PDA

View Full Version : iPad screen size and viewing distance for videos

redsoxfan626
Sep 21, 2010, 08:13 PM
Who do you agree with and why?

Person A: the iPad is only 9.7 inches is only adequate for videos when you're on a plane, bus, etc.

Person B: even when a big screen TV is available, the iPad is just as good (or maybe better), because the 9.7 inch screen is held closer to your face than the big screen TV, making the screen look even bigger.

Mr Kram
Sep 21, 2010, 08:16 PM
under normal circumstances, i would take the bigger screen all the time. with that being said, i don't watch youtube type videos on my tv ever.

Zazoh
Sep 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
B is closer. It is relative, but it is relative, try it, sit in front of your Big Screen TV and then hold up your iPad. Does it cover the TV from where you normally view it?

Having said that, it is more comfortable to watch a big screen TV and you can get more people in front of it.

kdarling
Sep 21, 2010, 09:11 PM
Ignoring virtual screen size, if we go by the "retinal" ideal of not being able to see individual pixels, a 46" 1080p HDTV has to be 8 feet away... which sounds like a normal viewing distance.

The iPad would have to be about 2.5 feet away, which is pretty far for most people to hold it. Heck, it's arm's length.

So it depends on what's more important to you, virtual size or pixel density. Or perhaps, I should say it depends on your eyesight :)