Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
K39249US-21851.jpg
K39249US-21861.jpg
K39249US-21876.jpg
K39249US-21886.jpg

The Kensington PowerBack™ Battery Case with Kickstand and Dock slips over the back of your iPad to provide power, protection and a convenient prop. With up to 5 extra hours of power, you"ll have plenty of juice for app use, web surfing, and movie watching. The 3-position kickstand even holds your iPad hands-free in typing, portrait or landscape modes.

Saw it on a few tech sites.

I was actually wondering when cases with built in batteries like ones already out there for the iPhone and Touch, would start to roll out.

Anyways, more info here: http://us.kensington.com/html/17806.html

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Expensive.. But worth while if you are making extremely long plane flights. Otherwise the battery is god enough most likely

prot0type

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Expensive.. But worth while if you are making extremely long plane flights. Otherwise the battery is god enough most likely

I think it's somewhat reasonable. I mean you are getting a protective case, built in stand for typing and viewing, and of course the built in battery.

If anything, linked from Kensington's site is one of their retailers selling it for around $85: http://www.provantage.com/kensington-k39249us~7KNS90L2.htm

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong

I do 12-15hr plane rides 5-8 times a year, I would much rather use an external battery charger (I have a Lifetron and it works great). Most people will never use the iPad (or any other device) the entire time on the plane ride, so it isn't necessary to have the extra battery life. Most importantly I would never want to lug the battery case with iPad around town, the iPad is heavy enough as it is when held by hand. The price isn't bad for a nice case and battery, but I think for most people the stock battery time is enough and outweighs the extra weight of the battery case. With so many other external battery chargers, it seems like a much wiser choice to get a battery charger since it can charge a multitude of other devices including an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.