PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Camcorder For iPad?

usasalazar
Sep 21, 2010, 02:11 AM
Any suggestions for a camcorder that works natively with the iPad?

I'm not interested in having to convert video files - just looking for that unicorn of a camcorder that plugs in via the camera connect kit and transfers its video files and they magically play back on the iPad.

Success stories and brand names with model numbers welcomed.

p.s. Please don't go off on AVCHD vs. h264 and 1080i vs. 720p blah, blah - I'm just looking for the winners here. :)

bniu
Sep 21, 2010, 03:20 PM
iphone 4, works great for me.

usasalazar
Sep 21, 2010, 05:14 PM
iphone 4, works great for me.

Anything other than the obvious?

chiefroastbeef
Sep 23, 2010, 05:18 AM
I remember reading that the iPad is able play motion-jpeg movies. So perhaps a video dslr like the D5000 or D90 would be a great option. Most consumer camcorders record in avchd, I cannot confirm, but I doubt the iPad can process the raw avchd files for play back. Again this is just from what I have read.

usasalazar
Sep 23, 2010, 01:09 PM
-

usasalazar
Sep 23, 2010, 01:11 PM
iPad Supported Video Formats
H.264 video (up to 720p, 30 frames per second; main profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats)
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format .

iPad Supported Audio Formats
AAC (16 to 320 Kbps)
protected AAC (from iTunes Store)
MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR
Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4)
Apple Lossless
AIFF
WAV

Those are the facts - since over 200 people have looked at this thread and have not responded, I'm thinking no such camcorder exists - - yet.

Still, if anyone finds a working solution (other than the iPhone 4) I'm sure there are loads of people who would like to hear about it!

p.s. Those Cisco "Flip" cams don't work when directly connected to the iPad either.

Hammie
Sep 23, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure, but my Panasonic P&S shoots in either avchd or m-jpeg. Maybe their camcorders can do the same. Just a thought.

dickerd84
Sep 25, 2010, 05:03 PM
any luck on this

usasalazar
Sep 25, 2010, 05:44 PM
After lots of web research, the closest solution I've found so far is the Sanyo VPC-TH1 HD.

http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/products/vpc_th1/index.html

It comes very close but since I do not have access to one I don't know if it's a sure thing or not.

On mp4 setting, the lowest bit rate is 3 and the iPad requires 2.5

Still, it might work in h264 mode.

I wish I had access to one to give it a try.

childje
Apr 26, 2011, 01:41 PM
Any suggestions for a camcorder that works natively with the iPad?

I'm not interested in having to convert video files - just looking for that unicorn of a camcorder that plugs in via the camera connect kit and transfers its video files and they magically play back on the iPad.

I am using a Flip MinoHd with the ipad. It will import to the iPad by just plugging into the USB camera connection adapter. The Flip MinoHD also creates video in the correct format so you can use iMovie for iPad to edit the videos. Any standard MP4, MOV or other quicktime format should import using the camera connection kit adapter or itunes, if you just want to view. However if you are planning on using in iMovie to edit the format must be 720p and the audio has to be 44100 bitrate to be seen by iMovie. The Flip video camcorders UltraHD and MinoHD will import without a problem and can be seen by iMovie.

akm3
Oct 31, 2013, 05:31 PM
Just posting to see if this is still the case. The only ones I've ever heard 100% confirmed as working were Flip Mino HD (long discontinued) or an iPhone/iPod touch.

I don't know for sure that iPhone 5S video is eligible to import to an iPad or not.

Does anyone know of any other cameras that work?

bobby68
Nov 2, 2013, 11:38 AM
Wow, and old thread here...

My camcorder, Panasonic HDC-SD90, can record in iFrame format, 960x540, which works directly on an iPad. I import the video through Apples SD-card reader.