PDA

View Full Version : So i was stupid and tried installing 4.2 on my non registered ipad =(

tac22
Sep 20, 2010, 09:28 PM
I usually get lucky with these things and seeing some people had some lucky in this other thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11097306&posted=1#post11097306
I decided i would run with it, i love the ipad but all the new features were going to be staring me in the face for the next two months. i guess it was a bad choice.

so the software is on there but only connect to itunes graphic comes up, and itunes tells me i need to register my device... ( i know i got myself into this predicament)

So um what are my options here i don't see any option in itunes to restore to the current software. if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be nice.

other option is someone registers my UDID (which i don't know what it is, and idk if its only accesible when the ipad has working software) and i feel like this would be asking to much after my stupidity.

If people want to help that would be nice, if you would like to extort my stupidity, that is okay just don't be to mean, i do have feeling ;)

Night Spring
Sep 20, 2010, 09:33 PM
Did you try option-click restore?

Oh, and if you don't have the firmware, you can get it from here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

tac22
Sep 20, 2010, 09:37 PM
Did you try option-click restore?

thanks for replying, and that would seem like the only way but there is no restore, or anything, no options at all i can select it. it will tell me i need to register the device in order to activate it, and the only other option is ejecting it. :(

nixiemaiden
Sep 20, 2010, 09:39 PM
What if you put the iPad in recovery mode before connecting to iTunes?

Night Spring
Sep 20, 2010, 09:39 PM
thanks for replying, and that would seem like the only way but there is no restore, or anything, no options at all i can select it. it will tell me i need to register the device in order to activate it, and the only other option is ejecting it. :(

Google iPhone dfu. Follow instructions to get into dfu mode. Works same for all idevices.

Torresangel88
Sep 20, 2010, 09:43 PM
Google iPhone dfu. Follow instructions to get into dfu mode. Works same for all idevices.

yea put it in dfu mode and then you should be able to restore:):apple:

tac22
Sep 20, 2010, 09:43 PM
okay i'll try that right now thanks =)

tac22
Sep 20, 2010, 09:48 PM
Okay thanks, i put it in dfu/recovery mode and its restoring now

Now i'll be a good boy and wait till novermber for my 4.2 applei goodness:D

thanks again everyone :)

Torresangel88
Sep 20, 2010, 09:53 PM
your welcome now next time just wait for the final release so you wont have to worry about this ever again. just 2 months away i think you could wait.:):):apple::apple::D

ssdeg7
Sep 20, 2010, 09:54 PM
Funny, DFU mode always works to fix things when something goes wrong.

Torresangel88
Sep 20, 2010, 10:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Funny, DFU mode always works to fix things when something goes wrong.

yes it does that's what makes these things magical lol

HXGuy
Sep 20, 2010, 11:00 PM

Or you could just pay $7 on eBay and have your device registered and be up and running on 4.2. That's what I did.

Torresangel88
Sep 20, 2010, 11:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Or you could just pay $7 on eBay and have your device registered and be up and running on 4.2. That's what I did.

yea but the os is in beta so its only meant for developers and might have problems that make the iPad not work properly. :)

Built
Sep 20, 2010, 11:07 PM
It's in BETA for a reason. "Amateurs" need not apply (and that includes ME...)

Leave the testing to the "experts" next time...

chrono1081
Sep 20, 2010, 11:13 PM

Good to hear :) Others may have stated this but you don't want to use the developer builds until they are GM seeds. One build may work fine, then the next can completely break a lot of functionality. I remember this ordeal when I had iOS 4 on my iPhone which is my only phone. (I'm a developer but can't afford to have 3094802834023 iPhones so I use my own one.)

kfscoll
Sep 21, 2010, 12:40 PM

yea but the os is in beta so its only meant for developers and might have problems that make the iPad not work properly. :)
Not only that but apps that work in 3.2 might not work in 4.2. That's what happened to me...I installed 4.2 with no issues on my iPad but when the third app I launched chrashed I decided to revert back to 3.2 until the apps catch up.