PDA

View Full Version : 12" PB battery/indicator problems

buckuxc
Dec 19, 2004, 05:45 PM
hey all,

I did a search on the forums for information, but I was coming up with nothing and I don't have two hours to search everything. I have had my 12" PB since January 2004 and the battery life has generally been great. Then about a month to a month and a half ago, I started experiencing much reduced battery life (I can't go anywhere without the plug), but even worse, the battery status indicator is COMPLETELY screwed up. It drops from 100% down to 0% in less than a half hour. It can stay at 0% for a while, depending on how much juice is left, but I have no way of knowing when it's going to quit.

Is it typical for the PB battery to be much less useful only 11 months after purchasing the computer? This is my only computer, so I use it all the time, and I do semi-frequently have a lot of apps open, so the fan has to come on, but do I have to get a new battery already?

What about the status indicator? Are there any solutions to make it work properly again?

Thanks,

sps

buckuxc
Dec 20, 2004, 07:29 PM
anybody??? even a link to an old discussion?...

jackieonasses
Dec 20, 2004, 08:37 PM
hey all,

I did a search on the forums for information, but I was coming up with nothing and I don't have two hours to search everything. I have had my 12" PB since January 2004 and the battery life has generally been great. Then about a month to a month and a half ago, I started experiencing much reduced battery life (I can't go anywhere without the plug), but even worse, the battery status indicator is COMPLETELY screwed up. It drops from 100% down to 0% in less than a half hour. It can stay at 0% for a while, depending on how much juice is left, but I have no way of knowing when it's going to quit.

Is it typical for the PB battery to be much less useful only 11 months after purchasing the computer? This is my only computer, so I use it all the time, and I do semi-frequently have a lot of apps open, so the fan has to come on, but do I have to get a new battery already?

What about the status indicator? Are there any solutions to make it work properly again?

Thanks,

sps It could possiably be your battery, Flip your comp over and press taht button, when it is charged do all of them light up? Or take a voltage meter and see how much you are getting, i really don't know (without looking up) But it could be your notebooks battery problem. do you have panther? In Jaguar a long time ago they released a battery counter update. there was a problem in the way it was counting it. Or something like that. I hope your battery isn't screwed up. Oh, and do you use your battery frequently? if you don't it might have caused its premature failure.

kyle

Abstract
Dec 20, 2004, 08:47 PM
Go into Terminal and type in: ioreg -| |grep -i IOBatteryInfo

to check your battery's capacity. Also reset your PRAM. Have you checked the Apple Discussion Boards?

Anyway, if you fully discharge your battery every time you use your laptop on battery power, your battery capacity drops quicker. Some people fully discharge their battery, then fully recharge it. Don't do that. Charge it whenever you want. IF there's 57% capacity, then charge it back to 100% from there. Don't discharge to 0% capacity before recharging.

Koodauw
Dec 20, 2004, 09:55 PM
Call Apple and get some help before your Warranty runs out.

The 12'' have battery problems. (this is only my opion.) I have gone through two batteries, and nowon my third, and they all have the same problem, battery will go form 20% to 0% in no time flat. No warning or anything. I can get a new battery, and it will fix the problem for about 2 months or so, but then its back to the problems.

Other experience it too.