Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bitcrusher

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Ok, this idea came from this thread: Seriously concerned about the problems with the new iPod Touch where user goodboy wrote that the first 2 numbers or letters of the serial number represent the factory where the ipod was made, then try to identify the faulty ipods by these factory numbers and avoid them.

I made this thread so we can share the quality of our ipods and post the factory where it was made so other users can look for them when buying or returning an ipod.

My iPod has 0 problems, and serial number starts with CC lets call it the "CC factory":p

This is my fisrt thread and I'm not really good at english, I am sorry if this is poorly redacted;)

macjackie

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Hey guys.
Sorry to disprove your theory...
My first one (CC) had small light leaks and the clicking sound while recording.
My second one (CC) has some small light leaks on the side near the volume buttons, but I think the clicking sound is gone... or at least less frequent.

I'm trying to be careful with this one and see how I go with it... if not, I'm taking it in again...

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Mine starts with a C3. No problems. havnt recorded video in quiet places, so cant comment on the clicking. Why did Apple change the serial number format. before it was like 9E911FE201 (old iPod touch sn) this format was for ALL Apple devices. 9E911FE201 9 is the year... so year 2009 was the iPod build year. Then 9E911FE201 11 is the week. So the iPod was built 11 weeks into the year 2009... so around March 2009. This format applied to ALL Apple products up to the new iPod lineup. Anyone know if you can still decode the info with the new serial numbers?

Bitcrusher

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Hey guys.
Sorry to disprove your theory...
My first one (CC) had small light leaks and the clicking sound while recording.
My second one (CC) has some small light leaks on the side near the volume buttons, but I think the clicking sound is gone... or at least less frequent.

I'm trying to be careful with this one and see how I go with it... if not, I'm taking it in again...
Perhaps we need more info about the serial number? Well maybe just for the statistics, maybe we can identify the "best" factory, the one with the lowest percentage of problems :confused:

holden15

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Austin, TX
C3

Very little light leak at volume buttons.

1 stuck pixel on screen. I've tried almost every method to fix it so I'll probably take it to my Apple Store to see if they'll replace it.

Rossta76

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Light Leak Picture

Hi all,
Any chance we can get a picture of the light leak, or maybe a youtube video? I'm just curious what this looks like. Or maybe someone can direct me to a thread where someone previously posted this? Thanks.

Blackened

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Exact same - slight leak above the top volume button, no other issues - and I'm C3

Hmm this is odd.

Same here.. C3, light leakage by volume buttons, everything else appears to be fine.

A slider case solves the light leakage issue by the way.

Cuz03

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
I'm C3 and have the minor light leak over te volume button. It is very hard to see unless you in the pitch black with brightness all the way up. I also have the clicking sound which I don't believe is a manufacture error. I think someone narrowed it down to being connected to an encrypted wifi network. So I just turn it off. But so far I am happy with my first ipod touch.

theRkid

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2010
I've got a C3, and it's got a light leak and some material in the "cracks" on the side where the light leak is coming from. Don't know if it's dirt or some other kinda mess, but I'm taking it to Apple soon.

macjackie

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Tried recording again and yep, the clicking's still there.
So I exchanged my ipod to move the location of my light leak! :p
If I move the volume buttons (they're a bit loose), I can hide it almost.
Just looking at the two serial numbers of my ipod, there's only about 3 characters that differ, and they're in the middle. Might help?

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
C3, no light leaks, no clicking. Some minor touch screen inaccuracies though - may be software-related.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I returned two CC units, one with light leaking on the right side and the second one with about 4-5 stuck pixels.

The other two units I've had to return started with 1P and SC. The SC had one black dead pixel in the middle and two to the right, the 1P has an inch of light leaking out the left and the bezel isn't glued properly.

Guiguiga

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale - FL
Ok, this is not 100% accurate.

Mine is a C3.

I do have light leakage around the volume buttons.

I sometimes get the clicking noise and sometimes I don't. I got it both with wifi ON/OFF. So I don't think that's the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.