PDA

View Full Version : Issues sharing internet with Xbox 360 (iBook G4)

NeutiquamErro
Sep 18, 2010, 07:45 AM
Hi, all.

I'm abroad at university, and the school has a pretty wicked proxy that prevents Xbox Live from getting through. I asked an IT guy about it and he said, "Man, I wish we could use it. I just don't know if it's possible." I took that as permission to try.

I decided to log on to the school network with my iBook (old school, I know) and share my connection with my Xbox. I followed one of the many, many guides available online and set everything up. When I test my Xbox Live Connection, it connects to the network, accepts my DNS settings... and then says, "Xbox can't access the internet."

How can this be? My computer is accessing the internet just fine, but my Xbox can't? What gives?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Darwin
Sep 18, 2010, 08:52 AM
It is likely that your university network is blocking the ports used to connect to Xbox Live. ie:

UDP: 88, 3074
TCP: 3074

I know my university network used to give us port 80 for web and port 443 for SSL. For some reason they usually believe that it enough access for most.

NeutiquamErro
Sep 18, 2010, 08:57 AM
That would be very sneaky of them.

Is there any way to know for sure?

CubeHacker
Sep 18, 2010, 08:57 AM
There are so many variables involved that its difficult to give an accurate answer.
If your settings are indeed correct on your ibook and its sharing correctly, then the problem is most likely that xbox live wants access to a certain port or port range, which is being blocked by your schools firewall.

Do a search online for 'xbox live ports', and you should come across what ports are used by xbox live for access. Then I would use a port scanner such as ShieldsUP and see if that port is blocked or not.

If its blocked, then the only way around it is to either
1.) Get the school to unblock the port (unlikely)
or
2.) Use a 3rd party proxy to tunnel around the firewall.

Option #2 is can get pretty complicated so i'll let you read into that on your own if you're interested.