Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Had heard a lot of good things about the Zinio app, so I downloaded it to give reading a magazine on the iPad a try.

I went to download my favourite mag World Soccer and found it that it would cost £5.40 to buy the latest issue. WTF? It has a cover price of £4. I could understand it if it was cheaper or even the same price, but over 30% more expensive than the hard copy (with all the associated printing & distribution costs).

Are they off their heads?

BaronStein

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
NY
Had heard a lot of good things about the Zinio app, so I downloaded it to give reading a magazine on the iPad a try.

I went to download my favourite mag World Soccer and found it that it would cost £5.40 to buy the latest issue. WTF? It has a cover price of £4. I could understand it if it was cheaper or even the same price, but over 30% more expensive than the hard copy (with all the associated printing & distribution costs).

Are they off their heads?

I'm not sure but my inbox is bombarded by Zinio spams all about discounts or offers. I think you might want to check it out.

Zinio Help

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Pricing question

@shotts56 - With Zinio, we let the publishers set the price. I would suggest you reach out to the publisher directly.

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
Single issues aren't cheap. But the subscription prices are great.

Not for everything. I checked the prices on some gaming mags on Zinio and some were $78+ for 11 issues. Seventy Eight Dollars? You have got to be kidding me. These were uk mags, and if you go to a news stand they are about $7.00 each due to shipping to US, but for digital mags charging that much? Stupid. Its not just 1 magazine either, there were at least 3 that were over $70 for 11 issues.

jeannieymullen

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Yep- we are nuts at Zinio

But in a really good way.
i love this forum and cant fix everyones concerns right away- but i can share this link which will allow Zinio fans to get 1 free issue
http://bit.ly/c5CcZa

its our way of saying - we hear you and we care!

Have a great weekend!

Jeanniey (CMO)
@empg

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
jeannieymullen said:
But in a really good way.
i love this forum and cant fix everyones concerns right away- but i can share this link which will allow Zinio fans to get 1 free issue
http://bit.ly/c5CcZa

its our way of saying - we hear you and we care!

Have a great weekend!

Jeanniey (CMO)
@empg

You got customersuggestionsite somewhere? Got some nitpicks with the zinio app I want to ask..

1) an option to download all mags in my library at once would be nice.
2) tap to change pages, like every other reading app out there
3) option to lose, hide or make the text button transparent. It gets in the way with text. See example
b2427554737d994.jpg

jeannieymullen

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Yes! Send zinio suggestions to me at

jmullen@zinio.com. And, if its about our iPad or iPhone app copy our product director Brian at byu@zinio.com

We love to get feedback on improvements.

As far as your three intitial comments go:
1) an option to download all mags in my library at once would be nice. **YEP THIS IS COMING ON THE 4.2 OS RELEASE. MULTI-TASKING IS AN OS LIMITATION RIGHT NOW- NOT A ZINIO LIMITATION- OUR PC/MAC SOLUTION ALREADY DOES THIS
2) tap to change pages, like every other reading app out there ** ALSO COMING SOON, ALONG WITH A FEW OTHER CHANGES WE THINK PEOPLE WILL REALLY LIKE
3) option to lose, hide or make the text button transparent. It gets in the way with text. ** THIS IS A GOOD ONE I DONT THINK HAS COME UP BEFORE - WILL MAKE SURE THE TEAM IS AWARE

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
jeannieymullen said:
jmullen@zinio.com. And, if its about our iPad or iPhone app copy our product director Brian at byu@zinio.com

We love to get feedback on improvements.

As far as your three intitial comments go:
1) an option to download all mags in my library at once would be nice. **YEP THIS IS COMING ON THE 4.2 OS RELEASE. MULTI-TASKING IS AN OS LIMITATION RIGHT NOW- NOT A ZINIO LIMITATION- OUR PC/MAC SOLUTION ALREADY DOES THIS

Will email too, but I better answer here too to round things up.
I wasn't talking about downloading in parallel (although that'd be nice), I was talking about a download all button, and the mags will be downloaded one by one. Now I have to download one, wait for it to finish and then click another one.

I just had to restore my iPad, so now I have redownload like 30 mags.... Not fun... Would be nice if I could just hit the download button and leave the iPad downloading overnight. Which gets me to another nitpick...

The iPad will get into sleep/standby mode while downloading. And when i unlock the ipad, zinio resumes downloading.
If a mag is currently downloading, the iPad should remain awake. I know that other apps can override the sleep/lock setting, so zinio should be able too..

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Not for everything. I checked the prices on some gaming mags on Zinio and some were $78+ for 11 issues. Seventy Eight Dollars? You have got to be kidding me. These were uk mags, and if you go to a news stand they are about $7.00 each due to shipping to US, but for digital mags charging that much? Stupid. Its not just 1 magazine either, there were at least 3 that were over $70 for 11 issues.

I also noticed that some foreign mags were pretty expensive. Not sure why that is. Still though, overall, the subscription prices are great. I also love the convenience of having all my magazines with me in a very small and compact package. When I travel, this is really handy.

jeannieymullen

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Any zinio fans interested in helping us out?

i am finalizing some PR efforts and i am looking for interested zinio fans who would be willing to speak on TV or radio about why they love digital reading and what makes Zinio a hit. If you are interested, please email me jmullen@zinio.com

thanks!:D

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Jeanniey,

What is the chance that a non iPad magazine might make it to the iPad?

I ask because I purchased a 12 month sub to one of your mags not realising it was for PC/MAC only.

It was Eagles Insider.

Thanks. Do love Zinio though. Its great to be able to carry around a whole bunch of magazines...without giving myself a hernia!!!

jeannieymullen

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Eagles Insider should be on the iPad

Jeanniey,

What is the chance that a non iPad magazine might make it to the iPad?

I ask because I purchased a 12 month sub to one of your mags not realising it was for PC/MAC only.

It was Eagles Insider.

Thanks. Do love Zinio though. Its great to be able to carry around a whole bunch of magazines...without giving myself a hernia!!!

Hey Kevin, thanks for your email. all of the titles allowed by apple should be there- let me check in on this one and get back to you. (even though im from Pittsburgh)

thanks for the heads up. stay tuned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.