PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried about traveling to Mexico with my iPad?

pshady
Sep 17, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hi,
I will be going on business to Mexico City in a couple of weeks. The last time I was in Peru, I had the national police stop me in the airport and they essentially asked for a bribe.

I would like to take my iPad with me on the trip but am worried that it's too attractive of a target and might be confiscated from me by immigration, etc. Am I being paranoid?

Anyone have success traveling with it to Mexico?

miles01110
Sep 17, 2010, 11:46 AM
You should be worried about traveling to Mexico in general, not just with your iPad. If you don't need it, don't bring it.

pshady
Sep 17, 2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah, but I have to go for work. I'd rather not.

gatearray
Sep 17, 2010, 11:56 AM
Also, don't let your iPad drink the water.

:)

pshady
Sep 17, 2010, 11:58 AM
Great. My wife is already paranoid due to the violence.

miles01110
Sep 17, 2010, 12:00 PM

Mexico City isn't as bad as the border cities right now. You're a lot safer in MC than at the border, but it doesn't take much to be a lot safer than the border.

Mac_Max
Sep 17, 2010, 12:28 PM
Most of the negativity and paranoia surrounding Mexico is due to the border towns and morons that go looking for trouble in TJ. Mexicans are an extremely nice people, even to a McGringo like myself (Curly brown hair, green eyes, and a red beard usually makes you stick out down there ;)).

You're a stranger so use an appropriate level of heightened situational awareness and you should be fine. As a rule of thumb, I don't bring anything unnecessary with me when I travel. If the iPad is for pleasure, don't bring it. Don't bring it if you can just bring your materials on a key drive. If you have an older laptop, bring that instead. I'd be more worried about damage than theft.

Being a larger city, Mexico city is not as impoverished as the border towns so you might run into another iPad owner along the way.

mlts22
Sep 17, 2010, 12:28 PM
As stated above, bring as little with you as you can, and insure what you do bring.

Also, I highly recommend considering a K&R (kidnap and ransom) insurance policy with a well known company if traveling to Mexico. This way, there is a good chance you get to keep your fingers, ears, and toes if taken hostage, especially if people know you are down there for company business.

miles01110
Sep 17, 2010, 12:31 PM
Most of the negativity and paranoia surrounding Mexico is due to the border towns and morons that go looking for trouble in TJ.

Actually most of the negativity and paranoia surrounding Mexico is because of the drug cartels and the potential for violence to break out pretty much anywhere in the country.

Your statement about Mexicans being nice people is true everywhere. Even Afghanis are nice people. I just wouldn't go for a walk in downtown Kabul right now. It has less to do with the people being nice and more to do with the threat of violence, especially against American citizens.

akal575
Sep 17, 2010, 01:46 PM
Bring a bible and some bear mace. You'll probably need both

maturola
Sep 17, 2010, 02:31 PM
Hi,
I will be going on business to Mexico City in a couple of weeks. The last time I was in Peru, I had the national police stop me in the airport and they essentially asked for a bribe.

I would like to take my iPad with me on the trip but am worried that it's too attractive of a target and might be confiscated from me by immigration, etc. Am I being paranoid?

You got nothing to worry about, you will follow the same rules as when you vist anywhere else, like any other place, you there are places you don't want to go, make sure you ask the local and keep and be alert, don't advertise what you got and you will be fine. It is as dangerous as visiting Atlanta or Miami. There are good places and bad places, no reason to be paranoic about it.

nateo200
Sep 17, 2010, 02:32 PM
Dress and carry like your going to parachute into iraq...just sayin i love my ipad but Mexico is literally FUBAR.

Numenase
Sep 17, 2010, 02:36 PM
Way too much paranoia!, if youŽre travelling to Mexico City youŽll be fine as in any other major city of the world, I think you wonŽt be using the subway or the bus, where most of the tech robberies happen, also I think youŽll be surprise of how many mexicans owns an Iphone or an Ipad, so donŽt hop in the paranoia train! Just keep an eye in your surroundings! Have a nice day!

nastebu
Sep 17, 2010, 02:53 PM
Seriously, Mexico is hardly comparable to Afghanistan. There are a lot of problems right now, but it's a warm, comfortable, inviting country that is a great place to visit.

Yes. Be careful. That does mean beware of pickpockets, and that also means avoid ostentatious displays of wealth. Don't start tapping away on your expensive laptop or iPad in a place where you don't feel particularly safe.

No, it's not a problem. Customs is much more friendly than JFK, and much more professional.

AldoRay
Sep 17, 2010, 03:37 PM
To answer your question, no, immigration will not confiscate your iPad. It's the job of customs to stop people from bringing illegal items into a country, and the iPad is perfectly legal in Mexico. My iPad has been to Mexico twice now and customs couldn't care less.

DO NOT attempt to bring any illegal drugs into Mexico, as their laws regarding possession are far more strict than in the US. (Which is of course ironic, given they produce most of the illegal drugs purchased every year in the US.)

Do take your common sense and leave any ignorance you may or may not have about the country at home. If you know any Spanish at all, use it, even if it is only Gracias. You will find it is very much appreciated.

Despite what you may have read here, Americans are not singled-out for acts of violence. However, as with visiting any big city that you are not familiar with, I would leave the Rolex at home.

I think if you approach your trip with an open mind, you will find yourself pleasantly surprised.

FX4568
Sep 17, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hi,

Dude. I lived in Mexico City for 9 years.
Will they ask for bribes? yes they will.
How much? 5 dollars.
Will they detain you for having an ipad? Hahaha no.
Are you being paranoid? Yes you are.

kdarling
Sep 17, 2010, 03:53 PM
Visiting Mexico City is like visiting any large city like New York or Barcelona or whatever... just stay in lighted, populated areas.

We vacation in Mexico every year, and have no problem taking the latest tech gear with us.

The only bribe situation you might encounter would be if you rented a car and got stopped for speeding. Bribes are a common way to avoid a ticket.

As for violence, that's almost all confined to border towns and/or Mexican officials in other towns. Again, stay near other tourists and you'll be fine.

As others have said, Mexicans are a good and friendly people. Even the poorest are hard working and have pride and manners, unlike a lot of the poor in some other countries. I feel safer there than many places.

Your wife is going to have a great time.

NXTMIKE
Sep 17, 2010, 04:07 PM
You should be more than fine. There's many authorized Apple retailer stores in Mexico City, and they're not new to Apple products. In fact, the airport's new terminal is nicer than the semi-new terminal up here in Toronto (and probably even safer). And I'd consider Mexico City is just as safe as major US cities like the other poster said, but with a considerably larger population.

...just don't wip it out in the middle of a rural cafe if you're the only person there, and be generally street smart just like you would anywhere else. I'd say you should be more worried about the safety of the food you eat than your iPad.

sources: travelled there 5 times.

leomac08
Sep 17, 2010, 04:30 PM
I have gone to El Salvador with my 3G iPad and yes, I was worried about the gangs (aka the worlds most dangerous gang: MS-13) and crazy people out their (bums, cops). I never took it out from my home. I only took it out in the airport for free wifi (and immigration never even saw it, it was a carry-on inside the plane inside my backpack) and I played with it personally at my home in San Salvador but never took it to the streets, markets, or my families homes. I actually considered my iPad like a president would protect the football in El Salvador.

Glad I'm back in california! :D

racer1441
Sep 17, 2010, 05:19 PM
You should be worried about traveling to Mexico in general, not just with your iPad.

Quoted for Truth.

iKrl
Sep 17, 2010, 05:34 PM
I live in Mexico City, I have an iPad, many people do too and use them in public. My recomendation is to use your iPad when you are at a mall or someplace safe like that. Regarding your concern about being stopped at customs, the iPad was released here a long time ago so they shan't stop you for bringing such a device. Mexico city is a safe as any other huge city, the north of Mexico is the part where all the violence is taking place and if you aren't going there you really don't have anything to worry about.

Writen from my iPad

El Jack
Sep 17, 2010, 07:22 PM
Take it easy...

Enjoy the sun, soak up some culture, take the wife for a dance. Don't let the media misrepresentation of a specific drug cartel conflict in another part of the country misguide you. Dare I ask, but why are some societies so fearful and suspecting of others when they travel ravel abroad? The perception of self-importance will only further stand you out as the 'valuable tourist'.

Have a great trip, but do mind the water.

bowlerman625
Sep 17, 2010, 08:16 PM

Yeah really, the iPad is the least of your worries!

dread
Sep 18, 2010, 08:36 AM
I bring my iPad to east Africa without issue and use my iPhone there as well. Just don't flaunt your **** man and always keep a small amount of money in your pocket to pay people off if you get pushed for a bribe. Just say it is all you have and never take out your wallet or wear nice things like a fancy watch.

filfortugno
Sep 18, 2010, 09:23 AM
i wouldn't go to southern California because of its proximity to mexico and you want to go with your ipad. I supposed I'm biased because of getting threatened to get my hand chopped off in Mexico city if i didn't hand over my wallet. If i were you, I'd find another job that doesn't involve going to that barbaric place.

JCCL
Sep 18, 2010, 09:26 AM
The amount of ignorance in this thread really makes me laugh. I live in Mexico, can go freely wherever I want in my Mercedez. Use and iPhone 4 and two laptops that I have either on with me all the time......nothing happens. Drug conflict is overblown by the media.Sure it is bad, but normal citizens aren't much affected, and it is just drug lords killing each other. Some cities in the North have gone really bad. For the most part, in much other cities, if you don't go to the bad places, you are as secure as you are in any major city in the US. I have lived almost 30 years here, never have been mugged or anytthing, neither my girlfriend with whom I live, my dad who is past 60 or my mother (well she was mugged once, in a trip while she was in London).

Torresangel88
Sep 18, 2010, 09:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I took my iPad to Mexico and nothing happened they just asked what was that and I told them it was my personal computer they dint even care. just take it don't be afraid

PanAm-L1011
Sep 18, 2010, 11:07 AM
I took my to Mexico a couple months ago and had no problems. I never took it out of the villa I was staying at. You are being paranoid. I found Mexicans to be such warm and nice people.

sinsin07
Sep 18, 2010, 11:58 AM
Should I be worried about traveling to Mexico with my iPad?

Yes. You should be worried about traveling to Mexico period. Good Luck.

LinkMx
Sep 18, 2010, 03:36 PM
Yes. You should be worried about traveling to Mexico period. Good Luck.

And you should be worried about being a douche. I can't believe the level of ignorance some people have. As other have said he shouldn't have any problems as long as he is careful (as in any other big cities) as for sinsin07 and the others please never come to Mexico, we don't want ignorant people like you here.

racer1441
Sep 18, 2010, 05:50 PM
And you should be worried about being a douche. I can't believe the level of ignorance some people have. As other have said he shouldn't have any problems as long as he is careful (as in any other big cities) as for sinsin07 and the others please never come to Mexico, we don't want ignorant people like you here.

It isn't ignorance when backed up by evidence. How many responses on this thread alone end with "as long as you are careful and stay out of trouble."

Anyone should be concerned when traveling abroad, period.

normwood
Sep 18, 2010, 05:58 PM
You should be worried about traveling to Mexico in general, not just with your iPad. If you don't need it, don't bring it.

^
^
^
THIS!

Built
Sep 18, 2010, 06:39 PM
It isn't ignorance when backed up by evidence. How many responses on this thread alone end with "as long as you are careful and stay out of trouble."

EXACTLY. Regardless where you travel, you need to have your wits about you. This comes more easily for some people...obviously based on where you grew up. I grew up in NYC and always have "eyes in back of my head" which has saved me from some bad situations.

Unfortunately, some people are not "wired" that way, or don't want to believe the world is as "rough" and dangerous as it is.

I used to travel a lot for business to Brazil, and this one woman I worked with was mugged three times, and never seemed to learn her lesson. Sweet woman, but she insisted on wearing her jewelry and loosely holding her purse as she walked down the street. She's lucky that mugging is ALL that happened to her.

You need to be careful wherever you go...whether it be NYC or Mexico or Timbuktu.

iKrl
Sep 18, 2010, 07:11 PM
i wouldn't go to southern California because of its proximity to mexico and you want to go with your ipad. I supposed I'm biased because of getting threatened to get my hand chopped off in Mexico city if i didn't hand over my wallet. If i were you, I'd find another job that doesn't involve going to that barbaric place.

GOD! you are such an ignorant enclosed person! If I were you I would know how to look at a place from two different perspectives, not only your personal experience!

JCCL
Sep 18, 2010, 07:27 PM
Never known anyone who got their hand chopped for their wallet thank you very much.....you just don't go to bad neighborhoods, like everywhere else, and you will be safe. Some neighborhoods in NYC can far more "barbaric places" than some in Mexico City. In the places I move within Mexico, and the places where any intelligent should stay in, you should be as safe as anywhere...

racer1441
Sep 18, 2010, 07:54 PM
You need to be careful wherever you go...whether it be NYC or Mexico or Timbuktu.

Right on the target there. Believing that doesn't make you ignorant or racist, but smart.

LinkMx
Sep 18, 2010, 08:31 PM

I understand that, the problem is people saying stuff like "You should be worried about traveling to Mexico in general", I know you should be careful whenever you travel, but saying stuff like that comes off as ignorant and retarded, specially when a lot of americans think that all of Mexico is like Tijuana.

NXTMIKE
Sep 18, 2010, 08:51 PM
Should I be worried about taking my iPad to the Bronx, I'm going there on a business trip.....??? (example)

Honestly, there's a lot of places in the US that are more dangerous than Mexico City. Plus I could tell you that half the people posting here telling you not to go, have never been to Mexico outside of the news they see on TV.

baypharm
Sep 19, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hi,

Uh YA!! With all the violence in Mexico I can't believe you would even consider taking your ipad. I would also take a gun for personal protection down there. Most of the police and law enforcement are on the payroll of the drug cartels. Been there done that chief. Word to the wise.

racer1441
Sep 19, 2010, 07:31 PM
Uh YA!! With all the violence in Mexico I can't believe you would even consider taking your ipad. I would also take a gun for personal protection down there. Most of the police and law enforcement are on the payroll of the drug cartels. Been there done that chief. Word to the wise.

This is the major different between dangerous US cities and dangerous cities in Mexico. The police may not be getting paid to protect you in Mexico.

iKrl
Sep 19, 2010, 09:53 PM
Should I be worried about taking my iPad to the Bronx, I'm going there on a business trip.....??? (example)

Honestly, there's a lot of places in the US that are more dangerous than Mexico City. Plus I could tell you that half the people posting here telling you not to go, have never been to Mexico outside of the news they see on TV.

+1
To those who believe the police in Mexico City is payed by the drug cartels you are wrong, the police in Mexico City is of no interest to the drug dealers because the drug war is taking place in the north of Mexico like 500 miles away. The police may be corrupt but Mexico City is at this moment in time as safe as any other huge city and there is really no reason to be as paranoid as some of you guys are.

nfl46
Sep 19, 2010, 10:52 PM
Good luck in MC! Lol. You will need it! I agree with the person that said bring a bible! Honestly, I wouldn't bring it, but thats just me.

Tomple
Sep 19, 2010, 10:54 PM
Good luck in MC! Lol. You will need it! I agree with the person that said bring a bible! Honestly, I wouldn't bring it, but thats just me.

hahah +1

charlie.mo
Sep 19, 2010, 11:36 PM
This is kind of an insult for mexicans like myself. Good luck to the OP...
:cool:

Built
Sep 19, 2010, 11:51 PM
This is kind of an insult for mexicans like myself. Good luck to the OP...
:cool:

Oh get over it...

I'm from the Bronx originally...I grew up there. The Bronx was/is/could be a dangerous place. Frankly, I grew up in the 'hood. You think I am insulted when somebody makes a derogatory remark about how "bad" the Bronx is???

Get over yourself...

saturnino3
Sep 19, 2010, 11:58 PM
Ignorance is bliss...

Sent from my iPad from my family's home in Tijuana (fact)

Built
Sep 20, 2010, 12:03 AM
Ignorance is bliss...

Sent from my iPad from my family's home in Tijuana (fact)

Shall I start posting links to articles on the "kidnapping gangs" of Mexico????

You need to be wary EVERYWHERE...but I think certain EXTRA precautions need to be taken not only in Mexico, but in any number of countries.

People need to quit trying to turn this into an "anti-Mexican" thing. This is about the country...about crime..NOT about the Mexican people as an ethnicity and as a culture.

So somebody asks a legit question, and now they're accused of being racist??? Unbelievable

Mitchrapp
Sep 21, 2010, 03:27 AM
Just stay away from taking a cab. And do what Monk does, bring your own water. But I wouldn't just be fancy free because of a few "I live in Mexico or sent from my home in Tijuana" jumbo. Be careful.

For all the "Mexico is great" speeches, I could bring up all the "Mexico is dog ****" stuff. Be smart.

iKrl
Sep 21, 2010, 11:07 PM
Just stay away from taking a cab. And do what Monk does, bring your own water. But I wouldn't just be fancy free because of a few "I live in Mexico or sent from my home in Tijuana" jumbo. Be careful.

For all the "Mexico is great" speeches, I could bring up all the "Mexico is dog ****" stuff. Be smart.

You can as easily say that for wherever you live, nowhere is perfect and noware is a complete dog **** stuff (whatever you mean by that).

By the way you don't need to take your own water, tap water is bad so you just buy bottled water in a store, no need to bring it from the US.

LisaMag
Feb 6, 2011, 02:48 PM
My husband and I go to Cancun every year. We have brought our iPhones and iPad and there's no concern. Just bring it on your carry on. No one has tried to confiscate any equipment ever. Enjoy, and whoever posted about the water, it's 2011. All the resorts have filtered water. Just stick to your work, and stay close to your resort. Mexico City is a bit crazier than Cancun. But you'll be fine. _ Or, I'm posting late, probably already was fine.

Hi,

mixzz1
Feb 7, 2011, 06:20 PM
I've lived in Cancun, Mexico for six years. I don't travel to the northern border cities. I do travel to Mexico City. I've never been accosted or threatened in any way. I routinely travel with an iPad or one of several new ThinkPads. If (and it's a big if) someone's been threatened with something as crude as an amputation, they were probably in a very wrong part of town.

The xenophobia, ignorance and stupidity contained in some of the replies to this thread makes me shake my head in wonder. I just watched the 6 PM news carried by the local ABC affiliate in New York City (Dish Network satellite TV). In the half hour newscast there were more deaths reported in one night than we have had in Cancun in 6 months.

Traveling to the Federal District where Mexico City is located is as safe if not safer than travel to New York or London. And you'll find Mexicans friendlier and more courteous than the inhabitants of New York or London as well.

cloakedpegasus
Feb 13, 2011, 08:55 AM
Did the op make it back from his trip just fine?

testcard
Feb 14, 2011, 03:25 PM
Probably, if the ransom was paid on time. Seriously, I'd like to know too. OP, please update.

ECUpirate44
Feb 14, 2011, 03:30 PM
This thread was set up for dirty comments lol

BrunoMac
Feb 20, 2011, 07:56 PM
12 Taxi drivers and fares found dead in Acapulco.

Oh yeah Mexico is safe. Not. Wouldn't go on a free trip to Mexico.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/02/20/international/i103709S09.DTL&tsp=1

lilnyc
Feb 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
I live in NYC, and one day I saw someone on the subway reading a Kindle (pre-iPad). I didn't know it was one initially because she had a nice cover that made it look like a book. I have since been carrying my iPad in a Vaja case that opens like a book. It's a disguise sort-of, but some people recognize it anyway.

When I was in the Caribbean on a cruise, and we went on land, I opted not to take my large, expensive camcorder.

So in response to the question, if you are concerned enough to even ask, I would think it best not to take it or to disguise it well.