Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
I am trying to follow the following guide to do a triple boot, but I am stuck in Windows 7 installation
triple boot snow leopard, windows 7, & ubuntu

I have done the following:
1. Did a clean installation of OS X Snow Leopard on hard drive (Not yet partitioned the hard drive)

2. Installed rEFIt
I am not sure what the poster means by making sure it works by pressing the option button. I am assuming it means that I will be able to see the options I can choose when I press option? (I do see options to pick either "Hard Drive" or whatever disc in the DVD)

3. Partitioned 30 GB (or was it 40 GB? x.x I forgot sorry) space in Boot Camp Assistant for Windows installation. Chose the option to install Windows later.

4. Inserted OS X Snow Leopard installation disc and boot from there.

5. Opened up the Disk Utility and partitioned a hard drive (called Hard Drive_2) via the Partition section as instructed by the guide. Formatted in MAc OS Extended (Journaled)

So now, in that area I see "Hard Drive", "Hard Drive_2" and "BOOT CAMP" (so I am assuming that is what the poster meant by "3 partitions".

6. Restarted the computer with Windows installation disc.

Problems occur right here:
Problem 1: I do not see anything called "C something" as the poster said. But I do see something called "Boot Camp"

Problem 2: All the partitions that are available says that "Windows 7 can't be installed". So my question is am I supposed to "delete" a specific partition to install it?

I have pictures of the screen which I will upload later if this isn't clear enough.

Please advise.

Thank you very much.

Mlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Are you sure rEFIt came up or was it the standard Apple boot menu?

The BOOTCAMP partition is FAT32 you need to use the W7 installer to convert it to NTFS before you can install W7.

B

It might be the standard Apple boot menu then because I remember seeing it before... How does a rEFIT boot menu look like?

So, I use the BOOTCAMP partition section to install W7. I will need to format that section to NTFS then install. Ok. I will try that. Thank you.

Mlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Got everything working.
Thank you!

I didn't install rEFIT correctly.
Thank you for the picture :]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.