Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DocDoom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hi, im interested in buying an Otterbox Defender for the iPhone 4, and i want to know if the iPhone would fit in the case with a front and back screen protector. Something like the 'Speck ShieldView' self adhesive protectors , and not the 'Zagg Invisibleshields'. Anyone know if this would be possible?

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
As a previous owner of both, I can tell you that the vinyl overlay will be problematic with an iPhone that already has the InvisibleSHIELD on it. As a matter of fact, I've had sections of my InvisibleSHIELD screen protector yanked off or shifted because they get very sticky against each other.

That, plus the plastic case is a tight fit already, so it likely won't fit unless you remove the InvisibleSHIELD from it first.

DocDoom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
As a previous owner of both, I can tell you that the vinyl overlay will be problematic with an iPhone that already has the InvisibleSHIELD on it. As a matter of fact, I've had sections of my InvisibleSHIELD screen protector yanked off or shifted because they get very sticky against each other.

That, plus the plastic case is a tight fit already, so it likely won't fit unless you remove the InvisibleSHIELD from it first.

Actually, i wasnt planning on applying the 'InvisibleShield' type screen protectors, but the self adhesive ones, like the 'Speck ShieldViews' protectors.

http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone/shieldview-for-iphone-4.html

jeffpickl

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
I haven't had any issues with a front screen protector. I haven't tried both front and back. I do recommend an anti-glare screen protector as it removes the stickyness and bubbles between the otterbox film and the screen.

DocDoom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I haven't had any issues with a front screen protector. I haven't tried both front and back. I do recommend an anti-glare screen protector as it removes the stickyness and bubbles between the otterbox film and the screen.

Yeah..I was planning on a front, anti-glare screen protector, and a clear back protector. I just hope the iPhone fits in the Otterbox with both protectors on!?!?

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
You should be fine. The OtterBox Defender fits the iPhone 4 even if it has an InvisibleSheild, albeit an EXTREMELY snug fit, so I'm sure it will fit with the Speck SheildView just fine. So, go for it. It's a great case and I love it. I never have to worry about damaging my iphone no matter how many times I drop it or what kind of surfaces I drop it on.

ItouchMe

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I watched multiple video reviews, and its not recommended to have a screen protector on. And to be honest, if this is a long term case. The built in screen protector is phenomenal and it looks like there isn't anyone on.

patton686

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Tried with a Zagg, and it didn't work out too well. You have to really press to the point it's no more natural/intuitive. Also, I got the Defender for about 3 weeks now, and the front screen protector has kinda became a little more "looser" from regular use. Like now when I have to press a button in any extreme side of the screen, I have to push harder. So I guess if you keep a screen protector on, I think you might get frustrated big time and might want to throw your iphone through the window.

As far as I love my Defender, it's far from the perfect case for everyday use. It basically won't fit any mount or cradle, is bulky in my jeans pocket and it's pretty heavy for a case. Still, I think it gives me a better grip over my ip4, and I have kind of a curse which makes me break everything I love unintentionally.
So it is really practical, and I can assure you, it really IS the best protection you can get for your iphone.

Since you seem to have the same problem as me (if you were to leave your iphone in the defender all the time you wouldn't ask this, I guess), here's what I'm about to do: buy 50 cheap protective covers on ebay for 12$. So everytime I will put my ip4 out of my defender for another case, I will put a new protector on.

Sad but it's the best solution I found.

ok3wire

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
I'm still a 3Gs guy at present, but I've been using an Otterbox Defender on my phone since it was new. I work in a construction related industry and am often in extremely dusty environments. The Defender provides awesome protection in this regard. From the very beginning, however, the one thing I didn't like about the Defender was the built in screen protector. My solution was to simply tear out the built in protector and replace it with a high quality static cling, film type screen protector. I've removed the phone from the case many times in the past year and am still on that first film protector. The combo works great and very little, if any, dust gets inside the case. It sounds as if Otterbox has been hard at work to improve the performance of its built in screen protector on the iP4 case, but I obviously haven't seen it and couldn't say firsthand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.