Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakee.stoltz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
As a pilot, the iPod Touch is pretty handy when it comes to getting weather, filing flight plans, getting an airport diagram, etc..

Me personally, I use Aeroweather and AirWX for weather related info and AOPA Airports for an AFD. I've used ForeFlight for the trial period but can't bring myself to pay for a subscription, although it is a great app.

Any other pilots in here? If so, what kinds of apps are you using?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Just maek sure you turn off all electronic devices during take-off and landing. :rolleyes:

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
I use Foreflight for flight planning, AFD and weather. The $75 annual subscription is easily worth it. The same license also works on the iPad which has "drag & drop" flight planning and makes a great approach plate viewer.

I also use CoPilot for weight & balance and basic E6B functions.

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I am a comercial pilot an fly Citations, Gulfstreams etc.

I use:
Aero Weather
Foreflight
Fltplan.com web site
FAR/AIM

colourtheatre

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
i find flight control extremely useful for prepping me for my long distance flights.. jk.. sorry. just.. had to.. add something to this. pilots are awesome

stallie

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Aeroweather +1. Excellent
Touchplan is good for quick "back of serviette" calculations to see whether a route is feasible
Time Calc - no more snotty emails from Tech Records criticising my arithmetic...
Log Ten - Great Logbook calculator
Mental Case - Great study app when combined with the mac version to make quizzes for your aircraft type / ops manual bits.
World View - Great to see what the weather is doing at your destination via webcams there. Add your regular places into favourites and updates them automatically.

And what I am still looking for...

Is an app that I can put in a load of (bush) airport locations that don't have ICAO codes into favourites and when finished scroll to find two I want then it will tell me the GC distance. If for long routes, it could also look up the average wind (like touchplan) that would be a bonus. Any ideas / developers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.