Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TherealDDX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Prague, Czech Republic
Hey guys, I have a pretty weird problem.

Since I managed to get my dad a Mac for his new computer, he still wants to run Windows, somehow. However, he's a bit disappointed of the machine - almost no peripheral works correctly because of missing drivers. There is no audio (neither speakers or headphone jack), the F keys don't work either as F-keys or as functional buttons, there is no tapping on the touchpad, no two-finger gestures and no right-click, Bluetooth doesn't work, iSight doesn't work, and probably some more stuff. I have Boot Camp 3.1 installed along with the update aimed specifically for this model of MacBook Pro (http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1043), but none of this works. There's Boot Camp running in the taskbar, but when I open the configuration pane, there's only a Keyboard tab with the F-keys checkbox, which doesn't work, either. Funny thing is that the optical audio light stops glowing in a few dozen of seconds after logging in.

bootcamp.PNG

I tried installing all sorts of versions of Boot Camp, in different combinations multiple times. I reinstalled Windows. I even went so far as completely wiping and reformatting the hard drive, installing fresh OSX and installing Windows again, but with no luck. I have no idea at all why this is happening.

The machine is a mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro with Windows 7 Professional on it. I'd appreciate any kind of help. Thank you.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Use the disc that came with the computer. Assuming it's a 2010 model MacBook Pro, the Bootcamp drivers on the Mac OS disc will be newer than those available online.

TherealDDX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Prague, Czech Republic
Have you tried running Apple Software Update in Windows to update the drivers?

Could it be you got the wrong disc with your Mac? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/680012/

Is Parallels/VMWare/Virtualbox an option? What does your dad do with his computer?

B

Yes, I've tried both Apple Software Update and installing Boot camp from the resore disc (it says 13-inch MBP and the system version is 10.6.3 so I'd guess it's the right one). Nothing has ever worked on this computer, either on 3.0, or 3.1, only in Mac OS X.

I'm still trying to convince my dad to a complete switch with occasional virtualization, he doesn't do anything Windows/specific, but he's just weird I guess.

Thanks for your advices, but it still seems like a mystery to me :(.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
How about just erasing the entire laptop, both Windows and Mac, and starting from the very beginning. Fist install Mac OS X and ensure you have the latest patches and updates and then attempt to install Windows again using Boot Camp.

This may not make sense but if I were in your shoes, I would have given this a go. :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Thanks for your advices, but it still seems like a mystery to me :(.

Forgot to ask. Is this 32 or 64 bit?

Call your local Apple support line and see if they can send you out another disc. This one does not seem compatible with your system, but all signs do say it is marked correctly.

B

TherealDDX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Prague, Czech Republic
How about just erasing the entire laptop, both Windows and Mac, and starting from the very beginning. Fist install Mac OS X and ensure you have the latest patches and updates and then attempt to install Windows again using Boot Camp.

This may not make sense but if I were in your shoes, I would have given this a go. :)

Well, I've actually done this, resulting in the same effect.

I haven't tried any other version of Windows other than 7 Pro, since I don't have any other license, but they all use the same Boot camp application, don't they? I'm not sure if using other version of Windows would make a difference.

TherealDDX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Prague, Czech Republic
Forgot to ask. Is this 32 or 64 bit?

Call your local Apple support line and see if they can send you out another disc. This one does not seem compatible with your system, but all signs do say it is marked correctly.

B

It's 32-bit.
Are the discs really so different than what's available online? I've never thought about it like that. We don't have any kind of official Apple support here in Czech Republic, but I'll try :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It's 32-bit.
Are the discs really so different than what's available online? I've never thought about it like that. We don't have any kind of official Apple support here in Czech Republic, but I'll try :)

Yes the drivers for individual machines are only available on the specific disc that goes with them, what is on the retail discs and online is not right until the machines are "older".

Also is this a US English Windows or is it Czech localized?

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

B

TherealDDX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Prague, Czech Republic
The Windows is Czech localized, and I think I now see the problem here. When I try to install individual driver packages (like the iSight Installer), an error window pops up saying that this language version is not supported by the installer... Which is weird, because i have Czech Windows 7 Pro running smoothly on my pre-unibody 15" MacBook Pro.

I see there's some progress with Apple tech support in our little country, I didn't even try to open Apple.com for the info after previous experiences ;). Maybe I'll give them a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.