PDA

View Full Version : Using iPad SIM in iPhone 4

dvdhsu
Sep 21, 2010, 08:46 PM
Well, I've been considering getting an iPhone 4 somewhere, and only using the data.

Now, before I do that, I have one question.

Judging from most reports online, they only way to get the iPad plan is to physically activate the plan on the iPad. Do you guys know of any way to use the data plan, but not activating it on the iPad?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David

JohnDoe98
Sep 29, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well, I've been considering getting an iPhone 4 somewhere, and only using the data.

Now, before I do that, I have one question.

Judging from most reports online, they only way to get the iPad plan is to physically activate the plan on the iPad. Do you guys know of any way to use the data plan, but not activating it on the iPad?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David

What's the problem with activating? I went to a ATT store, bought an ipad sim (claiming I lost mine and had not yet activated a phone # to my ipad for 10$). I then went to the Apple store, popped in the ipad sim I bought, placing the one from the store on the table, and then activated my ipad sim. Once done, I popped the original ipad sim card back into the Apple ipad, and put the activated one in my pocket (I guess you could steal the Apple Store ipad sim card if you just activated it but that's not wise). Later I put the Ipad sim into my iphone (which happens to be an unlocked one but need not be) and proceeded to change the APN to: Broadband. Voila, all done. Ipad data only on the iPhone (changing the APN is pretty easy, you can do it yourself with the iphone configuration utility or by searching google and going to some website).

dvdhsu
Sep 29, 2010, 10:12 PM
I could do that... but the problem is I don't want to be doing anything borderline illegal.

If I started taking SIM cards out of iPads in the store, I don't want anybody thinking I'm trying to steal it or anything.