Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Hi!

I have colour troubles when printing a pdf created from illustrator from an .ai file.

When printing directly from illustrator as .ai file, colours from printer match screen colours

When printing the pdf with Apple's Preview, colours from printer don't match screen colours. Colours on screen are OK, print colours are totally different (yellows are printed pink, browns printed blue and pinks printed orange).

When I open the same pdf with photoshop and print from there, colours in print output are fine.

One solution is to rasterise the file in Illustrator before saving as pdf, than the colours when printed with Preview are fine.

But: there must be a better way to save pdf's that will print good colours when saving in Illustrator. Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong?

Also, the soft proof is disabled in Preview, so I can't check the colours for sure, without printing, and that's costing a lot of wasted paper. Anyone know how I can soft proof the pdf's created in illustrator in another way?

Thanks!

Marjolein

eponym

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Is the AI file itself set to CMYK or RGB? Are there spot colours?

When you save the PDF, what settings are you using? Are you converting the color space? Are you leaving the "editable in illustrator" option checked off?

Also, in general—don't use Preview for soft proofing a PDF. If it's going to be printed, you should only be using Acrobat. Preferably Acrobat itself, but Reader is a better choice than Preview.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.