Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Here are two separate problems - that is, I don´t THINK they´re related:

1 I just started using a SanDisk compact flash PC card adapter (PCMCIA) to view photos on my PB. It mounts fine, iPhoto pops up as default, I can see, copy etc my photos. The problem comes when I want to eject the card. Physically this is no problem, but the "eject" arrow in Finder doesn´t seem to work; the card remains in Finder, and when I finally remove it physically (after many attempts at ejecting it virtually), I get the standard "You didn´t do that correctly and you can corrupt data that way"- message. What should I do??

2 At around the same time I started using the card, I noticed that the CPU meter shows at or near 100% quite a bit of the time, even when I´ve only got Camino or Safari and Mail open. I can hear the disc whirring like crazy. It´s not a problem 100% of the time, and I can´t figure out a pattern. What could be causing this? I repaired permissions (I had no idea what I was doing, but had read about this being a solution to many problems, so I found it in utilities and did it) and right now the problem is gone. Did I solve it this way, or is it just a coincidence?

Sorry this was a long post.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
annk said:
Here are two separate problems - that is, I don´t THINK they´re related:

1 I just started using a SanDisk compact flash PC card adapter (PCMCIA) to view photos on my PB. It mounts fine, iPhoto pops up as default, I can see, copy etc my photos. The problem comes when I want to eject the card. Physically this is no problem, but the "eject" arrow in Finder doesn´t seem to work; the card remains in Finder, and when I finally remove it physically (after many attempts at ejecting it virtually), I get the standard "You didn´t do that correctly and you can corrupt data that way"- message. What should I do??

2 At around the same time I started using the card, I noticed that the CPU meter shows at or near 100% quite a bit of the time, even when I´ve only got Camino or Safari and Mail open. I can hear the disc whirring like crazy. It´s not a problem 100% of the time, and I can´t figure out a pattern. What could be causing this? I repaired permissions (I had no idea what I was doing, but had read about this being a solution to many problems, so I found it in utilities and did it) and right now the problem is gone. Did I solve it this way, or is it just a coincidence?

Sorry this was a long post.
#1: Use Disk Utility to eject the stubborn disk for now. It can be found in Utilities - it's the same program you use to repair permissions.
#2. Safari has been known to drive CPU usage to 100% at times, but other than that, I haven't a clue what's going on here.

As far as long posts go, this one's nothing compared to others I've seen.

Oh, and what's up with your apostrophes? You seem to be using the ´ character when you should be using the ' character. I can type ´ with option-e space on my Mac. ' is typed using its key - the key is located 1 to the left of the Return key.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
The apostrophes are no doubt a result of the fact that I have an American keyboard, set to act as a Norwegian keyboard. I touchtype, but am sometimes unsure of non-letters when switching back and forth. I thought I had to use the key I use for apostrophes, but now that you point it out, I'll take a look at the bluetooth Norwegian keyboard I just got, and make sure I use the correct key from now on. Thanks!

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
You should be able to control-click (right click) on the card reader in the Finder, and eject it from that menu.

Might work, might not.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
bubbamac said:
You should be able to control-click (right click) on the card reader in the Finder, and eject it from that menu.

Might work, might not.

No, that was one of the first things I tried - it didn't work. But if it happens again, I'll try the disk utilities-solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.