Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I'm a bit fuzzy on what will and will not work on the new Apple TV before the iOS 4.2 update comes. As far as I understand, straight out of the box it'll be able to stream music and video from my Mac (through iTunes). But will it be able to, a) stream music directly from my iPhone, or b) use my iPhone as a Remote for controlling what is streamed from my Mac?

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
I'm a bit fuzzy on what will and will not work on the new Apple TV before the iOS 4.2 update comes. As far as I understand, straight out of the box it'll be able to stream music and video from my Mac (through iTunes). But will it be able to, a) stream music directly from my iPhone, or b) use my iPhone as a Remote for controlling what is streamed from my Mac?

I'm not positive on this, but I expect that you will not be able to stream from an iPhone until later. You should be able to use the new Apple TV as an Airplay speaker to receive music from the Mac while using the iPhone as a remote. This functionality has been in the old Apple TV for quite some time.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Once you get the 4.2 update on your iPhone then yes you will be able to stream music directly from your iPhone to your new Apple TV without having a Mac on.

This is only for the new Apple TV though because it works with Airplay. The old one won't be able to stream from your iPhone or any other iOS device.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
For your second question yes you can control what's being streamed from your Mac to the new Apple TV using your iPhone. And you can already do this with the current Apple TV. Just download Apple's free Remote App from the App store.

It's a pretty nifty little program. Not only does it control Apple TV but it also controls iTunes on your Mac.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
For your second question yes you can control what's being streamed from your Mac to the new Apple TV using your iPhone. And you can already do this with the current Apple TV. Just download Apple's free Remote App from the App store.

It's a pretty nifty little program. Not only does it control Apple TV but it also controls iTunes on your Mac.

Nifty app indeed.

Too bad it hasn't been updated since 2009. There are a number of things it's falling behind in, including iPad/iP4 resolution support, iTunes 10's new ability to control Airtunes speaker volumes independently, etc.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Im pretty sure you will be able to use airplay on the old apple TV considering that it already has the feature to do airtunes (that has now been replaced with airplay) Currently I can stream from my computer and use the appletv as speakers (plus use the airport express outside connected to outdoor speakers at the same time)

In answer to your question you will be able to utilize airplay from both the ipad and iphone running 4.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.