Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
When you download an app and you like it, you might want to share the app with friends and family. There's a "Tell a Friend" button allows that other persons to learn about and download the app.

When I click the "Tell a Friend" button, it wants me to give them their email, I want to accomplish this through an SMS though.

Any suggestions? Perhaps an app is out there that lets you tell others about apps?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
When you download an app and you like it, you might want to share the app with friends and family. There's a "Tell a Friend" button allows that other persons to learn about and download the app.

When I click the "Tell a Friend" button, it wants me to give them their email, I want to accomplish this through an SMS though.

Any suggestions? Perhaps an app is out there that lets you tell others about apps?

Umm...how about texting them the name of the app??

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010

I was simply asking if there was an app already out there or a way to change the option from email to SMS. It sounds like a good feature to me that is lacking right now.

I just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. No wonder you aren't helping, you can't even send an SMS.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
What exactly was wrong with those two suggestions, other than they were obvious?

*Picks up Phone*

Me: Hey man, download this app.
Him: Ok
Me: Ok
Him: Is that all?
Me: I guess so.

*Goes to meet him in person*

Him: So why'd you want to see me in person?
Me: To show you this app.
Him: Are you high, I stopped work for this???
Me: Sorry, some rube on MacRumors told me to do it in person. I sure feel like an idiot listening to that chump.
Him: Look, I got to get back to work.
Me: Alright man, sorry for wasting your time.

Seriously, should I call and meet the dozen or so people I want to share the app with? Other than being obvious(which isn't helpful) your advice is highly impracticable thus near useless.
And you where being smug (ie the 'duh factor' and the *gasp*)
Next.

-poloponies

*Sends a text*

Me: Hey bud, search for the app "..."
Him: I did and there are like 10 copy apps, which one?
Me: The title is "..." and the producer is "..."
Him: I think I got it, I'll look into it, see ya.
Me: OK, see ya.

------
I'm simply wondering if there's a suggest an app feature yet be it on the phone itself or an app. Very simple question. If you can't answer it, don't respond. Simple as that. Texting works, but it could be better.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
------
I'm simply wondering if there's a suggest an app feature yet be it on the phone itself or an app. Very simple question. If you can't answer it, don't respond. Simple as that. Texting works, but it could be better.

Email works just fine, being rude is not going to get anywhere.... If they don't have an Email they CANNOT download the app, so a SMS is useless!....

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Email works just fine, being rude is not going to get anywhere.... If they don't have an Email they CANNOT download the app, so a SMS is useless!....

*facepalm*

96 contact entries are on my iPhone.
30 of them are iPhones.
Of those 30, I know maybe 6 emails, some friends have multiple emails also.

When did I say they didn't have an email???

Such a simple question. I'm re-posting this on the iPhone board since none of you obviously know the answer. The mods can delete this one.

Ps. I was in a good mood until some schmuck posted a smug comment that was neither helpful and damn near insulting towards my intelligence. Check my history, I've helped a lot of people on these boards.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
*Picks up Phone*

Me: Hey man, download this app.
Him: Ok
Me: Ok
Him: Is that all?
Me: I guess so.

*Goes to meet him in person*

Him: So why'd you want to see me in person?
Me: To show you this app.
Him: Are you high, I stopped work for this???
Me: Sorry, some rube on MacRumors told me to do it in person. I sure feel like an idiot listening to that chump.
Him: Look, I got to get back to work.
Me: Alright man, sorry for wasting your time.

Seriously, should I call and meet the dozen or so people I want to share the app with? Other than being obvious(which isn't helpful) your advice is highly impracticable thus near useless.
And you where being smug (ie the 'duh factor' and the *gasp*)
Next.

*Sends a text*

Me: Hey bud, search for the app "..."
Him: I did and there are like 10 copy apps, which one?
Me: The title is "..." and the producer is "..."
Him: I think I got it, I'll look into it, see ya.
Me: OK, see ya.

------

I'm sorry, but your getting the responses you are because your title makes you sound like you "can't believe there is ONLY an option for email!" Hey, its fine if you think you should be able to text a suggested app to someone. It doesn't however mean it is a good idea to anyone else. The email works because it can be more elegant/professional in its presentation and can be explained and even include pics. A text would have to fit into 160 characters, and would have to include the link. Doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Why don't you just text them the link to it in the app store, and add: "hey, check this app out...", followed by the itunes link?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
{You have been elevated to tier two support}

In addition to the obvious suggestions made earlier, consider the following:

Carrier pigeon
certified mail
telegraph
AM/FM radio ad

None of those require e-mail either.

Call them. Problem solved (btw- this was suggested in the first reply).

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Wait - there are non-helpful people on the internet?

Quite so - I am surprised too!

In all seriousness though, it's a shame that no-one felt like they could give a straightforward question a straightforward answer!

Unfortunately I can't think of anything to do what you're suggesting, although it might require jailbreaking the phone to intercept the "Tell a friend" function and alter its behaviour. As such you're unlikely to find an app in the store that repurposes the button.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I don't know who is being non-helpful. I was completely serious in my first post, if a little condescending. In addition to the methods listed there and my second reply, leave a message on their facebook wall. Or send a text.

This problem really did not take that much imagination or brain power to come up with multiple viable solutions. It should have been obvious that you can't repurpose the "Tell a Friend" button to send a text message ; I need to stop giving people even that much credit, apparently.

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
To be fair, the OP was quite specific about SMS, and I assume he would not have asked the question if he thought that it was silly... Then again the title is a little at odds with the first post (in that the post talks about SMS whereas the title does not).

Is carrier pigeon a viable solution in your experience?! ;)

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Didn't read all the posts so I'm not sure if this was mentioned but a screenshot of the App via SMS is a good option. I too wish Apple would allow for a different option, hell if I know most of my friends' e-mail addresses and by the time I get on Facebook to see if it's there might as well not even bother telling them.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
It sounds like the OP wants a solution that doesn't exist anywhere, so he calls us "fruits" and talks down to us. If I took him seriously, I might be offended. It's just funny now though. Yawn.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Tap tell a friend. Copy the link from the newly generated email then paste it into a txt. Is it really that hard??

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
It sounds like the OP wants a solution that doesn't exist anywhere, so he calls us "fruits" and talks down to us. If I took him seriously, I might be offended. It's just funny now though. Yawn.

He sent me an inflammatory PM after I called him a bit of an ass hole for rejecting perfectly good suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.