Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Hi, i just upgraded my 3G 64gb Touch to the new 4G at the same capacity. I use auto synch with just the checked items in Itunes to be copied over. After Itunes was done bringing everything over I noticed that the 4G Touch shows 10.5gb of space still available while my old 3G shows 14.2gb available. This is with exactly the same content loaded on both ipods.

The capacity bar in Itunes also shows this lower gb available in the new ipod. When I attach the 3g, it shows the higher. Also the capacity bar shows 35.9 gb's of audio used but when you click on the music folder on the left side of itunes for the ipod it shows 31.9 gb's. Somethings wrong!

Anyone else experience any of these issues?

Cuz03

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Maybe the capacities are different because the new iPod comes with apps like FaceTime App and maybe having the camera app. But this is a widespread "problem" so there must be something taking up the space

jayinla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Maybe the capacities are different because the new iPod comes with apps like FaceTime App and maybe having the camera app. But this is a widespread "problem" so there must be something taking up the space

The 3g lists it's capacity in settings at 59.4. The 4g at 59.1. With this math, I shouldn't have lost 4 gb's of space.

Also I did try a restore with no change.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Could it be to do with the 4g being retina and the apps that support retina having larger textures?

The 3G might discard the larger textures when the apps are installed?

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Maybe (and this is only a guess) the flash drive has some faulty sector issues on it which are preventing 3GB of data to be written to it.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The 4th gen has a 4x (2xW by 2xH) larger screen. Any graphics used take up 4 times the memory. As already mentioned the camera app, facetime, and any other app using the on-board cameras eat up space not consumed on earlier Touches.

Best advice I can give: Don't but the 8gb version. And expect the other two to have less space available than previous models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.