PDA

View Full Version : iBook won't connect with airport

Josh396
Dec 18, 2004, 10:13 AM
My dad just bought an iBook from a friend a few days ago. It's a 12 inch G4 1.0 ghz but it didn't have an airport card. I went to an Apple store yesterday to buy an airport card and I installed the software and the card when I got home but it won't connect. I am able to change the preferences for the card on the iBook so it seems to be installed correctly. We have a Belkin wireless router with our iMac wire to it. I am able to connect to the internet on the my sister's dell so the router doesn't seem to be a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

rogerw
Dec 18, 2004, 10:32 AM
can you see the airport signal thingy at the top of the screen (next to the speakersign) and if so is it black(ie not greyed out). if so, click on it can you see the network 'belkin' listed?

Josh396
Dec 18, 2004, 10:42 AM
The airport signal is up in the corner but it is grey out.

rogerw
Dec 18, 2004, 10:57 AM
click on it anyway and clik on turn on airport....what happens. does the airport thingy black up

i had an ibook set up on a wireless network by a mate and i brought home the imac, chucked a airport card in, and hey presto it just worked.

Josh396
Dec 18, 2004, 11:07 AM
The airport card is already turned on and the signal on the corner is greyed out. I don't really see why it shouldn't be working because my cousin always brings his powerbook over and it connects as soon as he turns it on.

rogerw
Dec 18, 2004, 11:19 AM
ok...
the airport icon, does it look like 4 sort of lines rediating outward (and greyed out)or is it just a quadrant with no infill at all. ie like when you turn off the airport.

If it is the former, sounds like it is (card) duff cos you only get this normally when you are out of range.

Could try shoving it in the imac and see if the same thing happens.

Perhaps someone else in the forum has any other ideas

Josh396
Dec 18, 2004, 11:23 AM
The signal is the 4 lines just greyed out. I thought of putting it in the iMac but I don't it is Airport Extreme ready. Thanks a lot for the help

rogerw
Dec 18, 2004, 11:32 AM
presume youve tried restarting the i book... otherwise, take it back to the store.

maya
Dec 18, 2004, 05:37 PM
Maybe you didn't insert the card correctly, or maybe the antenna is broken, or just a loose connection.

Try to remove the card and re-insert it, could have been a static charge that may have cause it to malfunction.

redAPPLE
Dec 19, 2004, 07:28 AM
i have the same problem. here is the setup:

/airport extreme (latest software/firmware installed)

/g3 ibook & powerbook connects wirelessly to network without problems

/powerbook of friend (the card was bought in a later date) cannot find the network.

i tried reinstalling the os with the card connected. btw, i am talking about my friend's pb here. i updated all software.

i tried connecting the card to my pb, and my pb could not find the connection.

in system profiler, the mac says "wireless network is not available".

if i create a private network between the two powebooks, i can connect wirelessly (to the original poster: try creating a private network and try to transfer files between wireless clients, i think this should prove that the airport extreme card functions well).

oh i tried one more thing. in the admin utility, i even typed in the airport id manually, but to no avail.

thanks for any help you could give me/us :)

Josh396
Dec 19, 2004, 09:17 AM
Yesterday I went to my dads work where there is a wireless network. As soon as I turned on the iBook it detected the network and everything was good to go. When I came home it detected the belkin router and it has worked fine ever since. Thanks again for the help.

redAPPLE
Dec 19, 2004, 03:06 PM
Yesterday I went to my dads work where there is a wireless network. As soon as I turned on the iBook it detected the network and everything was good to go. When I came home it detected the belkin router and it has worked fine ever since. Thanks again for the help.

so you mean, it finally worked without you tinkering with the system?