Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

^^ CoolMacLover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
On A Apple
Anyone know a good site for the tags (year, description, etc) of movies and TV shows? I could go googling each and everyone of them, but i'm crossing my fingers that there is like a database or something out there :D
I use http://www.themoviedb.org for my artwork.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

MetaX is a movie/TV tagging free program for Mac

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yep, but be careful with it. Some of us out there have gotten corrupt files from using MetaX. Subler has been more stable for me. The downside is that it doesn't return as many matches from tagchimp as metax does for some reason.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Yep, but be careful with it. Some of us out there have gotten corrupt files from using MetaX. Subler has been more stable for me. The downside is that it doesn't return as many matches from tagchimp as metax does for some reason.

Ah dont want that then, I've got Subler now, but theres no documentation, and I dont really know how o use it to be honest.

Ive added a file, searched for it, clicked add, and then all I see in the list is blank, I thought it would show the list of the meta data as it is embedded? is this not correct?

any guides or help please, I dont want to use MetaX if it is going to corrupt the files, I've spent an age converting them all to start with

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Has anyone else had any experience with Vidalin? I just checked out their site and it looks pretty cool. I may have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Vidalin is very simple and straightforward and has a decent search function that usually finds matches for recent popular movies. It only tags :apple:TV appropriate fields so if that's all you're looking for, should work fine for you.

Downside is that you can only tag one movie at a time, the search is limited and only works for movies (at least, only for movies the last time I used it).

I'm not sure what problems others are having with MetaX for I use the mac version and it works perfectly for me. I think a common problem that resulted in no video post MetaX tagging (black screen only with audio) is that people encoded in Handbrake with the large file option checked but didn't enable support for large files (64 bit) in MetaX). You can search TagChimp for existing listings and it's much more robust than Vidalin. I especially like it for tagging TV shows as I can set up a preset for a specific show that pre-fills consistent tag fields (actors, show name, artwork, etc), thus saving a ton of time. The other great feature is the ability to queue up a whole batch and let it run rather than do one at a time.

Downside with MetaX (also applies to Vidalin) is inability to add HD tag or cnID (field used by Apple to have multiple versions of one movie show up under one listing, i.e. SD and HD versions). For that, I use Subler. Subler is a very versatile program that can tag nearly any field and also has a TagChimp search but it's not as robust as MetaX and like Vidalin, can only tag one movie at a time.

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
Has anyone else had any experience with Vidalin? I just checked out their site and it looks pretty cool. I may have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

I have just downloaded it and used it on a couple of movies. Worked perfectly, picked up the tags and artwork no problems. Then saved them and I added them to iTunes.

Im happy :)

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
new, duplicate file. normal?

ok, one more question. I've never used any of these metadata editors before but would really like to in preparation of the new Apple TV. I just downloaded and tried out the Vidalin on one of my movies encoded in MP4 and it seemed to work perfectly. But it created a whole new file (duplicate of the original, but with all of the metadata tags) and i had to then import that new file into iTunes. Is this how they all work? I have about 100 movies that i ripped from DVD and encoded via Handbrake. Would i have to make duplicates off all of these and then import all of the new files and remove the old ones?

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
ok, one more question. I've never used any of these metadata editors before but would really like to in preparation of the new Apple TV. I just downloaded and tried out the Vidalin on one of my movies encoded in MP4 and it seemed to work perfectly. But it created a whole new file (duplicate of the original, but with all of the metadata tags) and i had to then import that new file into iTunes. Is this how they all work? I have about 100 movies that i ripped from DVD and encoded via Handbrake. Would i have to make duplicates off all of these and then import all of the new files and remove the old ones?

Yes i too would like to just update the metadata without having to create a new file if possible

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I use MetaX in combination with Wikipedia, IMDB and Getvideoartwork.com

TagChimp will fill in whatever info is there, and I use Wikipedia for the rest. IMDB I use rarely.

The issue of corrupt files with MetaX is certainly real, but I've tagged literally thousands of TV episodes and movies and have never had an issue with it.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
The issue of corrupt files with MetaX is certainly real, but I've tagged literally thousands of TV episodes and movies and have never had an issue with it.

What about using the other Meta data tools then? I use MetaX, but theres a lot out there about corrupt files.

iDentify2 is good so far.
Vidalin
Subler (cant work out to use it!)
I found all these from MF's

iDentify2 has a nice easy interface, so using this for now

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
After reading this thread i tried Vidalin and Subler.

Vidalin somehow didn't work as intended. Saving the retrieved metadata with some films was taking such a long time without anything happening that i had to force quit the application. Other files worked flawlessly though.

I had difficulties in figuring out how to use Subler. Apparently you have to drag a file on the icon and then the application window shows up. After retrieving the metadata i clicked on "save" but it didn't do anything ;-(

^^ CoolMacLover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
On A Apple
Seems the prefect app isnt out there, yet.

Problems with the current apps:

vidalin - Makes a whole new file
- Only one file at a time -.-
- Dunno if it was just me, but i found when it was searching, it took forever.

MetaX - The fact that you have around an 90% chance you files will break... Wonderful.

Subler - User interface sucks, i still cant work it out.

Why cant apple just give us all the options. Age ratings etc. Make everything so much easier :D

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma

and theirs a PC Version as well.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
How about VideoDrive (aroona.net). , i have not been able to use it much, but it looks good so far.

I am getting my EXT HDD soon and i have about 600 movies and TV shows to re-code for use in my new ATV

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
iDentify2 seems to be working for the best so far out of the ones listed in this thread. It is the easiest to work with, quick at finding results, and may be actually worth the $10 to upgrade to the full version to get access to all the features like auto add to iTunes.

However, does anyone else find that once it's done with one file, it takes a while to finish it and move on to the next file?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
iDentify2 seems to be working for the best so far out of the ones listed in this thread. It is the easiest to work with, quick at finding results, and may be actually worth the $10 to upgrade to the full version to get access to all the features like auto add to iTunes.

However, does anyone else find that once it's done with one file, it takes a while to finish it and move on to the next file?

I agree with the choice of iDentify2, i just sent in the 10$ for the full version. I found the speed ok, but i did ten at 1 time and just let it do it's thing over night.

I have about 600 movies and TV shows (TS folders) to run through handbrake (for ATV) and then move to iTunes using iDentify2. My plan is to try and do them in batches of ten.

My 2TB Ext HDD should be set up and ready to go in a week. I want to have everything ready so that christmas morning i can wow the family

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I have been looking through several post and i have not found the answer i was looking for on this.

I have a plan for my movies in iTunes, but i am struggling on the TV shows, i have several that i have all of the seasons for, so how have folks handled this in iTunes what folder structure have you used. Keep in mind i will be using a new Atv to view them.

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
I use Subler. Yeah, there's no documentation, but if you play around with it, it's very easy to use. Here are the basics:

1.) Rip a movie
2.) Launch Subler (you'll see the Subler icon in the dock)
3.) Open Finder and locate the movie file you want to tag
4.) Drag the movie file to the Subler icon on the dock - Subler will open
5.) Click on the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner
6.) Type in the movie name that you're looking to tag - hit enter
7.) Select the tag file you want to use - hit the "Add" button
8.) Clicking any blank line under "Chapter Track", etc., will show you the "Metadata", "Artwork", and "Other Settings" buttons.
9.) All of this info can be manually edited by double-clicking the field
10.) To change the artwork, double-click the artwork field, and hit "delete" to clear the field. You can then find artwork online (I prefer themoviedb.org), copy the image, and paste it into Subler's artwork field using "Command-V"
11.) Note: for those who intend on putting their movies on the iPad, check the "Create Preview Images" box under Subler's preferences. This will create those chapter preview images that you see for iPad videos
12.) Once all of the tagging information is to your liking, select "File-Save"
13.) Important: after you save it, select "File-Optimize" to finish the tagging operation
14.) Your file is now tagged. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.