Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
For years I have had a huge 46 inch paper weight taking up half of my living room. I cut off my cable back in 2007 after realizing that I was paying $100+ for something that I was hardly using. Since then I rarely fired up my tv except for some light gaming and to stream some netflix, on my 360.

Well I had enough and sold everything. A few days ago my iMac arrived and my media life has changed forever. The iMac is the worlds greatest television. Last night I watched a few tormented blurays, and streamed the daily show in hd and it was crystal clear from my couch 8 feet away. I don't need the 46 inches. I do wish they offered a 32 inch iMac but the clarity of the 27 makes up for it's demure size.

To have all my media stored locally is also a revalation. Not converted, streamed, or compressed. No right there where i
It can be accessed, shared, and manipulated on a real computer

That area of the room has been reclaimed from a rats nest of wires from the components, and tv into a zen home office that doubles as an entertainment center. Paired with my logitech speakers I get 99% of the bang in a much smaller package.

The irony is that my TV consumption will probably go up exponentially now that I don't need to worry about licensing deals, or crippled functionality on my 360. If it's available legally I'll just stream through HULU desktop, or whichever website. If it's not then I'll just fire up utorrent and my 20 mbps DSL will have me watching whatever I want in short order with no trans coding.

Loving it.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Uhm, ok. Saved money and "tormented" some BluRays?

But your media files are compressed, unless you have terabytes and terabytes of storage.

I'm thinking about cutting cable, but using a combination of OTA, Netflix, Amazon VOD, Hulu+, and iTunes for shows.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Including my internal hd I have 5 tb available. The largest bluray rip I have dowloaded yet is a completely uncompressed copy of a u2 performance. It was 14 gb. 5000gb \ 14 is 357 blu rays.

Most of them are in the 3-5gb range and still look fantastic.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Including my internal hd I have 5 tb available. The largest bluray rip I have dowloaded yet is a completely uncompressed copy of a u2 performance. It was 14 gb. 5000gb \ 14 is 357 blu rays.

Most of them are in the 3-5gb range and still look fantastic.

Even that U2 clip is compressed. It just wasn't recompressed from BluRay. Everything you are going to get is compressed, be it with MPEG2 (DVD), H.264 (BluRay), or VC-1 (BluRay).

http://web.forret.com/tools/video_fps.asp

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Fair enough. What I meant by "compressed" was the on the fly compression using Vuse to trans code HD content to a format acceptable for my 360 to handle, or my 360s inability to stream HD Netflix even though it was hard wired into a very fast connection.. But yes technically you are correct all video has been compressed to some varying degree...

Video looks great on the iMac though, and sounds fabulous through the logitechs as well. Bluray is about the highest res format available to consumers, and I have more then enough space for a ton of them.

Just got a Cs5 serial from a friend. I can't wait to get home and start playing around with it. Editing movies, and photos in 1440p is a whole new ball game from my Macbook pro.

Yet another thing my waste of space HDTV was incapable of.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Awesome home theater! Now you have a tiny screen and a machine that can't play back blu-ray. I think some of the home theater magazines might be calling you to do an article about that setup of yours.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Well I had enough and sold everything. A few days ago my iMac arrived and my media life has changed forever. The iMac is the worlds greatest television. Last night I watched a few tormented blurays, and streamed the daily show in hd and it was crystal clear from my couch 8 feet away. I don't need the 46 inches. I do wish they offered a 32 inch iMac but the clarity of the 27 makes up for it's demure size.

How is this "theater"?

Back in the day - that was called "television".

My home "theater" is a 65" screen from 6 feet away - that's a "theater" (I use a projector).

Sorry, you no longer have a "theater"...

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Dont listen to these guys. Enjoy your new set up and saving money. I have a nice home theatre set up and am sick of all of it too. Id love to simplify and plan on it soon.

scarboni21

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
For years I have had a huge 46 inch paper weight taking up half of my living room. I cut off my cable back in 2007 after realizing that I was paying $100+ for something that I was hardly using. Since then I rarely fired up my tv except for some light gaming and to stream some netflix, on my 360.

To have all my media stored locally is also a revalation. Not converted, streamed, or compressed. No right there where i
It can be accessed, shared, and manipulated on a real computer

That area of the room has been reclaimed from a rats nest of wires from the components, and tv into a zen home office that doubles as an entertainment center. Paired with my logitech speakers I get 99% of the bang in a much smaller package.

The irony is that my TV consumption will probably go up exponentially now that I don't need to worry about licensing deals, or crippled functionality on my 360. If it's available legally I'll just stream through HULU desktop, or whichever website. If it's not then I'll just fire up utorrent and my 20 mbps DSL will have me watching whatever I want in short order with no trans coding.

Loving it.

Do you never have people over:eek: this would be a great conversation

"hey do you want to come over to watch the game at my place, i just got this great new TV"

"o yeah how big is it?"

"Dude its huge its 27 inches and crystal clear. After the game we can torment some movies"

"no im busy"

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
Do you never have people over:eek: this would be a great conversation

"hey do you want to come over to watch the game at my place, i just got this great new TV"

"o yeah how big is it?"

"Dude its huge its 27 inches and crystal clear. After the game we can torment some movies"

"no im busy"

I laughed my butt off reading this but to the op, enjoy your new imac. I really wish I had one but for now I have to stick with my 15 inch macbook pro and windows pc.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I wish I had an iMac to clean up the mess that is my home studio. However never would I replace my 58" plasma with a 27" screen haha.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yeah even xvid files look crystal clear on a 27" screen. But on my 65" Screen anything less than 1080p looks suspect, thats why Itunes Downloads have been curtailed, Xbox's Downloads look a lot better, but for alot less money its worth just waiting for the Blu Ray to drop. I got Season 1 of Sons of Anarchy for $23 the other day. When Season 2 drops to that price I'll get that. Itunes wants way to much for 720P season pass Downloads.

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Not trying to be a stick in the mud here guys but let's avoid discussions of utorrent and content obtained illegaly. Lets not sully macrumors with such talk.

Netflix and Hulu both have a litany of legal and available content and make cutting the cable apron strings easy to do.

Enjoy your iMac, but consider the implications if caught "appropriating" your content. In the US it's easier than you can imagine to be banned as a customer with certain isps and tracking torrent ip's is easy and done regularly by MPAA paid watchdogs.

Have fun though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.