Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
California
So here's my problem.

I have a macbook pro, 2 iPad's and 3 iPhones in the house. Say someone is on the iPad and I wake up my macbook I get a "someone else is using your ip" error pop up, and than when it does connect the macbook it kicks the iPad off the internet.

Using Motorola SB6120 and Linksys WRT54GS if that helps.

Any suggestions? Thanks

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
I guess the obvious thing to do first is to see whether or not there is a conflicting IP on your devices.

If all your devices use DHCP to get an IP, the problem is a bit harder to pinpoint. If any of your devices has an IP put in manually, make sure they're all different. Your router should automatically assign different IPs that are not in use to devices that use DHCP.

If the above doesn't help you solve the problem, try assigning an IP to the iPad manually. If it already has an IP put in manually, try changing it to another within the subnet and one that is not in use.

Joshua.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I think I have the same router as you OP, and once in a while both my iPad and 3G acquire the same IP. It's usually not a problem, but when I have to SSH into one of them to change a theme, add ROMs, etc it always hangs on for a few minutes :(

try assigning an IP to the iPad manually. If it already has an IP put in manually, try changing it to another within the subnet and one that is not in use.

Joshua.

Is there something in the manual that shows how to do this? I'm pretty naive when it comes to networks...

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
I think I have the same router as you OP, and once in a while both my iPad and 3G acquire the same IP. It's usually not a problem, but when I have to SSH into one of them to change a theme, add ROMs, etc it always hangs on for a few minutes :(

Is there something in the manual that shows how to do this? I'm pretty naive when it comes to networks...

I don't own an iPad (yet) but all the rules if networking apply to it as well. I can only speak for my iPhone.

You wouldn't need to make any changes on the router. Go to your wifi connection settings on the device and select "Static" out of the three IP Address buttons. Write down what the IP should be along with the subnet and router (gateway). If you have problems resolving domains (ex. http://www.macrumors.com) then you need to put in a DNS server IP address. You could use Google's which is 8.8.8.8.

I'm afraid that's all the help I can come up with. I don't have broadband here to find manuals or screenshots and my only Internet connection is capped at 500MB a month :)

Joshua.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
I suspect this is a bug in the Linksys. I had the same model and encountered the same problem every few months. It went away after I upgraded the router to a different model.

The Linksys seemed to lose track of the leases it gave out, and eventually there would be a conflict, usually with a device that held an address for a long time, like a printer. The only solution I could find was to turn off and restart all the devices (hosts) on the net in order to get new address leases.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Try upgrading the firmware on the Linksys Router first.

I've seem the IP conflict more if the neighbor has the same router device and you never changed the defaults and they are on your network. You could possibly be on their net too. Hahaha.

Change all the router defaults.

• Linksys to yournetname
  • Turn off SSID broadcast
  • Enable encryption
  • Then make your net the first priority on the wifi list and possibly remove the others

Oh and you can assign static numbers to each connecting device but that's a little more of a pain in the toosh.

• iphone - 192.168.1.100
  • macbook - 192.168.1.101
  • imac - 192.168.1.102
  • touch - 192.168.1.103
  • printer - 192.168.1.104

You get the idea. If not, we are here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.