PDA

View Full Version : De-restricting DVD on G4 PwrBk... help?

MacShep
Dec 17, 2004, 03:31 PM
Hi,
anyone know if there is a program to de-restrict (if that is the right term) the region coding on the G4 Pwr Bk? I used a different region DVD the other day and it tells me I only 4 changes left that I can make...

this may be a daft question but I am quite new to all this stuff, but i know my friend had the thing downloaded on her old pwr bk - but not sure about OS X

cheers. :)

AmigoMac
Dec 17, 2004, 04:17 PM
No way gŁey :p

Edit, yeah, there is a way, but it may take your mac out of warranty ... take care...

crachoar
Dec 17, 2004, 04:41 PM
Yes. There's a way to hack the DVD Player, but I'm not about to dig up the link...

Copy the DVD and remove the CSS, Macrovision and Region Coding using DVDBackup instead.

Region Coding is a stupid requirement, enforced by the MPAA. It's unfair and it's quite silly.

Search versiontracker and you'll find the app. It works wonders.

However, this will give you an uncompressed VIDEO_TS folder (which can be played using VLC, or 'VideoLan'). If you'd like to compress your DVD to fit onto a DVD-R, you need to purchase a copy of 'DVD2OneX'. It will compress to whatever size you want (there is a 'DVD-RW' preset size that will automatically compress it to 4.3GB for you). You can remove certain audio tracks from the disc as well to make more room for the video data. Wonderful program.

Fair use. Enjoy it while you can.

jeremy.king
Dec 17, 2004, 04:49 PM
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=123415#123415

http://xvi.rpc1.org/region.html

PS. Learn to use the search feature on this site.

JeDiBoYTJ
Dec 17, 2004, 09:38 PM
Yes. There's a way to hack the DVD Player, but I'm not about to dig up the link...

Copy the DVD and remove the CSS, Macrovision and Region Coding using DVDBackup instead.

Region Coding is a stupid requirement, enforced by the MPAA. It's unfair and it's quite silly.

Search versiontracker and you'll find the app. It works wonders.

However, this will give you an uncompressed VIDEO_TS folder (which can be played using VLC, or 'VideoLan'). If you'd like to compress your DVD to fit onto a DVD-R, you need to purchase a copy of 'DVD2OneX'. It will compress to whatever size you want (there is a 'DVD-RW' preset size that will automatically compress it to 4.3GB for you). You can remove certain audio tracks from the disc as well to make more room for the video data. Wonderful program.

Fair use. Enjoy it while you can.

You can play that VIDEO_TS folder directly from the Apple DVD Player. just select File -> Open Video_TS folder

Chip NoVaMac
Dec 17, 2004, 10:34 PM
Mac the Ripper might allow to escape the problem.

mcarnes
Dec 17, 2004, 11:04 PM
MacTheRipper. (http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/mtr.html)

advres
Dec 17, 2004, 11:15 PM
I would just use 'Fast DVD Copy'. It's an all-in-one app. A lot faster and easier for noobs then using DVD Backup in conjunction with DVD2oneX.

tpjunkie
Dec 18, 2004, 01:19 PM
If you're truly to lazy to search, here's the link, off the top of my head:

http://superdrive.cynikal.net

This WILL officially void your warranty. That being said, it works fine, but as a precaution, i'd make your powerbook is plugged in on AC power with a full battery during the installation, just in case.

munkle
Dec 18, 2004, 01:36 PM
I would just use 'Fast DVD Copy'. It's an all-in-one app. A lot faster and easier for noobs then using DVD Backup in conjunction with DVD2oneX.

A bit of an expensive option if he's just looking to watch the movie. MacTheRipper will do what you want, just a bit annoying having to go through the extra process before you can actually watch your DVD. How often are you going to be watching DVD's from different regions anyway?

MacShep
Dec 21, 2004, 08:18 AM
thanks for all your tips/help.

Sorry if wasting anyones time - only had my pwr bk for under a year and it's my first Mac. Plus new to this site and only just started with the search thing proper today.

thanks again one and all. :)