Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Hey guys, I was looking to get more use out of my powerbook and youtube seemed to stick out the most. I basically found this addon by accident and boy am I glad I did. What it is, is an addon that replaces flash content(in youtube, not sure about other websites) with quicktime or if you are on a PC, windows media player. I am able to play videos up to 480p quality with absolutely no snags whatsoever. I tried it with HD videos and I am able to view them but they either play in slow motion or smooth for a second and turn laggy for a second, that's a downside to this addon-you cannot view HD videos while having the addon activated but for what it does I think its definitely worth trying out!

Here is the link to this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161869/

It's firefox only as far as I know. I compared video playback using it with and without the addon and am totally blown away by the results.

Results from a Powerbook G4, 1.0GHz, 1GB, Mac OS X(10.4.11) playing a 480p video:
-Flash: Video studdered and lagged to the point of being completly unwatchable.
-Quicktime(addon): Video played flawlessly in a very high quality and sharp too! I set it side by side to my PC (which can handle 1080p video) and played the same 480p video on each at the same time and they both played totally smooth, no snags.

Video of it in action along with comparisons with flash, and a 1080p capable PC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwe376oIsyU

Pros:
-You can watch virtually anything on youtube.

Cons:
-Except for HD videos, the addon converts the videos to quicktime at highest quality and causes lag, but this could be fixed in a later update so keep your fingers crossed.
-You have to wait about 20 seconds depending on the video for flashvideoreplacer to change the stream to quicktime. Audio may play first so its wise to go to the settings and uncheck the "play videos automatically".

Thought this would help some people out, sorry if I explained anything wrong. Tell me how it works for you guys, I am thinking about making a comparison video on youtube comparing firefox playing youtube using flash and firefox using quicktime.

Enjoy!!:apple:

Also: The reason I put it in this category was because I know many people with powerpc macs struggle with flash video and it seemed like it'd get more traffic.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
This only supports video from a few select sites, not the whole internetz, which makes it pretty poor as a replacement strategy when you could do this same exact thing with Mobile Youtube or using HTML5 for those of you with the ability to run Leopard.

Also, soliciting is not allowed on the forum. This reads far more like an advert than a "Hey guys, try this" suggestion.

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
USA
Flash is better for current 2010 models but this addon would work great for older systems that don't like flash.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Sounds like an interesting option. I'm 4,000 miles away from my Power Mac G4 and Power Book G4, but otherwise I'd give it a shot. Poor video performance on YouTube was definitely hurting my computing experience on the G4.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I can play 360p video off youtube just fine on an iBook 800 MHz with the newest Flash Player version installed.

480p plays amazingly well on the Powermac G4 Dual 800 MHz, too. Adobe still has much optimization to do for the PPC crowd, though. I do like where they’re going. They didn’t forget the PPC folks.

Johnny7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
This only supports video from a few select sites, not the whole internetz, which makes it pretty poor as a replacement strategy when you could do this same exact thing with Mobile Youtube or using HTML5 for those of you with the ability to run Leopard.

Also, soliciting is not allowed on the forum. This reads far more like an advert than a "Hey guys, try this" suggestion.

Soliciting? I had no intention and it really offends me that you'd say something like that, I like putting time and effort into my posts so that people will have a good idea of what I'm trying to say, why would I advertise a freeware addon that I didn't even create..? I was really happy with the results that I got on my powerbook so I thought I'd share with other users looking to get more out of their older macs. And as for you telling me that it only supports videos from a few sites, I already said that I did not know if it worked on other sites, read the entire post before commening. Next time I find something like this I'll just keep it to myself :|.

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Soliciting? I had no intention and it really offends me that you'd say something like that, I like putting time and effort into my posts so that people will have a good idea of what I'm trying to say, why would I advertise a freeware addon that I didn't even create..? I was really happy with the results that I got on my powerbook so I thought I'd share with other users looking to get more out of their older macs. And as for you telling me that it only supports videos from a few sites, I already said that I did not know if it worked on other sites, read the entire post before commening. Next time I find something like this I'll just keep it to myself :|.

If there was anything wrong with your original post the mods would have been all over it in minutes. I had a "whoops" the other day in a post and within 30 seconds a mod had deleted it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.