Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
The Denison unit seems good enough, but I don't like the dock....bulky.

I'd prefer the solution Monster has come up with, that is, just a cable to connect to the iPod...no dock.

I wonder what the prices are like for the Denison ice>Link is. $200 for the Monster solution seems pretty steep.

DanTheMan

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Peyote said:
The Denison unit seems good enough, but I don't like the dock....bulky.

I'd prefer the solution Monster has come up with, that is, just a cable to connect to the iPod...no dock.

I wonder what the prices are like for the Denison ice>Link is. $200 for the Monster solution seems pretty steep.

You can get the Denision unit without the dock too, just the cable. Same price either way though.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
DanTheMan said:
You can get the Denision unit without the dock too, just the cable. Same price either way though.

Did a search, but couldn't find any sites in the U.S. selling it....know where one could get it?

DanTheMan

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Peyote said:
Did a search, but couldn't find any sites in the U.S. selling it....know where one could get it?

I checked and I think the only place that sells it is Dension USA (http://www.densionusa.com). I called them because I am also looking to get this solution for my car and they said it would not be shipping until February 2005 and it will cost about $219

Also of note with the Dension solution if you get a new car down the road and want to move it to the new car, it will only work if the new car is the same make as your current car (i.e. Honda to Honda not Honda to BMW) which sucks because they should just make it so you can just swap cable connecting the ICE Link to the car's headunit. Oh well I guess I'll see what the iCruze has to offer when it comes out.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
DanTheMan said:
Also of note with the Dension solution if you get a new car down the road and want to move it to the new car, it will only work if the new car is the same make as your current car (i.e. Honda to Honda not Honda to BMW) which sucks because they should just make it so you can just swap cable connecting the ICE Link to the car's headunit. Oh well I guess I'll see what the iCruze has to offer when it comes out.

This is not true. the ICE works with several after-market brands like Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, etc. If you had one of these in your car, and got a new one, you would merely have to move the radio to the new car.

DanTheMan

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
parrothead said:
This is not true. the ICE works with several after-market brands like Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, etc. If you had one of these in your car, and got a new one, you would merely have to move the radio to the new car.

True, but the problem I have is then my steering wheel controls would not work unless I go out and spend another $200 on a solution for that too, plus the cost of an aftermarket stereo. Gets really expensive really quick.

It probably is a little more complicated than just swapping out the cable, I bet the controller unit on the ICE-Link is programmed specifically for the car's factory head unit. Maybe the Monster one will be a little more flexible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.