.

congrats with your new phone! how was it? how is it different from 3g?

You are wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.