PDA

View Full Version : Dead Mini G4

arjena
Sep 20, 2010, 07:01 AM
I have here a MacMini G4 (A1103) that seems to be dead. When I attach the power cord the fan starts to blow and that's it. So of course I figured it must be the power brick. Alas, when attaching another power brick from another Mac Mini the same thing happens. The fan blows and that's it. Harddisk is fine, I removed it from the computer and saved all data.
Tried resetting the PMU but no go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Arjen

mr.steevo
Sep 20, 2010, 05:01 PM
No boot gong? No hdd sounds? No disc drive sounds? Just blowing fan?

I've heard of the PRAM battery causing odd symptoms. Given the age of the mini why not buy a battery for a few bucks and changing it out. Who knows.

arjena
Sep 20, 2010, 05:03 PM
No boot gong, no other sound than the fan blowing.
I never thought of replacing the battery, is worth the few euro's that will cost me. Let you know what happens.

Tnx,

A

arjena
Sep 21, 2010, 12:03 PM
Replaced the battery, but no change.

Other suggestions?

Tnx,

Arjen

PowerGamerX
Sep 21, 2010, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a bad power controller in the mini itself. I'd say a logic board replacement would be needed.

You could also try kicking it. My friend had a G4 that he kicked when it was "broken" and now it works?

Just a thought. :P

mr.steevo
Sep 21, 2010, 12:55 PM
You could also try kicking it.

It worked for Han Solo with the Millennium Falcon.

As for the battery attempt... oh well. It was worth a try. Too bad, as I was hoping to look like the hero for this thread.

I think it is quite dead. Sell the parts for a few euros.

If it's any consolation the new minis look fantastic.

arjena
Sep 21, 2010, 01:07 PM
@PowergamerX: When all else fails I'll give it a good kick. So far I've got a feeling we're not quite there yet.

@mr.steevo: The battery was worth a try, especially since it turns out it's the very same battery I that goes in my heart rate monitor. And I needed a new battery for that anyway, so nothing is lost. Apart from your hopes of 'becoming the hero of the thread'. ;-)

Anyway, it seems options are getting thin.
Just one more question. On the motherboard, close to the back of the machine is a small button. I tried pressing it as I assumed it was the PMU-reset button, but according to Apple a PMU reset is done by inserting the power cord while holding the power button. So what is this button for?

Thanks,

Arjen