PDA

View Full Version : Install iOS 4.2 for iPad without Developer account

jongriff
Sep 20, 2010, 06:39 AM
I had been looking around for information on whether or not it was possible to update my iPad to iOS 4.2 without having to register my device with Apple (as I do not have a developer account).

I found a lot of discussions all saying that it is necessary to register your device's UDID with Apple and without it you would have to revert back to 3.1.3. There were also a few people who had claimed to have installed it without this requirement and given the benefits of multitasking etc I decided to take the plunge and go for it.

I'm happy to report that if you get hold of the iOS4.2 ipsw file you can update your iPad (using option-click on update in iTunes) and the OS installs with no problems and doesn't require registration. I just wanted to make this clear for all those who weren't sure and were looking for a definitive answer.

[I was running iTunes 9.2 on Mac OS (SL) and an iPad on 3.1.3 that had never been jail broken]

SA22C
Sep 20, 2010, 07:06 AM
I had been looking around for information on whether or not it was possible to update my iPad to iOS 4.2 without having to register my device with Apple (as I do not have a developer account).

I found a lot of discussions all saying that it is necessary to register your device's UDID with Apple and without it you would have to revert back to 3.1.3. There were also a few people who had claimed to have installed it without this requirement and given the benefits of multitasking etc I decided to take the plunge and go for it.

I'm happy to report that if you get hold of the iOS4.2 ipsw file you can update your iPad (using option-click on update in iTunes) and the OS installs with no problems and doesn't require registration. I just wanted to make this clear for all those who weren't sure and were looking for a definitive answer.

[I was running iTunes 9.2 on Mac OS (SL) and an iPad on 3.1.3 that had never been jail broken]

That is incorrect.

I performed the same steps as you did and my iPad did not activate after loading the OS. Some people appear to be either:

a) Lucky
b) Lying.

The only definitive way to get 4.2 early is to get a developer ID or get registered by a helpful dev. Thanks again Graeme43!

SVT Amateur
Sep 20, 2010, 07:24 AM
Of course he is lying, no iPad ever ran 3.1.3, right? The only operating official operating systems the iPad has had have been 3.2, 3.2.1, and 3.2.2.

Maybe the OP got his version mixed up (or he is talking about the iPhone) but honestly with these beta releases you have to have your UDID registered. Maybe someone somewhere registered your UDID. This could be due to an accident (i.e. someone keyed in your UDID instead of theirs on accident) or this could be due to getting a refurbished device that had been previously registered.

I guess it is feasible that your UDID wasn't registered and you somehow were still able to install but this would have to be a bug and it isn't working for many other people. But if you were able to install congrats, I'm finding that 4.2 on the iPad has been very good. 4.2 on the iPhone 4 is horrid.

jongriff
Sep 20, 2010, 07:56 AM
Wow, wasn't expecting to be called a lier but there you go. You are right though, I was running 3.2.2, sorry my bad. It updated with absolutely no issues and behaved just as a normal software update would (except for the option-click step).

Perhaps it is because I am running iTunes 9.2?

EssentialParado
Sep 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
Have you ever beta tested a developer's app? This would mean your iPad would have already been added to Apple's test database.

I am running iOS4.2 and I specifically remember during install that iTunes said, "verifying device with Apple..." and iTunes connected to the internet to check my device was registered.

I wouldn't recommend someone risking it because you may not be able to get your iPad back to normal until iOS 4.2 releases in November. It's quite easy to find a nice developer who doesn't mind adding you into the list, just look on some app store development forums and be very friendly.

jongriff
Sep 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
Have you ever beta tested a developer's app? This would mean your iPad would have already been added to Apple's test database.

I am running iOS4.2 and I specifically remember during install that iTunes said, "verifying device with Apple..." and iTunes connected to the internet to check my device was registered.

I wouldn't recommend someone risking it because you may not be able to get your iPad back to normal until iOS 4.2 releases in November. It's quite easy to find a nice developer who doesn't mind adding you into the list, just look on some app store development forums and be very friendly.

No i haven't and the iPad was bought new from apple so isn't a refurb either. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has managed the same thing.

I agree with your advice re not doing it due to the risk of not being able to revert back as simply not trying is the safest thing to do. For those who are interested though I did check up on the ability to revert back to 3.2.2 and as far as i could tell this wasn't actually too difficult, just a matter of installing through iTunes using the option-click pointing to the 3.2.2 ipsw file. If anyone has been successful with this then perhaps they could chime in as clearly i have had no need to attempt to revert back to 3.2.2 as I am very happy with 4.2 (albeit with a few bugs, it is a beta after all!)

bcaslis
Sep 20, 2010, 12:23 PM

I'm not sure why you feel a need to tell him that he's incorrect. I do have a developer account and have tried different installations different ways and he is correct. You can see this by removing the device from the registered ones and trying both update and restore options. The behavior is different.

And you can restore back to 3.2.2 if you know how. While I don't recommend non-developers use 4.2 beta 1, your facts are incorrect.

rikbrown
Sep 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
For me, I didn't need any dev registering to opt-click update with 4.2. However for a clean restore, I did.

bcaslis
Sep 20, 2010, 12:34 PM
For me, I didn't need any dev registering to opt-click update with 4.2. However for a clean restore, I did.

Exactly. That is how it works.

Amazing Iceman
Sep 20, 2010, 12:40 PM
Exactly. That is how it works.

Interesting... I'm tempted to try it. I'm even considering becoming a developer, but I may just wait for the official release. it will be buggy enough anyways, so imagine how buggy this beta must be. Plus, I use and rely on my iPad on a daily basis, so can't risk running into critical problems with it.

bcaslis
Sep 20, 2010, 12:56 PM
Interesting... I'm tempted to try it. I'm even considering becoming a developer, but I may just wait for the official release. it will be buggy enough anyways, so imagine how buggy this beta must be. Plus, I use and rely on my iPad on a daily basis, so can't risk running into critical problems with it.

If you use the iPad daily don't use the beta 1 release. While the OS isn't too bad there are a ton of apps with small to large problems with this release. Most of my third party apps just aren't usable under this release, the more I tried them, the more issues I found.

tibi08
Sep 20, 2010, 02:04 PM
I find it quite funny that people are paying developers to get their UDID registered when you can do it without (which i can confirm can absolutely be done).

It's true though that some aspects of the beta are a bit unstable, mostly third party apps.

jonnycube
Sep 20, 2010, 07:42 PM
I feel so strongly about this that I made a forums account just to reply.

jongriff's experience is exactly like mine. Most people insisted you need to register your UDID. A couple said otherwise, so I tried it. I found the ipsw file, shift-clicked in iTunes to update, and it worked. I was sweating when it got to the "verifying" stage, but miraculously, it worked. I've been running 4.2 with no problems ever since, and I am one happy user.

Full disclosure, technically I have a developer account, but I'm not part of a developer program, i.e. I haven't sent them $100. For all intents and purposes the count is derelict. I've never done anything with it and I don't know how to program.

I have iTunes 10 and Windows 7, and I was running whatever version of iOS was most recent before the beta, if any of that is relevant. In any case, let's not be so quick to call this guy a liar.

pjcforpres2020
Sep 20, 2010, 08:53 PM
What are the proper backup procedures one should perform before using the "update" method? I would like to test out 4.2, but want to be able to go back to 3.2.2 (was my shipping ROM) when all is said and done... or am I SOL, and need to register my UDID in order to restore to 3.2.2? Please pardon the n00bness of this, all my unlocking/flashing experience is with WinMo and Android, and all I can find regarding this relates to 3.2.1 and being jailbroken in order to create a back up file.

tac22
Sep 20, 2010, 09:16 PM
yea, soooo this didn't work of me :(, am i reletively screwed, or can i reletively easily put past software back on?

jongriff
Sep 21, 2010, 05:55 AM
What are the proper backup procedures one should perform before using the "update" method? I would like to test out 4.2, but want to be able to go back to 3.2.2 (was my shipping ROM) when all is said and done... or am I SOL, and need to register my UDID in order to restore to 3.2.2? Please pardon the n00bness of this, all my unlocking/flashing experience is with WinMo and Android, and all I can find regarding this relates to 3.2.1 and being jailbroken in order to create a back up file.

So....I thought iOS 4.2 was great. There are a few bugs here and there but nothing to worry about, until of course I downloaded VLC last night and it didn't play any video. After some searching it seemed that 4.2 was to blame so I therefore decided to revert back to 3.2.2 which was very easy and straightforward - just download the ipsw file and then option-click update in iTunes.

I have come across a problem however, which I am sure is probably well documented elsewhere but that I simply hadn't read. While in iOS 4.2 I placed many of my applications in folders. This meant that when back in 3.2.2 those applications were no longer on the Springboard. Even after removing them from iTunes, syncing, and then re-adding them to the iPad they refused to show up. Restoring the software (from an iTunes backup) also didn't work. I then re-installed 4.2 (the apps were visible again), removed the apps from the folders and then re-installed 3.2.2 once again only to find the apps still missing from the Springboard.

Finally, I restored the iPad back to 3.2.2 but this time set it up as a new iPad (rather than from a backup) and all is now well again (apart from the time needed to transfer >50GB of data onto the new device!). In short, downgrading should be easy, but for me not so much! They call it a beta for a reason i suppose.

jongriff
Sep 21, 2010, 05:57 AM
I feel so strongly about this that I made a forums account just to reply.

jongriff's experience is exactly like mine. Most people insisted you need to register your UDID. A couple said otherwise, so I tried it. I found the ipsw file, shift-clicked in iTunes to update, and it worked. I was sweating when it got to the "verifying" stage, but miraculously, it worked. I've been running 4.2 with no problems ever since, and I am one happy user.

Full disclosure, technically I have a developer account, but I'm not part of a developer program, i.e. I haven't sent them $100. For all intents and purposes the count is derelict. I've never done anything with it and I don't know how to program.

I have iTunes 10 and Windows 7, and I was running whatever version of iOS was most recent before the beta, if any of that is relevant. In any case, let's not be so quick to call this guy a liar.

Great to see that other have been able to do this too, thanks for the support jonnycube

saving107
Sep 21, 2010, 06:12 AM
Is it possible to revert the OS from 4.2 if your not a developer by simply putting the iPad into DFU mode, and pointing it to the 3.2.2 ipsw file?

I managed to get a copy of the 4.2 beta 1 last week, but I haven't had the guts to actually update my iPad, but reading this thread is making me want to try. But if i end up not liking it, I would like to downgrade.

Are their any special tricks to downgrade, or is DFU mode is good enough?

jongriff
Sep 21, 2010, 06:19 AM
Is it possible to revert the OS from 4.2 if your not a developer by simply putting the iPad into DFU mode, and pointing it to the 3.2.2 ipsw file?

I managed to get a copy of the 4.2 beta 1 last week, but I haven't had the guts to actually update my iPad, but reading this thread is making me want to try. But if i end up not liking it, I would like to downgrade.

Well DFU mode may prevent the apps problem I had (described above) but I honestly don't know, someone just has to try, just be prepared for the fact it may not be as straightforward as you hope. In my experience though it is VERY difficult to truely ruin your iDevice, you can always start from scratch again (correct me if I'm wrong people). I am now back on 3.2.2 just by clicking Restore and starting afresh. Option-clicking update will also take you back to 3.2.2 but perhaps with problems. I do not have a developer account.

Oh, and now that I am back to 3.2.2 VLC works perfectly. One very good reason to not move to 4.2 just yet - it's just so hard to resist if you know it's possible!

saving107
Sep 21, 2010, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to go to bed soon, but I I'll give it a try later on this morning when I wake up and report back any issues I may have had or a success story with tips.

chrono1081
Sep 21, 2010, 06:33 AM
I just wanted to lay out a friendly reminder that sometimes you cannot downgrade these betas and betas can really break a lot of functionality. It's usually best to wait for the gm build before putting it on your system. Even if the os is fine, the apps may not be.

jongriff
Sep 21, 2010, 06:36 AM
I just wanted to lay out a friendly reminder that sometimes you cannot downgrade these betas and betas can really break a lot of functionality. It's usually best to wait for the gm build before putting it on your system. Even if the os is fine, the apps may not be.

Thanks, chrono1081, good to know that trying this is not without risk

Night Spring
Sep 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
I have come across a problem however, which I am sure is probably well documented elsewhere but that I simply hadn't read. While in iOS 4.2 I placed many of my applications in folders. This meant that when back in 3.2.2 those applications were no longer on the Springboard. Even after removing them from iTunes, syncing, and then re-adding them to the iPad they refused to show up. Restoring the software (from an iTunes backup) also didn't work. I then re-installed 4.2 (the apps were visible again), removed the apps from the folders and then re-installed 3.2.2 once again only to find the apps still missing from the Springboard.

Too bad I didn't catch you before you set up as new. I would have suggested you go into settings and try Reset Homescreen Layout. Or you could have created a backup after you reinstalled 4.2 and took the apps out of folders, then restored from *that* backup - you don't say if you did so or not.

craigd
Sep 21, 2010, 07:46 AM
Can anyone help a distant Australian with dev access

gunthermic
Sep 21, 2010, 08:20 AM
Well I did the upgrade to 4.2 over the weekend, saw some great things, but needed to go back to 3.2.2. I am here to tell you, you can do it, **however it was painful for me.

1. I did the click option and choose a 3.2.2.ipsw
2. All apeared to be fine
3. After it was done, recieved an error from iTunes(1015)
4. iPad was stuck at the good ol itunes/USB screen.
5. Tried Hard reset, soft reset, nothing seemed to work.
6. Everytime iPad came back up into Itunes/USB screen the iTunes onthe computer wanted me to restore.
7. Finally got a hold of Umbrella,and "kick" the iPad out of recovery mode.
8. iTunes then restored my backup from 3.2.2 back onto iPad and it works just fine now.

It did downgrade. but was a painful day.

pjcforpres2020
Sep 21, 2010, 08:58 AM
I went ahead and did the dev udid... Working great so far! This is my toy and Internet tablet while at school, and note taker, so some bugs is fine by me. Haven't had any issues with wifi or apps so far, but I don't have lots of apps, yet... I have used betas way worse than this on my primary phone.

dissdnt
Sep 21, 2010, 11:25 AM
So what's the story here. Does 4.2 really work without a registered UDID or nonsense?

peterja
Sep 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
So what's the story here. Does 4.2 really work without a registered UDID or nonsense?
Yes!

CrispyXUK
Sep 21, 2010, 12:55 PM
Ok, so I attempted this and my iPad is now unusable, iTunes says that "We're unable to complete your activation, this device is not registered....

Is there a way out of this?

FassoL
Sep 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
Well, that is a very interesting thread! :)

I'm willing to install 4.2 beta on my iPad, but I'm afraid that I would lose all my data.
Just to make things clear to me, if I clicked ⌥ while clicking on "update" button in iTunes and chose the beta file, my iPad would be updated to 4.2 beta without loosing my data (apps preferences, savegames, pages documents, notes, etc ...) ?

jongriff
Sep 21, 2010, 02:05 PM
Ok, so I attempted this and my iPad is now unusable, iTunes says that "We're unable to complete your activation, this device is not registered....

Is there a way out of this?

Try DFU mode:

1. Connect iPad to computer
2. Turn it off
3. Hold down power and home button for 10 secs
4. After 10 secs release power button but keep holding home button
5. iTunes should detect the ipad and allow you to restore it to 3.2.2

Hope that helps

jongriff
Sep 21, 2010, 02:07 PM
Well, that is a very interesting thread! :)

I'm willing to install 4.2 beta on my iPad, but I'm afraid that I would lose all my data.
Just to make things clear to me, if I clicked ⌥ while clicking on "update" button in iTunes and chose the beta file, my iPad would be updated to 4.2 beta without loosing my data (apps preferences, savegames, pages documents, notes, etc ...) ?

That is what happened for me and others. As you can see above though, not for some people. I can't really think of why?

FassoL
Sep 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
That is what happened for me and others. As you can see above though, not for some people. I can't really think of why?

Hmmm..
I think I should cut the crap and wait for the official update on November :D

Thanks a lot guys, you're the best :)

javaGuru
Sep 21, 2010, 02:38 PM
There's actually a program you can run that will put your iOS device into recover mode. The same program will also take it out of recovery mode. I used this latter option to downgrade my iPad. I can't remember the name of the app right now and I'm at work. I'll post it when I get home later.

I ended up downgrading to 3.2.2 due to 4.2's sluggish performance with magazines such as sports illustrated and the wall street journal.

saving107
Sep 21, 2010, 03:04 PM
There's actually a program you can run that will put your iOS device into recover mode. The same program will also take it out of recovery mode. I used this latter option to downgrade my iPad. I can't remember the name of the app right now and I'm at work. I'll post it when I get home later.

I ended up downgrading to 3.2.2 due to 4.2's sluggish performance with magazines such as sports illustrated and the wall street journal.

I use RecBoot 1.0.2

saving107
Sep 21, 2010, 05:24 PM
So I finally had some free time earlier today and I decided to give it a shot and install the 4.2 beta on my iPad. I followed the instruction from the OP and less than 10 minutes later, I had 4.2 installed and running.

I had zero issues, it never once asked me to validate my installation, and I've been using it regularly for the past 2-3 hrs and I haven't had any app crash yet.

Thanks jongriff,

tibi08
Sep 22, 2010, 02:42 AM
So I finally had some free time earlier today and I decided to give it a shot and install the 4.2 beta on my iPad. I followed the instruction from the OP and less than 10 minutes later, I had 4.2 installed and running.

I had zero issues, it never once asked me to validate my installation, and I've been using it regularly for the past 2-3 hrs and I haven't had any app crash yet.

Thanks jongriff,

I didn't have any issues at the start, it takes a while to notice them. I find safari a bit laggy at times, and some of my apps are broken (e.g. VLC Player). It's not enough to make me go back to v3. There are some features in the v4 beta which are too good to be missing:

- Folders
- Safari improvements, e.g. no re-caching of web pages when switching between tabs, find in page, etc
- Multitasking (even if few apps support it right now)

sourcevision
Sep 22, 2010, 08:10 AM
Just search udid in eBay, all info is there

saving107
Sep 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
Just search udid in eBay, all info is there

Why pay when it can be installed for free, Option + Update doesn't ask for Validation.

davidjearly
Sep 22, 2010, 02:24 PM
Why pay when it can be installed for free, Option + Update doesn't ask for Validation.

I concur. Just installed 4.2 on my iPad and no activation necessary. Just option-click on 'check for updates' and manually select the .ipsw

Working brilliantly on my iPad with no crashes or other nasty bugs uncovered yet.

ecko888
Sep 22, 2010, 03:13 PM
So i was searching google bout a dev account and saw this thread, intruiged as i was i was still abit skeptical, in the end i got the balls to attemp it n it does actually work, im running imac OS 10 (the latest) and iTunes 10, ipad was 3.2 and now is on 4.2, ive literally only JUST done it so i havent noticed anything different yet, but ill play round in a few mins n see. any tips on how to create folders? lol..but i wanna thank the thread starter for the help! thanks

PBG4 Dude
Sep 22, 2010, 03:35 PM
Drop an icon onto another icon and iOS will create a folder for you. Remove all apps from the folder and it will be automagically deleted.

ecko888
Sep 22, 2010, 03:41 PM
Ohhh yes, thanks alot :) its alot cleaner lookin with this, and i think its doubel click the home button for the multitasking window? everythings working fine so far

bthompson
Sep 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
I did this and it works great but now I can't get online on my company's wireless. It sees the network and is connecting but the iPad says it isn't connected to the internet. Sad. I love the multitasking! Any ideas?

Night Spring
Sep 22, 2010, 04:34 PM
I did this and it works great but now I can't get online on my company's wireless. It sees the network and is connecting but the iPad says it isn't connected to the internet. Sad. I love the multitasking! Any ideas?

Try powering off iPad and restart.

Enori
Sep 22, 2010, 05:52 PM
Wtf, it really worked. Just alt+update, no dev account.

saving107
Sep 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
Wtf, it really worked. Just alt+update, no dev account.

I forgot to say this earlier, but this method also works on the iPhone. I installed 4.2 on my old iPhone 3G just for fun, but not on my iPhone 4 (this is my day-to-day phone and I don't want to install a beta OS on it).

was this method possible with previous iOS betas? (Like iOS 4/3)

bthompson
Sep 22, 2010, 07:29 PM
Try powering off iPad and restart.

Tried that and it worked. Yay it's working now. Some of my apps are buggy but not bad. Wifi is a bit buggy as well

Ryan223
Sep 22, 2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks OP! Worked great on my ipod touch 3G!

saberahul
Sep 22, 2010, 10:24 PM
Tried that and it worked. Yay it's working now. Some of my apps are buggy but not bad. Wifi is a bit buggy as well

Ya... my wifi doesn't work anymore. I have to restart iPad for it to work and then within an hour it stops again. When it does work I don't see the wifi logo on top left (I just see "iPad"). I hope they release beta 2 next week only.

dejo
Sep 23, 2010, 01:48 PM
Posting a link is not allowed under the forum rules (and the mods will remove it), so don't hold your breath.

hwalker84
Sep 23, 2010, 05:28 PM
Didn't work for me.

saberahul
Sep 23, 2010, 05:29 PM
Posting a link is not allowed under the forum rules (and the mods will remove it), so don't hold your breath.

i assume you mean posting torrent links - which makes sense and not something like cnn.com (which won't make sense).

pound4pound30
Sep 23, 2010, 09:31 PM
I am currently running 4.2 on the iPad as of 5 minutes ago without a dev account. Works perfect so far.

SteveKnobs
Sep 23, 2010, 10:07 PM
Finally got the beta working thanks to a nameless devel adding me to their account. So far so good. Multitasking is awesome and works great. Its an understatement to say this feature was looong overdue, but I'm glad it's finally here.

pjcforpres2020
Sep 23, 2010, 10:34 PM
Doing a full restore (but you need your udid registered) minimizes most all problems... I have only had the WiFi issue one time in 4 days, and had one other freeze when I had multiple tabs open in Atomic browser and even more in Safari, plus had Docs2Go running as well.

I have theory that sticking to apps made both for the iPad and iPhone (which means 4.0 compatible) reduces tons of issues. Then again, I am not an app whore (yet) on my iPad.

BriZNiZ
Sep 24, 2010, 03:35 AM
Took me a few tries to get it figured out right but am now on 4.2 / worked like a charm thanks again!

ecko888
Sep 24, 2010, 11:07 AM
only drawbacks ive found are 'some' apps tend to be abit slower/glitchy, and wifi goes off now n then but i just go to settings and click connect n it usually works again, without having to restart the iPad etc,

can someone point out to me whats so good about the multitasking (may be a stupid question) i know bout the pressing home button twice brings it up but whats so good about that? you could just press home and then click whatever app u needed on 3.2... not really a big improvement to be unless im doing something wrong / missing something, please point it out if i am !

SteveKnobs
Sep 24, 2010, 12:42 PM
only drawbacks ive found are 'some' apps tend to be abit slower/glitchy, and wifi goes off now n then but i just go to settings and click connect n it usually works again, without having to restart the iPad etc,

can someone point out to me whats so good about the multitasking (may be a stupid question) i know bout the pressing home button twice brings it up but whats so good about that? you could just press home and then click whatever app u needed on 3.2... not really a big improvement to be unless im doing something wrong / missing something, please point it out if i am !

What's so good about it is that we can now switch between open apps almost immediately. Say for instance if I am reading an etextbook and typing notes at the same time- I don't have to reopen the textbook app and wait for it to load if I switch to the note taking app. I can just seamlessly switch between the two apps. It's very handy.

ecko888
Sep 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
What's so good about it is that we can now switch between open apps almost immediately. Say for instance if I am reading an etextbook and typing notes at the same time- I don't have to reopen the textbook app and wait for it to load if I switch to the note taking app. I can just seamlessly switch between the two apps. It's very handy.

Ahh i see now, ive just attempted this and yeah you're right, its very useful, thanks for the input.

SteveKnobs
Sep 24, 2010, 06:48 PM
Ahh i see now, ive just attempted this and yeah you're right, its very useful, thanks for the input.

Anytime my man- enjoy it the cool features:D

mosx
Sep 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
Definitely DO NOT need a developer account.

Just do an upgrade, not a restore. Works perfectly.

I went back to 3.2.1 though. Theres a bug in the iPod app. If you're listening to music using the EQ and you skip a song, it makes all sorts of screwed up sounds before skipping.

Edit: It's really freakin stupid that "Retina" apps don't run at native resolution on the iPad and are upscaled from 480x320. I would imagine its because Apple wants to keep on the good side of developers that love to rip us off with "HD" versions of the same app, and rake in more profits themselves.

pruppert
Sep 25, 2010, 12:32 PM
Now that it is Saturday and I have some free time, I think I'm gonna go ahead and try the beta. Before I do, has anyone noticed any major problems running any of the following 3rd party apps?

Reeder for iPad
Atomic browser
Netflix
AirVideo
Pandora

Thanks for feedback.

ecks618
Sep 25, 2010, 02:15 PM
A quick note to installing a Beta without a developer's account.

I had a dev account and it expired just after os 4 becoming available for the iPhone. I was able to do upgrade and decided to let my account expire. About 2 weeks after it expired I plugged the phone into the computer and iTunes bricked the phone.

My guess is that as long as you do not plug the iPad into a computer or make sure the wifi/lan is off when you do then it shouldn't be a problem. Don't assume that if it works now Apple won't find a way to disable it later.

pruppert
Sep 25, 2010, 02:25 PM
I just updated with no difficulty using the option click on check for updates method on a Mac without a developer id.

In response to my just previous post:

Reeder for iPad - works
Atomic browser - works
Netflix - works
AirVideo - app opens but does not stream video
Pandora - works and supports background audio

Another of my most frequently used apps, iTeleport (universal version), crashes every time upon opening the app.

Other small bugs already noticed, but no deal breakers as of yet.

Interestingly, airplay streams to airport express but will not even stream audio to current (old) Apple TV. USB printer is set up to share from Mac on the network but iPad cannot find it.

putterboy101
Sep 25, 2010, 04:04 PM
Tried this and it bricked my ipad anyone want to add me to their dev account or get me back to a working 3.2.2 ipad??

thanks

mrbrown
Sep 25, 2010, 11:22 PM
USB printer is set up to share from Mac on the network but iPad cannot find it.

You need 10.6.5 for the iPad to recognize shared printers.

Night Spring
Sep 26, 2010, 12:48 AM
Tried this and it bricked my ipad anyone want to add me to their dev account or get me back to a working 3.2.2 ipad??

thanks

Did you try putting it into DFU mode, then restore?

bafrad
Sep 26, 2010, 04:01 PM

^ This is what worked for me.

MacRumoren
Sep 26, 2010, 10:59 PM
thanks

yup, same here. made the mistake of using "restore" instead of "update".

Now even though it's in DFU mode, itunes keeps saying "We're unable to complete your activation."

Can't downgrade, can't restore, can't change anything.

Night Spring
Sep 26, 2010, 11:22 PM
yup, same here. made the mistake of using "restore" instead of "update".

Now even though it's in DFU mode, itunes keeps saying "We're unable to complete your activation."

Can't downgrade, can't restore, can't change anything.

Are you sure you have it in DFU? With Windows, when a connected device gets into DFU, Windows will pop a message saying it is updating the device driver. If you don't see the updating drivers message, you aren't in DFU. Not sure if there's any similar indicator on the Mac.

dejo
Sep 26, 2010, 11:31 PM
i assume you mean posting torrent links - which makes sense and not something like cnn.com (which won't make sense).
I meant posting anything that links to the beta iOS.

icemanzzz
Sep 27, 2010, 02:01 PM
I've read somewhere that after you have successfully installed iOS 4.2 it is not recommended that you restore from back-up. Instead set it up as a new iPad?

Has anyone encountered any problem after installing from back-up? I don't want to set it up as a new iPad since I don't wanna lose my settings/saved data on my apps..

SVT Amateur
Sep 27, 2010, 04:22 PM
I've read somewhere that after you have successfully installed iOS 4.2 it is not recommended that you restore from back-up. Instead set it up as a new iPad?

Has anyone encountered any problem after installing from back-up? I don't want to set it up as a new iPad since I don't wanna lose my settings/saved data on my apps..

Apple says that because these betas are supposed to be on test machines. I installed and restored from my previous backup and have had no issues except for the occasional bug with a program unexpectedly closing - but this might also be because the program hasn't been updated to work with 4.2.

saving107
Sep 27, 2010, 06:28 PM

Are you on a Mac or PC?
Have you already installed 4.2?

their is a method to restore from a back-up, I've done it.

ultravioletfly
Sep 28, 2010, 08:36 PM
Anyone try yet to see if you can install beta 2 in the same fashion? option-select file?

WilliamG
Sep 28, 2010, 09:49 PM
Anyone try yet to see if you can install beta 2 in the same fashion? option-select file?

+1 would like to know this. Itching to install the new BETA.

superericla
Sep 28, 2010, 10:02 PM
+1 would like to know this. Itching to install the new BETA.

I'm downloading it right now and will tell you if it works.
(:

saberahul
Sep 28, 2010, 10:05 PM
I'm downloading it right now and will tell you if it works.
(:

It shouldn't be a problem subject to your UDID is registered.

superericla
Sep 28, 2010, 10:14 PM
The option-select method of updating without a registered UDID does continue to work with the new beta.

pruppert
Sep 28, 2010, 10:14 PM

Just did it. It works.

ultravioletfly
Sep 28, 2010, 10:16 PM
The option-select method of updating without a registered UDID does continue to work with the new beta.

Sweet. Gonna option-update from beta1 to beta2 then. I'm assuming that's the path you were taking.

pruppert
Sep 28, 2010, 10:22 PM
Sweet. Gonna option-update from beta1 to beta2 then. I'm assuming that's the path you were taking.

Yes. It worked fine.

andrewb21
Sep 28, 2010, 10:25 PM
Anyone seeing a difference in stability between option+restoring, and option+updating? I've heard a few others say if you option+restore you will run into problems with the activation (assuming your UDID isn't registered). On the other hand, I've heard if you simply update to 4.2 (either Beta) from 3.2 instead of restore into 4.2 that the Beta will be more buggy, and prone to more problems ie. wifi, 3G access, 3rd party apps, etc.

ntrigue
Sep 28, 2010, 10:41 PM
Often times (every time) somewhere in the docs insists that you restore. At the same time the builds must be able to upgrade for the layman (GM in this instance).

zamenhof
Sep 28, 2010, 11:12 PM
I updated from beta1 to beta2, things work fine so far but I don't have the multitask switching effect everyone is talking about.

SVT Amateur
Sep 28, 2010, 11:20 PM
I updated from beta1 to beta2, things work fine so far but I don't have the multitask switching effect everyone is talking about.

If you switch from one app to another using the multitasking bar on the bottom you don't notice how the window you were in moves behind the window you just switched to?

zamenhof
Sep 28, 2010, 11:31 PM
If you switch from one app to another using the multitasking bar on the bottom you don't notice how the window you were in moves behind the window you just switched to?
It happened once when I switched from one app to the Settings apps. I restarted the device and all just works now. Weird!

scar88
Sep 29, 2010, 02:27 AM
guys i wanted to ask if are using itunes 10 to install the new beta without a dev account? i tried the beta 1 a couple of days back but an error messsage came up saying it wernt compatible

SVT Amateur
Sep 29, 2010, 06:58 AM
guys i wanted to ask if are using itunes 10 to install the new beta without a dev account? i tried the beta 1 a couple of days back but an error messsage came up saying it wernt compatible

I have a developer account but honestly I don't think the version of iTunes you have matters for this. People without a developer account have said that if you want it to work that you have to use the option-update method to install the software rather than option-restore (replace option with ctrl right click if you are a Windows user).

In fact I specifically remember people stating they used both iTunes 9.2 and iTunes 10 to install the beta.

Seamaster
Sep 29, 2010, 07:43 AM
I've successfully installed 4.2b2 via iTunes 10 today with no dev account using the ALT+click update method.

mcaram16
Sep 29, 2010, 08:15 AM
I've successfully installed 4.2b2 via iTunes 10 today with no dev account using the ALT+click update method.

I was able to install beta 1 using Alt click (no dev account), but beta 2 I get the "UDID not registered" error. Why would this work for some but not for all? I tried to go straight from beta 1 to beta 2.....i had to restore back to 3.2.2 (i think thats what it installed)

GravityEyes
Sep 29, 2010, 08:33 AM
Has anyone tried going from 3.2.1 to 4.2b2 without a registered UDID? I may give this a shot today. But would rather not be consumed by restore madness.

WiseDuck
Sep 29, 2010, 08:56 AM
I just went from 3.2.2 to 4.2 using alt-click-update and it works fine. Very happy with performance so far. I did save my SHSH for 3.2.2 just to be safe.

GravityEyes
Sep 29, 2010, 09:58 AM
I just went from 3.2.2 to 4.2 using alt-click-update and it works fine. Very happy with performance so far. I did save my SHSH for 3.2.2 just to be safe.

Thanks~!

saberahul
Sep 29, 2010, 10:08 AM

So when you alt+update (is this on mac, what is it for pc?), do you need to a restore after or does it just update the OS with everything intact?

PhelpsiPhan
Sep 29, 2010, 10:19 AM
I have an iPad and would love to have iOS 4 on it, but should we really be discussing this on here? Its sort of piracy, well at least not allowed since apple dont allow just anyone to update to the beta

redgaz26
Sep 29, 2010, 10:22 AM
I have an iPad and would love to have iOS 4 on it, but should we really be discussing this on here? Its sort of piracy, well at least not allowed since apple dont allow just anyone to update to the beta

your right lets not talk about it;);)

SVT Amateur
Sep 29, 2010, 10:22 AM

Lol, if the moderators didn't want us discussing it they would have closed this thread a long time ago. Using this beta without a developer account is as close to piracy as jail breaking is - which isn't piracy at all.

Night Spring
Sep 29, 2010, 10:24 AM
So when you alt+update (is this on mac, what is it for pc?), do you need to a restore after or does it just update the OS with everything intact?

It's shift+update on a PC, and yes, it just updates the OS with everything intact.

flopticalcube
Sep 29, 2010, 10:26 AM
The mods are monitoring this and other threads. Policy is currently still being formulated AFAIK.

benderbends
Oct 12, 2010, 10:31 PM
i assume 4.2b3 works same as previous installs?
I might try alt+update from 3.2.1 to 4.2b3 tonight.

what is the usability like? is it fairly stable? or lots of bugs and crashing and things not working?

also...when is expected GM release to public?

Ksane
Oct 13, 2010, 12:24 AM
i assume 4.2b3 works same as previous installs?
I might try alt+update from 3.2.1 to 4.2b3 tonight.
what is the usability like? is it fairly stable? or lots of bugs and crashing and things not working?
also...when is expected GM release to public?
Bender, did you try it? I'm jailbroken on 3.2.1 and will probably try it tomorrow just for something to mess around with. I can always get back to where I'm at now.

benderbends
Oct 13, 2010, 01:00 AM
didnt try yet...will do so tonight. but i wanted to hear if beta 3 is fairly stable or not.

SVT Amateur
Oct 13, 2010, 07:02 AM
Beta 3 is just as stable as Beta 2 in my opinion.

Ksane
Oct 13, 2010, 02:00 PM
Bender, I went ahead and did it this AM. Here's what I did:
iTunes 9.2.1.4
Did a complete restore to iPad 3.2.1 and set it up as a new iPad. (not sure if that's neccessary but I wanted to start fresh).
Had to delete the "C:/ProgramData/Apple Computer" folder because I kept getting an error about file security. I looked around the web and found the solution. It's got nothing to do with the new beta but has to do with iTunes.
(This was important to quit getting that error).
After the update to ios 4.2 beta 3 was done, iTunes told me the iPad couldn't be used because I needed iTunes ver 10. I unplugged and it worked fine but in order to sync my music and apps I did have to upgrade to iTunes ver 10.
Working just fine so far :-) I do like the way Apple does multitasking a LOT better than Backgrounder. If only Apple would allow an Activator-like app for gestures in the App Store. I wouldn't even jailbreak if they would.

lozpop
Oct 14, 2010, 11:43 AM
Reading all these pages I've my idea, but can you confirm me, guys, that after upgrading to 4.2, I just have to click Restore to restore the iPad to 3.2.2?

Because I'm also reading about SHSH (???) and bootloader that can't be downgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Seamaster
Oct 16, 2010, 04:53 AM
The mods are monitoring this and other threads. Policy is currently still being formulated AFAIK.

What the hell does that mean?

Pinger
Oct 16, 2010, 07:39 AM
I joined Apple's Developmemt last night hoping to be able to get a copy of iOS4.2_beta 3 (I just don't trust the other non-apple sites) but unfortunately it seems I would have to give them $99 to access the file.. Disappointing, hoped being a registered member would allow me the chance to test it.. I truely need Multitasking.. :(

Ksane
Oct 16, 2010, 01:48 PM
I joined Apple's Developmemt last night hoping to be able to get a copy of iOS4.2_beta 3 (I just don't trust the other non-apple sites) but unfortunately it seems I would have to give them $99 to access the file.. Disappointing, hoped being a registered member would allow me the chance to test it.. I truely need Multitasking.. :(

If you need multi-tasking then jailbreak. Backgrounder is better than nothing.
Also....the non-Apple sites? Have the same identical 4.2 copies as Apple puts out. They get it from people who HAVE paid the $99. They're not out to screw up your device.

flopticalcube
Oct 16, 2010, 02:01 PM
What the hell does that mean?
It was a response to this post.
Lol, if the moderators didn't want us discussing it they would have closed this thread a long time ago. Using this beta without a developer account is as close to piracy as jail breaking is - which isn't piracy at all.

Pinger
Oct 16, 2010, 02:34 PM
Can't "Jailbreaking" brick a iPad under some situations or flag Apple as in not allowing future updates???
Luckily not going that route, a friend came through for me with the beta 3.. Now to read up on backup & install..

If you need multi-tasking then jailbreak. Backgrounder is better than nothing.
Also....the non-Apple sites? Have the same identical 4.2 copies as Apple puts out. They get it from people who HAVE paid the $99. They're not out to screw up your device.

zhenya
Oct 16, 2010, 02:52 PM
Can't "Jailbreaking" brick a iPad under some situations or flag Apple as in not allowing future updates???

No.

zhenya
Oct 16, 2010, 02:54 PM
Can anyone verify the MD5 of the beta 3 ipsw?

Thanks!

Pinger
Oct 17, 2010, 11:44 AM
Well got a copy of bete3 but after some research I see Netflix app is one of the apps affected which has me backpedaling a bit... Want to make sure I can go back to 3.2.2 if need be.. What would be the correct way to make sure I can go back??? If you rather not post it here feel free to IM me..
Thank you in advance!!

Ksane
Oct 17, 2010, 01:59 PM
Well got a copy of bete3 but after some research I see Netflix app is one of the apps affected which has me backpedaling a bit... Want to make sure I can go back to 3.2.2 if need be.. What would be the correct way to make sure I can go back??? If you rather not post it here feel free to IM me..
Thank you in advance!!

Pinger, make sure you've got a copy of the 3.2.2 firmware downloaded and saved on your computer. If you don't have a copy of it you might have to do a web search to find it. Make sure you've also got Tiny Umbrella downloaded and have ran it to make sure your shsh are saved and you know how to use it. That way you'll always be able to get back to 3.2.2 in iTunes by using the shift (in Win) or (I believe Option in Mac) buttons plus clicking Restore at the same time. I've gone back and forth a couple times with no problems.
Edit: You're research was correct-Netflix does NOT work in 4.2 beta 3.

Pinger
Oct 17, 2010, 02:21 PM
Thank you Ksane,
Darn, that's a shame about Netflix, such is expected with betas though.. I'm sure Netflix is already working on fix for the final iOS release.
I am running Windows 7, I will get Tiny Umbrella and make sure SHSH is saved..
Forgot to ask but will install AND restore doable with the latest 9.xx iTunes??

Ksane
Oct 17, 2010, 02:38 PM
Pinger, yep. I've got the newest iTunes and have upgraded and downgraded (to 3.2.1) both on it. The very 1st time I upgraded to 4.2 beta 3 I had the old iTunes but an hour ago when I did it I had the newest iTunes.

Pinger
Oct 17, 2010, 07:40 PM
Ahh good to, thanks Ksane.. Got shsh backed up and 3.2.2 from Apple but not ready to pull the trigger on beta 3.... Netflix is a fav of mine and not sure I can give it up over multitasking lol...

Ksane
Oct 17, 2010, 07:48 PM
Ahh good to, know thanks Ksane.. Got shsh backed up and 3.2.2 from Apple but not ready to pull the trigger on beta 3.... Netflix is a fav of mine and not sure I can give it up over multitasking lol...
If you use Netflix a lot I wouldn't even bother with the new beta. You've got Backgrounder and Circutious at your fingertips now that you can use. I do like the easy way 4.2 does folders.....but not sure it's worth me living without Activator for several more wks. I was hoping they'd come out with that JB for 4.2 beta like everyone was saying but it doesn't look like it.

coolwater
Oct 17, 2010, 09:40 PM

Well, Apple and Jobs can kiss my applesauce. I have been patient enough, but I just couldn't wait another 6 or 7 weeks for their official upgrade. I'm sorry, taking 6 long months to convert 'iPhone OS' to 'iPad OS' is simply too lazy.

ibookster
Oct 18, 2010, 04:28 AM
Of course Netflix will have a fix for the final release. That is what a beta is for...

Pinger
Oct 18, 2010, 06:14 AM
Of course Netflix will have a fix for the final release. That is what a beta is for...

Never doubted it, that's what I said "such is expected with betas"... I'm sure 99% of the apps will be ready come release od the new iOS..

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 01:08 AM
Ok, I tried updating to 4.2 beta 3, didn't realize I had to save the "SHSH" first, never heard of that until now. Stupid me.

Sad to say, the 4.2 said I needed a developer account or whatever, but yet I can't get back to 3.2.2 either. What should I do?

Ksane
Oct 25, 2010, 01:20 AM
Ok, I tried updating to 4.2 beta 3, didn't realize I had to save the "SHSH" first, never heard of that until now. Stupid me.
Sad to say, the 4.2 said I needed a developer account or whatever, but yet I can't get back to 3.2.2 either. What should I do?

Did you hold down the shift key (in windows. In Mac I think it's the option key) and click "UPDATE" (not restore!) and navigate to the 4.2 beta you'd downloaded and saved on your computer?
I've updated multiple times to the betas and it's always worked fine. You can always restore to 3.2.2 without having saved your shsh since 3.2.2 is the current firmware.

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 01:28 AM
Did you hold down the shift key (in windows. In Mac I think it's the option key) and click "UPDATE" (not restore!) and navigate to the 4.2 beta you'd downloaded and saved on your computer?
I've updated multiple times to the betas and it's always worked fine. You can always restore to 3.2.2 without having saved your shsh since 3.2.2 is the current firmware.

I think that's the problem, I restored. Should've just updated it. NOW the problem is it's stuck in 4.2 as the latest firmware at that "can't restore because not signed into dev." or whatever it says. It's stuck in 4.2, thinking it's the latest firmware, so I can't go back now...

:( There has to be a way for me to get ANY firmware running on this thing...

Ksane
Oct 25, 2010, 01:37 AM
Get it into DFU mode. There's instructions all over and I've done it multiple times but I just do it without paying attention to the steps. I'm 99% sure you just plug it into your computer.....with iTunes open....then hold down the home button and sleep button at the same time for about 10 seconds. When you see the apple on the screen let go of the home button but keep holding the sleep button. You'll get the 'connect to iTunes' on your ipad screen. Then iTunes will tell you it's detected an ipad in restore mode and ask you if you want to restore. Tell it yes and it'll restore youto 3.2.2. Let me know how it goes.
Edit: Duh, I might be wrong.......you might have to have 3.2.2 downloaded already. Or.....you mighht be able to still hit shift+update to get 4.2 to install properly.

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 01:45 AM
Get it into DFU mode. There's instructions all over and I've done it multiple times but I just do it without paying attention to the steps. I'm 99% sure you just plug it into your computer.....with iTunes open....then hold down the home button and sleep button at the same time for about 10 seconds. When you see the apple on the screen let go of the home button but keep holding the sleep button. You'll get the 'connect to iTunes' on your ipad screen. Then iTunes will tell you it's detected an ipad in restore mode and ask you if you want to restore. Tell it yes and it'll restore youto 3.2.2. Let me know how it goes.
Edit: Duh, I might be wrong.......you might have to have 3.2.2 downloaded already. Or.....you mighht be able to still hit shift+update to get 4.2 to install properly.

Yea I did this also. It takes about 10 minutes, about 75% of the restore, it'll pop up saying error, can't restore. Any other suggestions. (I'm trying again now.)

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 01:49 AM
Could it be that i'm using the wrong 4.2? (iPad1,1_4.2_8C5115c_Restore)

Ksane
Oct 25, 2010, 01:50 AM
Yea I did this also. It takes about 10 minutes, about 75% of the restore, it'll pop up saying error, can't restore. Any other suggestions. (I'm trying again now.)

I remember mine telling me that one of the times......but I just clicked the error away and unplugged it and it was restored.
If you're directing it to the copy of 3.2.2 that you downloaded from somewhere it ought to restore it to that.

Ksane
Oct 25, 2010, 01:52 AM
Could it be that i'm using the wrong 4.2? (iPad1,1_4.2_8C5115c_Restore)

I believe that one's beta 3. But you should be able to use any of the betas. Sorry, I was thinking you were trying to get back to 3.2.2 right now.
If you're directing it to a copy of 4.2 then you need to be clicking UPDATE and not RESTORE.

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 01:55 AM
I believe that one's beta 3. But you should be able to use any of the betas. Sorry, I was thinking you were trying to get back to 3.2.2 right now.
If you're directing it to a copy of 4.2 then you need to be clicking UPDATE and not RESTORE.

Yea I'm trying to get it back to 3.2.2, BUT I just want this thing working again, so which ever one gets me back up and running, will be good enough for now. I'll keep trying these steps you've given me.

Ksane
Oct 25, 2010, 01:56 AM
You do have a copy of 3.2.2 downloaded that you're directing it to correct?

Ksane
Oct 25, 2010, 01:58 AM
Had you jailbroken it while on 3.2.2? Because if you had then Cydia will have a copy of your shsh and you can use a program called Tiny Umbrella to get back to 3.2.2

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 01:59 AM
You do have a copy of 3.2.2 downloaded that you're directing it to correct? Yea, I have iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore
Trying now, to go to it directly.

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 02:00 AM
Had you jailbroken it while on 3.2.2? Because if you had then Cydia will have a copy of your shsh and you can use a program called Tiny Umbrella to get back to 3.2.2

Never jailbroken. I downloaded Tiny Umbrella, but since it was already "half way" installed with 4.2, Tiny Umbrella won't be able to help get that SHSH

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 02:02 AM
...same problem occurred again when directing the restore to 3.2. :(

Ksane
Oct 25, 2010, 02:05 AM
that's too weird. If nothing else you can ALWAYS go back to the current firmware (3.2.2) by doing a restore. People complaim because they lose their settings but it can always be done. Not sure why you're having problems. If you're like me you're doing 1 tiny thing wrong and you'll figure it out and feel stupid. I do that all the time.
Have to get to sleep but Keep trying. Because I KNOW you can always do a complete restore no matter what. I dont think you even need the downloaded copy of 3.2.2......

Ksane
Oct 25, 2010, 02:06 AM
...same problem occurred again when directing the restore to 3.2. :(

Do a complete restore without directing it anywhere. Let iTunes do it itself.

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 02:06 AM
that's too weird. If nothing else you can ALWAYS go back to the current firmware (3.2.2) by doing a restore. People complaim because they lose their settings but it can always be done. Not sure why you're having problems. If you're like me you're doing 1 tiny thing wrong and you'll figure it out and feel stupid. I do that all the time.
Have to get to sleep but Keep trying. Because I KNOW you can always do a complete restore no matter what. I dont think you even need the downloaded copy of 3.2.2......

Thanks for the help. I'll keep trying. Hope to have better results!

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 02:08 AM
Do a complete restore without directing it anywhere. Let iTunes do it itself.

Did this also. Same results...#@$#@%

nashpdotcom
Oct 25, 2010, 11:29 AM
Wow. This became very easy once I had the write weapons to attack the problem.

Anyone that ever gets that error, there's a program called "Recboot":

"Step 3: After restore process if you encountered an error message like 1011, 1013, 1015, just ignore them(Actually the firmware is already successfully installed). To exit recovery mode download Recboot, once you finishes your download launch Recboot app and hit the “exit recovery mode” button."
(http://www.techtosh.com/ipad/downgrade-ipad-os-4-2-beta-to-3-2-2/)

I just click "Exit Recovery", a message popped up saying "awake my precious." My iPad then restarted into 3.2.2

:) thanks for the help!

Ksane
Oct 25, 2010, 12:12 PM
That's excellent info to have, I'd never heard of that program.
If you still want to try 4.2 remember to click the 'update' not the 'restore'.
Glad you got it figured out, knew you would!

ddk121
Oct 25, 2010, 04:58 PM
Just to confirm one thing before taking the plunge and installing 4.2 beta 3 on my iPad. When 4.2 is released to the general public, I will be able to update my 4.2 beta 3 ipad to the GM release without a problem won't I?

Many Thanks

techiegirl
Oct 26, 2010, 11:34 AM
I used the "update" method and was able to install 4.2 beta 3.

87vert
Oct 26, 2010, 02:35 PM
I used the "update" method and was able to install 4.2 beta 3.

same here but I had my udid registered, it was only $6 dollars.

Manix
Oct 28, 2010, 08:00 AM
hey anybody has an idea when GM comes out? I'm eager to use iOS 4 but I'm not a developer anybody ready to add me to his dev account?? please pm

FLYING SE7EN
Oct 28, 2010, 10:10 AM
Add me to the group who was able to update to 4.2 with no problems whatsoever (besides the beta bugs).

Question, when the official FW is released, will iTunes recognize my firmware as a beta and prompt me to update?

Saberon
Oct 28, 2010, 01:30 PM
IT should ask you to update to official OS4.2 unless by some rare occurrence, the last beta version is identical to the real thing. Then there's no need to update.

QSpace
Oct 31, 2010, 01:17 PM
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents.
I downloaded the iOS 4.2 Beta 3 and tried to install it on my Ipad. Got it off some website that had a direct link to the file.

I am running latest iTunes version 10.0.XX and Windows 7.

After doing a SHIFT KEY Restore and picking the Beta 3 ipsw file everything installed fine. However, when it tried to activate my iPad I got a message in iTunes that I need to register my device with a Developer ID which I don't have.
Putting the iPad in Recovery mode to try to do a restore back to 3.2.2. failed. The error code I got, according to the Apple Tech, was caused because I was trying to downgrade. They told me I have to call the developer team which I new I couldn't do.

Finally, I was able to restore my iPad back to the way it was by following the steps found here: http://thetechjournal.com/electronics/steps-to-downgrade-ipad-4-2-to-3-2-2-or-3-2-1-ios-firmware.xhtml

Hopes this helps somebody in a similar jam.

Don't understand why updating to iOS 4.2 is working for some. Which Beta is acutally working 1, 2 or 3 without a developer UDID?

petvas
Oct 31, 2010, 01:25 PM
Just to confirm one thing before taking the plunge and installing 4.2 beta 3 on my iPad. When 4.2 is released to the general public, I will be able to update my 4.2 beta 3 ipad to the GM release without a problem won't I?

Many Thanks

Yes, you will be.

Rouser
Oct 31, 2010, 01:29 PM
QSpace you must SHIFT Update (not restore) for it to work without a developer account. Each Beta has an expiration date and Betas 1 & 2 have ended. Beta 3 is the most current and works without a dev account at your own risk. Hope that helps.

bharkol1
Nov 3, 2010, 10:30 PM
i downloaded the beta 2 of iTunes and beta 3 of ipad flash. Not sure if it matters but I did this on a 3g ipad that was just purchased the other day to replace my last one that was stolen. Regardless, I was not prompted for a developer login.

bigbro1096
Nov 9, 2010, 06:11 AM
I tried this and it bricked my iPad for 3 hours then after playing with it I got it to restore back to 3.3.3 or what ever but i did get it to work on my dads iPod touch 2nd gen.

bigbro1096
Nov 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
Ok well I'm going to try this again. I don't want to brick my iPad like the first time so can someone give me a link to a video saying how or very descriptive instructions?! Or if some one can reply with directions I'll be grateful. Like do you need dfumode or anything? Thanks

Night Spring
Nov 12, 2010, 04:11 PM
Ok well I'm going to try this again. I don't want to brick my iPad like the first time so can someone give me a link to a video saying how or very descriptive instructions?! Or if some one can reply with directions I'll be grateful. Like do you need dfumode or anything? Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's been said several times in this thread, but you SHIFT+UPDATE (or option+update on the Mac, I think it was). Just whatever you do, don't click restore.

bigbro1096
Nov 12, 2010, 05:33 PM
I'm pretty sure it's been said several times in this thread, but you SHIFT+UPDATE (or option+update on the Mac, I think it was). Just whatever you do, don't click restore.

Just wanted to make sure because the first time it bricked it but I just got done trying it again and it worked, no problems so far :knock on wood:

bigbro1096
Nov 13, 2010, 04:47 PM
You can now download and upgrade to GMb from gum ball tech. Already have

robertpetry
Nov 13, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hello folks!

So I did the Shift/Update and installed 4.2 GM1 on my iPad last week and it has been working great. No Wifi problems so that I can see.

I decided to install 4.2 GM2 and try it as well but when I do the Shift/Update on it now I get a dialog that says it will install the update and then verify with Apple.

I do not have a UDID. So did I just miss that it said it would check with Apple the first time or is this different than the first GM? Would I have the same success updating it as I did before?

Thanks

atr
Nov 13, 2010, 07:55 PM
I upgraded mine yesterday to 4.2 GMb without a problem. It did the "verify with apple" thing and I had no problem both times that I upgraded to 4.2GM. I do not have a developer account.

ryank42
Nov 13, 2010, 08:08 PM
I've been unable to upgrade to the latest 4.2 GMb (I'm running 3.2.2). I first tried doing Option+Update, selecting the 4.2 IPSW, and letting it proceed. The update is installed, but when the iPad reboots to reconnect to ITunes the gray progress bar freezes 3/4 of the way through. It continues to freeze if I try to reboot it regardless of whether it is connected to the computer or not.

I put it in recovery mode and restored to my old backup, which reverted to the 3.2.2 firmware. I then tried to option+restore to 4.2 instead of update, but had a similar problem - the restore worked, but when I was prompted to set it up as a new iPad or restore settings from a previous backup, I chose the previous backup so I don't lose all my stuff. It loaded, but once again froze after rebooting at the gray progress bar.

I'm on OS 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1. What's going wrong here?

robertpetry
Nov 13, 2010, 08:21 PM
Oh great.

I tried to update and got an error 3014 and now in recovery mode. What is the best way to recover from a backup of 4.2 with all my info? I assume it will restore to 3.2.2 or whatever and I will need to then shift+restore to 4.2 GM2.

I copied my backup folders to my desktop before starting any of this in case I needed them.

jonnyb098
Nov 16, 2010, 11:31 PM
I've been unable to upgrade to the latest 4.2 GMb (I'm running 3.2.2). I first tried doing Option+Update, selecting the 4.2 IPSW, and letting it proceed. The update is installed, but when the iPad reboots to reconnect to ITunes the gray progress bar freezes 3/4 of the way through. It continues to freeze if I try to reboot it regardless of whether it is connected to the computer or not.

I put it in recovery mode and restored to my old backup, which reverted to the 3.2.2 firmware. I then tried to option+restore to 4.2 instead of update, but had a similar problem - the restore worked, but when I was prompted to set it up as a new iPad or restore settings from a previous backup, I chose the previous backup so I don't lose all my stuff. It loaded, but once again froze after rebooting at the gray progress bar.

I'm on OS 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1. What's going wrong here?

I am having the same problem. I dont want to update it and have to restore without getting all my data back inside the apps, but every time I try to restore from backup the progress bar freezes near the end. Grrrrrr!:mad:

justinleon
Nov 18, 2010, 02:47 AM
My ipad on GM 4.2b2 is bricked after I turned it off to save battery.

It will not get out of the error 21 loop. I've tried Recboot and tiny umbrella to no avail.

Anyone has this issue? I'm trying to restore to 3.2.2 at this point, i don't care about restoring my backup.

Night Spring
Nov 18, 2010, 02:50 AM
My ipad on GM 4.2b2 is bricked after I turned it off to save battery.

It will not get out of the error 21 loop. I've tried Recboot and tiny umbrella to no avail.

Anyone has this issue? I'm trying to restore to 3.2.2 at this point, i don't care about restoring my backup.

Did you try putting it into DFU mode?

justinleon
Nov 18, 2010, 02:52 AM
Did you try putting it into DFU mode?

Yes, several times over, yet to no avail. I have an appointment the genius in a few hrs....unless I can find someway to unbrick they'll have to take a look.

Ksane
Nov 18, 2010, 03:11 AM
You need the new iTunes 10.1 with 4.2 GM. But 10.1 won't work with iOS 3.2.2 so you need to have the older iTunes version. I used iTunes 9 to get back to 3.2.2 but I think iTunes 10.0 will work, too.
Then just hold down the power button and home button for 10 seconds until the Apple comes on the screen then let go of the power button but continue holding the home button until the 'connect to iTunes' comes up on the screen.
If you've already done all that (including uninstalling iTunes 10.1 and putting the old iTunes version on) then there's also a chance the battery's dead and you need to leave it plugged in a minimum of about 10 minutes to charge up enough to try the steps In the 1st part of this post.

justinleon
Nov 18, 2010, 03:24 AM
You need the new iTunes 10.1 with 4.2 GM. But 10.1 won't work with iOS 3.2.2 so you need to have the older iTunes version. I used iTunes 9 to get back to 3.2.2 but I think iTunes 10.0 will work, too.
Then just hold down the power button and home button for 10 seconds until the Apple comes on the screen then let go of the power button but continue holding the home button until the 'connect to iTunes' comes up on the screen.
If you've already done all that (including uninstalling iTunes 10.1 and putting the old iTunes version on) then there's also a chance the battery's dead and you need to leave it plugged in a minimum of about 10 minutes to charge up enough to try the steps In the 1st part of this post.

i'll try that just in case they reject my ipad for installing GM sw.

Its gonna be a WHILE for me to back everything up (apps, music, etc)

justinleon
Nov 19, 2010, 12:30 AM
Okay I tried to update using itunes 9 and it still wont work!

I'm screwed. Google of course has failed me.

blueroom
Nov 19, 2010, 12:32 AM
Okay I tried to update using itunes 9 and it still wont work!

I'm screwed. Google of course has failed me.

Why are you using iTunes 9 ?

justinleon
Nov 19, 2010, 01:29 AM
Why are you using iTunes 9 ?
well i tried it on another computer to no avail. I also downgraded to 10.0.1 and that didn't work.

Ksane
Nov 19, 2010, 03:00 AM
but you said you were RESTORING to 3.2.2 not updating. 4.2 GM needs iTunes 10.1, 3.2.2 needs iTunes 10 or lower. I'm a little confused as to what you're attempting to do. Didn't you say you had a Genius appt 24 hrs ago?

justinleon
Nov 19, 2010, 11:40 AM
but you said you were RESTORING to 3.2.2 not updating. 4.2 GM needs iTunes 10.1, 3.2.2 needs iTunes 10 or lower. I'm a little confused as to what you're attempting to do. Didn't you say you had a Genius appt 24 hrs ago?

What i'm trying to do is simply unbrick the pad. It is stuck on the DFU loop with the "connect to itunes screen" I've tried reinstalling 4.2 and also tried to restore to 3.2.2 in a virgin state to no avail.

I just rescheduled my appt to tomorrow so I'll see what happens.

Night Spring
Nov 19, 2010, 12:09 PM
What i'm trying to do is simply unbrick the pad. It is stuck on the DFU loop with the "connect to itunes screen" I've tried reinstalling 4.2 and also tried to restore to 3.2.2 in a virgin state to no avail.

I just rescheduled my appt to tomorrow so I'll see what happens.

If it's showing the "connect to iTunes" screen, then it's in restore mode, not DFU mode. When you are in DFU, the screen is black. Have you made sure you've managed to put it in DFU and tried to restore to 3.2.2?

justinleon
Nov 19, 2010, 01:32 PM
If it's showing the "connect to iTunes" screen, then it's in restore mode, not DFU mode. When you are in DFU, the screen is black. Have you made sure you've managed to put it in DFU and tried to restore to 3.2.2?

It won't get out of the restore mode. I've tried to get it into DFU mode to no avail.

Everytime after it verifies it has the error 21

edit: after I put it into DFU, the screen goes white and then has the error 21

Night Spring
Nov 19, 2010, 01:57 PM
It won't get out of the restore mode. I've tried to get it into DFU mode to no avail.

Everytime after it verifies it has the error 21

edit: after I put it into DFU, the screen goes white and then has the error 21

Googling error 21 turns up lots of suggestions on how to fix it. Not sure which ones might apply to this case, and it's hard to weed out outdated stuff. :(

stix
Nov 21, 2010, 07:26 AM
My upgrade to 4.2.1 failed... now I get error 1015 when restoring from DFU mode. What do I do to get this thing back up and running?

Night Spring
Nov 21, 2010, 07:37 AM
My upgrade to 4.2.1 failed... now I get error 1015 when restoring from DFU mode. What do I do to get this thing back up and running?

Get TinyUmbrela. When you get the error, use TU to kick iPad out of recovery mode.

stix
Nov 21, 2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks Night Spring... "restore in progress"... let's see if it completes ok.