Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
According to a post on Mashable, Google will soon be rolling out the ability to edit Google Docs on the iPad (and in Android).

Google announced this morning that it will be bringing mobile editing capabilities to Google Docs on the iPad and Android.

Soon, users will be able to collaborate and co-edit documents and files from a range of devices.
http://mashable.com/2010/09/20/google-apps-ipad-security/http://mashable.com/2010/09/20/google-apps-ipad-security/

And here's the official word, straight from Google:
Second, today we demonstrated new mobile editing capabilities for Google Docs on the Android platform and the iPad. In the next few weeks, co-workers around the world will soon be able to co-edit files simultaneously from an even wider array of devices.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/three-million-businesses-have-gone.html

Good news for many. Apple and iWork need to step up in this area.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Google Docs Editing on iPad Coming Soon, Google Earth for iOS Updated

122215-google_docs.jpg

As part of a blog post discussing its "Google Atmosphere" conference on cloud computing and some new milestones relating to businesses moving to its Google Apps platform, Google reveals that it is preparing to roll out support for Google Docs editing on the iPad and on Android.
. . .today we demonstrated new mobile editing capabilities for Google Docs on the Android platform and the iPad. In the next few weeks, co-workers around the world will soon be able to co-edit files simultaneously from an even wider array of devices.

Only cloud computing is able to deliver the whole package of productivity-enhancing collaboration, superior reliability and virtually unlimited scale at a price that's affordable for any size organization. Our Atmosphere event is a nice opportunity to step back and fully appreciate the power of the cloud with customers and future customers alike.
Google Docs compatibility on the iPad is essentially limited to viewing-only at the present time, so the new editing capabilities should bring a significant boost to the utility of the service for iPad users.

In other Google news, the company today updated its Google Earth application [App Store] for iOS devices, bringing native support for the iPhone 4's Retina display and both ocean surface and underwater content.

Article Link: Google Docs Editing on iPad Coming Soon, Google Earth for iOS Updated

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
This is excellent news! Seems the iPad just keeps getting more and more productive (as opposed to just consuming my time) all the time!

jhiner

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Awesome. When I finally buy a 2ng generation iPad, it will be even more productive.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
there's already a way to edit certain docs, such as basic Excel spreadsheets, in Safari. Nothing fully functional though.

Funny enough, it is possible to edit your google docs with the Java version of Opera - whereas you can't even display the Docs websites with Opera for the iPhone.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
This is an amazing upgrade, if it works well. I can see just using google docs for almost all my word processing tasks. I could either start a document on my iPad or my Mac, and switch to either one for editing. So much easier than using Pages and having to sync your doc back and forth with a physical usb cord.

I hope this spurs Apple on to integrating mobileme more into the iPad iWork apps, so you could seamlessly save and access your mobileme documents from within your iPad apps and your Mac apps.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
The Google Docs Word Processor needs some serious work, it's very primitive. I think most people would be better off with iWork, although it would be nice if it would sync to Google Docs.

KiDo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I wonder, just installed the new google earth on my iPhone4, but i still see a nice blue squared screen when i zoom in on the ocean floor... Does this only work on specific area's or do i need to turn something on? The item "ocean" is checked on in settings...

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
Yes, finally! I have been anxiously awaiting this since the first day I bought my iPad. I was getting tired of using kludgy 3rd party apps (Quick Office, Docs to Go, Office2 HD, etc.) to sync with Google Docs.

Until Apple offers free cloud syncing with iWork + a way to edit iWork documents on my work PC (I'm not holding my breath), Google Docs is the best way to go for my needs. Very excited to be able to edit Google Docs from the iPad.

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
meerrhh

Not a fan of Google Docs. It's like it's still in beta mode... Formatting issues all over the place...

blomma

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Thank you jebus, between google docs and the new dropbox api i will be all set when it comes to cloud editing. All that is missing now is for apple to sort out file handling on the iPad also, but im sure we will se something interesting there come iOS 4.3.

emeraldringer

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Great news. I use Google Docs 90% of the time at home, open office for the rest of the time. I made the switch a few of years ago and never looked back.

Thalesian

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Hugz!!!!~~~:)

It's great to see other companies catching up to Apple. I already use Gdocs on the iPad using HD2Office - but this would be a major, major jump in the utility of google docs.:D

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I do find it funny. If Apple and Google hadn't had a fall out, you would all be happy about this....but because Steve doesnt like them, you think you dont....its very funny to watch :rolleyes:

----------

Not a fan of Google Docs. It's like it's still in beta mode... Formatting issues all over the place...

Been using it since day one, very heavily and have never experienced a single formatting issue. Works great on Safari, Chrome & Firefox and always has.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
If Apple don't get Mobileme free and sorted swiftly, Google will grab the good stuff. Another piece of evidence to suggest that Apple is really not an agile tech producer.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
If Apple don't get Mobileme free and sorted swiftly, Google will grab the good stuff. Another piece of evidence to suggest that Apple is really not an agile tech producer.

While Apple is relatively superb at seeing the future and getting there ahead of competition, it has been slow in the past at cleaning up all the details in its wake. I suspect that the huge building nearing completion on the east coast may address the issue you brought up. If so, then Apple has a paradigm-shifting solution in mind and may only seem slow at the moment.

Whatever Apple does will be designed to tie their users tighter to Apple with a superior user experience while making Apple more money.

Now, while speaking of "not an agile tech producer," where is Microsoft in all this?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was at my daughter's middle school just last week to hear from teachers. Turns out many of them require students to do papers on Google Docs.

This eliminates many of the typical 7th grade problems like
1) "it's all finished but I forgot to bring it. Dog aet homework,...
2) When two kids work on group project, techer can ow see who made most of the edits
3) now file format compatibilty problems
4) if student lacks access they have enough computers in classrooms and library

The biggest thing teachers notice is the kids no longer forget or loose asignmants. Teachers also say they can work at home and comments and red-line student asignments and the students see the comments and grades in real time. Zero cost to the school.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I wonder how they're doing it?

Did they implement a rich text editor in Objective C?

Mobile Safari doesn't support any of the current "editable content" style editors like CKEditor, Google Docs, etc. And there aren't any other browser based alternative rich text containers.

What we need is a good UIRichTextView control for the iPad so that all applications (Evernote, I'm looking at you!) can let you edit rich text easily.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

This... I have used it but man it is tough. I hope google does a few updates. I would love it if you could save over the air and have it sync back and forth over the air! That would be sweet. Don't know if I would go back to it just for that........but it would be tempting. I too would also like to see a openoffice app and heck give us MS Office!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.