Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Just wondering how many iMac users are lining up to get the next installment of Civ? Also, I would like to hear back on what method people plan to use to run the game...in a VM or via Bootcamp? All other Civ versions were available for Mac OS but currently Civ V will not launch with OSX as an option to run natively.

Also, report back the best settings for running the game once it is released on 9/21.

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Personally, I'll be waiting until a version comes out on Steam for Mac (and for reviews to see if its actually as good as its rumoured to be). Until then, Civ IV will do just fine for me!

SSWilson

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
I pre-ordered on Steam so I can play in bootcamp until the native version is available which hopefully wont take to long. Nice thing about Steam, buy a game once and play it on all supported platforms. I might give it a shot under Parallels VM since I really don't care much for booting into Windows.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I will be, to play under BootCamp.

@SSWilson: You'll see a significant loss of quality trying to play via virtualization. The graphics requirements are too demanding.

titovv123

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
Have it, no luck though...

I just bought civ V, have a mac intel i7, 15 inches... but no luck with the game, i will try though tomorrow and post my results... so if anyone has any luck... well..

im running it with a Windows 7

SSWilson

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
CivV runs perfectly on my 27" mid 2010 iMac at native resolution. I can even run in a VM with Parallels 6 but the graphics are not great.

EDIT: Should have mentioned that I am using bootcamp with Win 7 64 bit.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I also got the game but have only tried it under Fusion VM which does work in native resolution but I had to turn the graphics way down and dedicate more hardware resources to the VM which slowed down my Host OS a lot.

I have to reinstall my Bootcamp partition and I am sure it will work much better there.

mcash1

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
I have a late 2008 model unibody 2.53 c2d - I'm on turn 300 in a marathon huge game and its really starting to slow down. (pretty much all settings to medium and running in xp bootcamp).

I really hope there is a good video card coming into the MBP for the next refresh (whenever that is) - has anyone been playing on the i5/i7 on the mbp?

I'm going to put 7 on boot camp soon to see if that helps (maybe marginally?)

SSWilson

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
I have a late 2008 model unibody 2.53 c2d - I'm on turn 300 in a marathon huge game and its really starting to slow down. (pretty much all settings to medium and running in xp bootcamp).

I really hope there is a good video card coming into the MBP for the next refresh (whenever that is) - has anyone been playing on the i5/i7 on the mbp?

I'm going to put 7 on boot camp soon to see if that helps (maybe marginally?)

In what way is it slowing down? Between turns or scrolling around the map?

mcash1

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
yes to both (screen redraws etc..)

NOTICEABLY worse as the game progresses - early on it wasn't bad (besides the long turn loads)

But I'm not complaining really :) just planning my upgrades :)

luminosita

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
Help!

I just got my Civ V and i activated boot camp specifically for this purpose...
Things were fine until activating the game. Somehow, the CIV V intro video works fine until the words come on.. Its a jumble. Even after just clicking to start playing the game, it HANGS!

Anyone knows if it is because of my macbook or the disc itself which is corrupted? :(

I have a Macbook4.1, downloaded Windows XP home service pack 3, and i seem to have matched all requirements ....

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I'm running it it native resolution with pretty high graphics settings. On my Bootcamp SSD disk. The game is pretty cool and seems to be working just fine. Will report more later as I have only gone through the tutorials and run a few turns in Single Player...

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I'm playing on a 2009 iMac, native resolution, via my Bootcamp install of Win7 64. When launching the game, I actually turned the graphics settings up from the default.

Currently I'm in late game (modern era), playing on a large Earth map with the entire world discovered, and everything's good. I see a bit of a delay between turns, but since this is only my first playthrough I can't tell if the lag is my system, or the game simply working out the turns for all of the AI players (8 civs left including me). Map scrolling and unit switching are smooth, while swapping between views on the fly poses no problems.

Yay!

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Bought it over the weekend and installed on my 24" iMac 3.06 (2008 I think).

Playable at native 1920 x in bootcsmp with everything set to medium and high. A little too slow for my tastes. Had quite a fee crashes.

Changed it to 1300 or so x in windowed mode, everything set to medium, and it's running great!

No crashes and it's not slowing down at all. Went to bed at 1 am at about 1300 a.d.

A few notes in the game-

- I miss religion
- I love city-states
- combat is much harder. I can't amass an army of Roman Legions - can only build as many as I have iron.
- getting the hang of "1 unit per tile" and am ripping people apart with my well protected archers behind the front line.

All in all I love it. Been a civ addict since civ 1 and I looooooove civ 4.

Playing on windows 7

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Picked up a copy over the weekend and I'm impressed. I've been playing on my late 2009 iMac 21.5" with the upgraded ATI card and 8 gigs of RAM under Windows 7 64 bit on Boot Camp. I've got it running on native resolution with all settings on high except anti-aliasing which is off. Runs very smoothly in single player and hardly any slowdown in multiplayer. Most I've played is 3 human and 5 computer civs for multiplayer at the moment.

Great game, some very good improvements over Civ IV. There are still quite a bit of new features I have yet to mess around with but hopefully I will get to them over the next few days.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Has Aspyr made an announcement about the Mac release? I found this with a bit of searching: http://www.aspyr.com/product/story/125

...no date seems to be indicated. You'd think at this point, an announcement is imminent.

Nice find. This happened once before with a previous game (I forget what) appearing on their site before the announcement. Macgamer.com has hinted that an announcement is imminent, so I'm sure it won't be long.

I hope Aspyr manages to do what Virtual Programming did With SupCom 2, and include a code for the Steam PC version. I've had to resort to playing Starcraft II in Windows due to poor performance, and I'd like to have that option with Civ V without buying the game twice.

Anyway, this is good news--we won't be waiting 6+ months like with Civ IV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.