Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarathonRock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I was curious if anyone knows of an external speaker that plugs into the headphone jack. I just got the Nano 6th generation and wanted something like the Switcheasy Thumbtack, but wanted it to port sound out. I wanted to use the Nano as a watch and trying to find the smallest attachment for porting sound out. Thanks!

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
You could use a small FM transmitter that plugs into the Dock Connector (like the Griffin iTrip) and broadcast it to a small handheld radio in your pocket.

The Cube device above looks really thick and bulky for "wristwatch" use. The iTrip is thinner and smaller overall than the Cube above (yet still a tiny bit wider than the 6Gen nano, I believe), and would work with any FM radio, so if you want to have an inpromptu house party, just place the nano + iTrip near a home stereo and tune in.

EDIT: I'd like to see Apple or Belkin or Griffin make a Dock Connector mini-speaker; it could be tiny, like the speaker built into the 5th gen nano, but powered by the Dock Connector with a small, unobtrusive profile. The headphone jack does not generate enough power to move speakers larger than headphone speakers, so that's IMO not a good route for a solution.

Kalebleo

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
If i was you i would buy an external speaker because the one that is on the ipod touch is not good at all! you can't hear anything and anyway when you buy an external speaker most of them charge up the ipod as well as play music that saves you plugging it into the computer to charge it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.