Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
So I have an idea for my home theater set up and I was wondering if anybody here would think this is possible:

I have been in the process of ripping my DVD collection to iTunes and was thinking of moving my entire iTunes library to a networked hard drive and then accessing from my Macs across the network, in addition I would be wanting to access that library from the new AppleTV. My reasoning for doing it as network storage is as follows: 1) I need more storage for my library so external makes sense to me, 2) I would love to free up hd space on both of my computers and share the same library ( this is know is possible with some fiddling), 3) I am hoping AppleTV would be able to stream from the library with needing iTunes open and my Mac turned on or awake.

Number 3 is where I am hoping someone here can help. Do you think there is any way AppleTV will be able to access an iTunes library over a network on externally stored hd without a computer in the middle. It this isn't possible I will just hook up an external hd directly to one of my macs and share it but I would love to eliminate the middle man if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.