PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme + Airport Express vs Netgear WNHDE111 HD Access Point/Bridge

amcoffin
Sep 20, 2010, 07:07 PM
I posted this in the peripherals forum but perhaps it's more appropriate here.

Here's my set-up:

I have a new dual-band (latest model) Airport Extreme connected to my cable modem. From it I run wired connections to my desktop PC and to a Netgear WNHDE111 HD Access Point. The other end of the Netgear WNHDE111 HD kit, the WNHDE111 Bridge (they came as a set), is downstairs in my home theater cabinet. The bridge is connected to a Netgear 4-port switch, which in turn runs ethernet connections to my Xbox 360, Sony Blu-ray player, and DirecTV DVR.

The Airport Extreme is a new addition to the set-up. It replaced an ailing Netgear draft-N router. The whole thing works ok...I can generally stream HD content ok (Netflix or VOD), but the connection occasionally drops (and is fixed with a power cycle) or lags. In addition to that, I'm having some issues with Windows Media Center on my Xbox which I think are somehow related to the wireless configuration.

So I started to think that an Airport Express connected to my 4-port switch, bridged directly to the Airport Extreme, may be a simpler, more effective way of doing things. (To be clear, I would be replacing the pair of WNHDE111s with the Airport Express.)

Any thoughts on this, or similar experiences/configurations? What would I be gaining or losing by making this switch? It's all wireless-N, so I'm really just looking for a more reliable and stable connection than I have now.

Here's a link to the Netgear kit for reference:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNHDEB...5023295&sr=1-2

Any advice is much appreciated.

Andrew