Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Due to the issues with the MacbookPro with respect to the sliding feet and the wobbling screen (and I shouldn't have to purchase a case for a $2600+ computer for a simple fix) I'm sending it back and getting a 21.5 Inch iMac with the following
3.6 Ghz i5
8GB
2TB
Wired Keyboard/Mouse
and a either a Macmini @ 2.66 or a base iMac 3.06/500GB/4GB etc

My question is the top iMac will be used for Final Cut Pro and Photoshop work.
I would like to get Apple Ram for Warrenty purposes and I would like to get
12 GB for headroom for the future. Do you think I could do that and how so?

also am I better off with a base iMac or a Macmini? I already have a keyboard and mouse, However I have a ACD LCD 17" which is incompatible and I don't want top pay the $100 for the adapter. and the monitor is a minimum $110 at bestbuy.
I will be using that iMac for e-mail/itunes and internet. (It is the family iMac)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I would get 27" iMac for Final Cut and Photoshop. The extra screen estate is absolutely amazing and it also offers more power. Grab a refurb to save some $.

As for the family computer, I would get an iMac. The screen is a lot better than those crappy Best Buy monitors and it also offers more power. Again, if you want to save $, think about refurb

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
It doesn't look like 12GB of RAM is offered as an option on the website, however Apple may be willing to install it for you, since the tech-specs suggest that it can take up to 16GB of RAM. Ask at your local apple store / phone them up.

You are almost always better off with the iMac. The mac mini is IMO overpriced, and you get a much better spec for a little more cash with the iMac.

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
You are right, The MacMini is expensive for what you get and the more I think about it, It is much better to go with a iMac for the family as the monitors at BB won't have the IPS technology and be LED which start @ ~$200 which would put the cost right up there with the iMac.
So what is the MacMini for then?

The desk is 41 W x 25 D so a 27" would fit there..
Now if I do get the 27" Is Quad Core i5 or a 3.6 Ghz i5 better?
I'd like to keep this around $1900 or so due to the other iMac (which i'm thinking of getting the base model).
Apple Computers are more expensive however to me the iMac machines are a good value. MacBookPro's on the other hand...:eek:
Family & I have around $3000 to budget
(I can finally put the family PowerMac 867Mhz G4 from 2001 to rest):)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You are right, The MacMini is expensive for what you get and the more I think about it, It is much better to go with a iMac for the family as the monitors at BB won't have the IPS technology and be LED which start @ ~$200 which would put the cost right up there with the iMac.
So what is the MacMini for then?

The desk is 41 W x 25 D so a 27" would fit there..
Now if I do get the 27" Is Quad Core i5 or a 3.6 Ghz i5 better?
I'd like to keep this around $1900 or so due to the other iMac (which i'm thinking of getting the base model).
Apple Computers are more expensive however to me the iMac machines are a good value. MacBookPro's on the other hand...:eek:
Family & I have around $3000 to budget
(I can finally put the family PowerMac 867Mhz G4 from 2001 to rest):)

See the refurb links in my post above. That 27" is about as fast as the current one but you save hundreds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.