Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fulhamrback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
I have just purchased a 4th Gen Touch for my daughters birthday. If I set it up on my laptop's Itunes will that mean that she will not be able to connect it to her itunes on her netbook ?. she will also need an Apple id to be able to download apps i think, but am not sure if it will need to be set up with my credit card details. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

iperson21

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
go to target and go buy a 15$ itunes gift card and set up an itunes account on her netbook.
then she can sync all the apps she wants with her own computer and once she gets older i bet she'll get annoyed that her ipod is tied to the family computer.

also, if you have already bought apps, go on itunes on the netbook and go to store->aurthoize this computer, and type in the apple id and password you use on your laptop (not the netbook) and then you can move the apps via usb fine.

to move the apps via usb go to itunes, right click one of the apps, click open in windows explorer, and then highlight all the apps you want to move and copy and paste onto the usb.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Set it to manually sync on both PCs. I do this with mine between work and home PC's, and have no problem.

Yes, she'll need an iTunes account if you want her to be able to buy content from them. She doesn't need an account if she (or you) already has content she can put on it. I simply set my wife's iPhones and Touch to use the same account as mine, and that works since the money used comes from the same bank account anyway.

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
The simplest way would be to set it up on her computer, so all the content syncs automatically from there whenever she rips CDs etc. She will need an Apple ID, however I didn't think you have to enter credit card details to do that - I might be wrong though. If not, then she could download any of the (many) free apps that are available, and an iTunes gift card could be used to pay for other apps without needing to enter credit card details.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
You had to enter credit card or gift card information before, but I see the "none" for payment information now.
And you can manually drag-and-drop files to the iPod instead of syncing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.