Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

system16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Hi guys,

Been using my new imac for about a week now and running a few games on it.

Some games I run at 1080p instead of ful res for better performance. Until today everything was fine but now these games are not filling the screen so running with black borders around them (not windowed though).

I've already reinstalled the graphics drivers to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Teqnilogik

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Are you running these games in Windows or Mac OS X?

If it is in Windows it seems like the graphics driver is running the game in the lower resolution without scaling it to fill your entire screen. If the driver just displays the resolution exactly as is without scaling then it will just be centered on your screen with black borders. You want to scale that lower evolution to fill the entire screen. I would recommend first going to http://www.amd.com and downloading the latest ATI Mobility drivers for the video card your iMac has. You can find them under Notebook Graphics > Mobility Radeon Series on their site. Just so you know, the iMac uses ATI's Mobility Radeon HD chipsets instead of the desktop versions since they run less hot and use less power. After installing those restart and see if your games work how you want them. If they don't try right clicking your desktop and choose ATI Control Center and look for an option in there to scale the resolution to fit your screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.