Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jorgecuatro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
my perfectly running ipod video 30gb had minimal water drop onto it mainly on clickwheel and/or bottom connection port.

it turned on, then shut off. i let it dry overnight, turned on, no sound, video worked. when i selected a song to play, it acted as if it were paused.

shut off and nothing again. nothing when plugged in.

i split it open, was slightly damp, has sat opened to dry for several days and still nothing.

help!

jorgecuatro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Im thinking something is up with the battery since it fired twice before. its been open on the seat of my car and only getting about 75 degrees in there. but internally i cannot find water at all. there was maybe a teaspoon of water to make contact with it

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
A teaspoon of water in the wrong place is as bad as a deluge. Your problem is described in your origional posting, e.g. you only waited a relatively short period of time to turn your device back on. A closer inspection revealed the device was still wet inside. Turning on the iPod with the internals wet will cause assorted short circuits and other bad things.

Follow the other poster's ideas to dry the iPod out completely, then see if she fires up. If not, then you need to do the old "do I get it fixed or throw it away" analysis. I love my 5th gen iPod, I just wish it had more space....:D

jorgecuatro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
odd thing is before i opened it up is it fired up perfectly, still had all my files, justr didnt produce sound. i then shut it off and proceeded to open it up. i just opened it and laid it down.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
my perfectly running ipod video 30gb had minimal water drop onto it mainly on clickwheel and/or bottom connection port.

it turned on, then shut off. i let it dry overnight, turned on, no sound, video worked. when i selected a song to play, it acted as if it were paused.

shut off and nothing again. nothing when plugged in.

i split it open, was slightly damp, has sat opened to dry for several days and still nothing.

help!

Time for a new one.

jorgecuatro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
could it be a battery? although it does nothing when plugged in. actually i didnt connect to laptop, just my car.

Kalebleo

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
Zunes are the best. Ive had mine since they first came out, nothing ever happened to it. I highly recommend it. I even dropped mine once and nothing happened to it, never.

jorgecuatro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
so i have a disassmebled ipod in front of me.

what to do. i think its battery related

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
In case you can't revive it, you can "trade it in" at Apple and get 10% off the price of a new iPod, or Apple can do an out-of-warranty replacement for somewhere between $100 and $200 (each generation is different).

jorgecuatro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
not worth the 10-15 in savings to me. i think its the battery. i will find another battery and give it a try.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
so i have a disassmebled ipod in front of me.

what to do. i think its battery related

If you think it's the battery, as you keep saying, then simply test the battery:
1. Get a voltmeter.
2. Measure the battery voltage.
3. Interpret the measurement.

There's really no way anyone can reach through their computer, attach a voltmeter to your disassembled ipod, read the meter, then tell you whether it's the battery or not.

If you don't know how to use a voltmeter or interpret what it tells you, then you really can't do anything but replace parts and see if it fixes things. If you replace the battery and it starts working, then you probably guessed right. Otherwise you didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.