Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisneyRicky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Northern California
Hey Everyone,

Been on Windows 7 for a while now, and when I first installed Windows 7 (upgrade from Vista) I've been getting an error saying I have no default mail program. I use Windows Mail with my hotmail account, but it still gives me an error.

I did not do a clean install of Win7, I upgraded it (to where it saved all of my previous data)

Attachments

• No Email Program Associated.PNG
    No Email Program Associated.PNG
    57.6 KB · Views: 75

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Microsoft unbundled Windows Mail, along with other built-in applications, from Windows 7 because they were getting heat from the EU about their anti-competitiveness.

However, Microsoft provide Windows Live Mail as part of their Windows Live Essentials suite. The benefits of them doing it that way is that they can provide updates to the client on a more regular basis, as opposed to having to do it when they release a new OS. You can download it from http://www.get.live.com. I've used it for a while, it's pretty good.

If you want to try out the beta of their upcoming version of Live Essentials, go to http://www.windowslivepreview.com.

DisneyRicky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Northern California
I already have Windows Live Essentials, got it when I first got that error message. But it still says that there is no mail program installed. I have also tried Mozilla ThunderBird, and I was getting the same error message. My next step is backing up all of my data, and then doing a fresh install of Windows 7, do you think that will solve the problem, or is it a problem with all versions of Windows 7. I haves posted on the Microsoft website, and got one reply saying that they didn't know what was wrong with it. I just want it to work like it should, and I am tired of seeing this error, for something... and Microsoft can't fix it.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
A fresh install should get rid of any problems that exist. But it seems odd that you're having problems telling Windows what is email client is. I assume you've poked around in the Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs like Balamw has suggested?

DisneyRicky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Northern California
Have you tried setting a default program for mail?

Start -> Search -> Default Programs

B

A fresh install should get rid of any problems that exist. But it seems odd that you're having problems telling Windows what is email client is. I assume you've poked around in the Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs like Balamw has suggested?

Yes, done this multiple times...no luck.

If I do default programs, change it, save it, then re-open default programs, it changed back to the way it was before. So frustrating! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.