Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maya

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Anyone know how to network 2 or more Mac machines via FireWire under Mac OS X.3.7 and not under FireWire Disk Target Mode.

I need it to share files between, iTunes, Internet, and so forth. I know this is possible under Windows ME and onwards even 2k as long as it has FireWire support so how do you do this in Mac OS X.3.7. I did a search maybe I am not searching hard enough or I am missing something however I know networking with FireWire is possible.

Would appreciate any help in regards to this matter. Thanks in Advance. :)

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
m a y a said:
Anyone know how to network 2 or more Mac machines via FireWire under Mac OS X.3.7 and not under FireWire Disk Target Mode.

I need it to share files between, iTunes, Internet, and so forth. I know this is possible under Windows ME and onwards even 2k as long as it has FireWire support so how do you do this in Mac OS X.3.7. I did a search maybe I am not searching hard enough or I am missing something however I know networking with FireWire is possible.

Would appreciate any help in regards to this matter. Thanks in Advance. :)

I don't think its possible to network a Mac to a PC via Firewire. Its easier to use Ethernet.

Its very easy to network a Mac to a Mac with FireWire though. Let me know if you want to do this and I'll tell you if you don't already know.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
This is how to do it:

1. On Mac #1, go to System Preferences, then to Networking

2. Click on the Menu next to Show: and then select Network Port Configurations.

3. Click on the New Button

4. Under the Port Menu, select Built-in FireWire

5. Above that call it FireWire so you know what the port is.

6. Repeat steps 1-5 on the second Mac.

7. Connect the FireWire Cable from one Mac to the other if you haven't done so already.

8. On Mac #1 (or the Mac you want to access) go to System Preferences, then to Sharing and check the box that says Apple File Sharing. This allows Mac to share files between each other.

9. On Mac #2 go to the Go Menu and down to Connect to Server....

10. Type in: afp://nameofmacyouwanttoaccess/usernameyouwanttotransferfilesto

ex. afp://imac/admin (iMac is the name of the computer, admin is the account I want to access)

11. When prompted for a username and password, put in the username and password for the computer you are logging into, NOT the computer you're currently using.

12. The other Macs HD should show up on the desktop.

Troubleshooting:

1. Check to see if you get an IP address under the FireWire Networking System Preference. (System Preferences/Networking/FireWire)

2. Disconnect one end and reconnect it.

3. Restart one of them, or both. Then recheck to see if you got an IP address.

4. Once you get an IP address under FireWire you shouldn't have any problems.

maya

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mklos, I see the green light activate in the Network Configurations Window, however for some reason the secondary Mac is not loading any web pages, taking a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to even try to connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.