PDA

View Full Version : Should I get 10.2?

DakotaGuy
Aug 24, 2002, 12:36 PM
I have an iBook 600 that I bought last December and an iMac DV 400 and wondered if I would notice any performance improvement in 10.2. My computers are just G3's with ATI Rage video cards with 8 MB of video RAM so I know that I will not be able to even use the new Quartz Extreme feature, but even without that will I see some improvement with regards to speed and responsiveness? Also does system RAM help a lot with OSX? I have been using it just fine on my machines since last December, I have 256MB on my iBook and it does seem to do better then my older iMac with only 128MB. Would it be worth my money if I am going to keep my old Blueberry DV around for another year to up the RAM to like 512MB and put 10.2 on it. Will I see much of a difference? Has anyone with a G3 processor (other then the current iBook, which is designed for 10.2) that updated to 10.2 seen much of a performance gain? I would like some help here.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Aug 24, 2002, 03:29 PM
From what I read from Dual USB iBook owners...it feels like you're on a G4.

My copy of Jaguar should come in today so I'll post again after I play around with it

tliptak
Aug 24, 2002, 04:22 PM
Yes you should. Its awesome. Its really fast and the new features are awesome. Just get no need to ask more questions. I think it one of apple best.

tliptak
Aug 24, 2002, 04:24 PM
I does seem faster on my 600 mgz iBook. its faster.

DakotaGuy
Aug 24, 2002, 09:52 PM
Thanks...I will be interested in hearing from more G3 owners as they get it and then I will probably buy it for my machines. Thanks for the feedback...also will more RAM in my iMac DV 400 help a little? How much can you actually put in a Blueberry iMac DV with regards to RAM. If more RAM and 10.2 helps some I will probably save my money and hold on to my old iMac for another year or so. It is okay in 10.1.5 with 128MB of RAM, but I would like it to feel a little more like it used to in OS9. Thanks.

LimeiBook86
Aug 24, 2002, 10:25 PM
As most of you know I have the old iBook Special Edition(Key Lime) G3 466mhz 320 RAM (MAX) 10GB HAD (upgrading to a 40GB when I have the $$$) and FireWire and DVD. Will I see better performencewith Mac OS 10.2? I want my iBook to be _-_-_-_-_FAST!!!