PDA

View Full Version : finally installing leopard on powerbook g4... or not. please help!

heysandy
Sep 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
hi all. hopefully someone has some insight inyo my current problem.

since i now cant update to itunes 10 or upgrade to ios4 without at least os 10.5.4, i borrowed a leapord upgrade disk from a friend to install 10.5 on my powerbook g4 still running 10.4.11. i know my computer meets system requirements for leopard and i had installed 2 gigs of ram.

i was planning to do an archive and install or erase and install but i never saw the option anywhere when i inserted the disc and began being taken thru the install. despite that the regular install seemed to have been going fine until it all stopped and install failed. i restarted from the disk and got the blue screen of death. i got the disk out by holding the trackpad.

now i stupidly decide to start fresh with tiger again before retrying with leopard. i put in disk 1 install that came with the laptop and install but archive and install is the only option i can choose. why this was is a mystery but i go with it. once again install goes fine until it needs disk 2 and it fails anout 2 minutes into instaling disk 2. now the only screen i ever get is the installer asking for disk 2 which fails with a nameless error every time i try using it.

phew that was long, sorry. it sucks that my powerbook was still kicking after all these years with minimal complaints and now being forced to upgrade my os has totally disabled it. thank you soooo much for any help in advance.

shdwghst457
Sep 15, 2010, 12:51 AM
If you don't care about the data on the computer, follow these steps.

Insert Leopard DVD. let it finish scanning the disc for errors if that pops up. Click continue. Now go to Utilities at the top of the screen, and go to Disk Utility. Select your hard drive (the disk, not just the partition, should say something like 80.0GB Hitachi/Seagate/Toshiba etc, size and brand will vary) and then go the Partition tab (middle of 5 buttons). Change current partition to 1 partition, and under options make sure it's still APM and not GUID or MBR (you shouldn't have to change this). Name it whatever you like (Macintosh HD, for example). Now quit Disk Utility.

This takes you back to the installer screen. Proceed to install the OS on your 100% blank hard drive. If it fails again, there is something wrong with a) the DVD, b) the DVD drive, c) your hard drive, or d) something more expensive in your computer.

What processor speed is your G4?