Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I returned a 2009 2.8GHz i7 27" iMac because of a very loud pitched "dog whistle" noise coming from the screen inverter. It was like a very high pitched electronic squeal.

Has anybody had this experience on ANY 2010 revision iMacs (27" OR 21.5")?? I'm thinking about getting one for my work computer, and I'd like to know if they got this problem worked out yet.

I did some research on the internet and there were countless reports of other people having this same problem with their loud, high-pitched "noisy screen" squeal issues.

Thanks.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
My iMac (see below for details) has NO whistling sounds. Only slight noise from its fans. But compared to our HP Laptop (which sounds like a wind turbine machine), my new iMac is near "dead" silence...

Also... I noticed a pattern in previous posts.... re: If an iMac has a yellow tint, it often has a dog whistle sound as well. Especially when one turns up its display brightness. When my iMac's display is at 100%, there's no whistle sound.

Hope this helps in your research...

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Again, this was a 2009 model 2.8GHz i7 Quad-Core model, I'm just wondering if ANY of the 2010s still exhibit the issue...it's a very high-pitched electronic-type whine coming from the top back of the display unit, affected when you change the screen brightness.

gmanhem

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2010
Again, this was a 2009 model 2.8GHz i7 Quad-Core model, I'm just wondering if ANY of the 2010s still exhibit the issue...it's a very high-pitched electronic-type whine coming from the top back of the display unit, affected when you change the screen brightness.

I have had two 2010 27" 2.93GHz i7 iMacs, currently waiting for a 3rd replacement. Both has had a slight yellow tint at the bottom but the other issues are my reasons for requesting a replacement.

First one had the the high-pitched electronic-type whine. The pitch is noticeable on all levels of brightness except full brightness.

Second one had the problems with PSU buzzing at lower levels of brightness.

Both machines were built in the last two weeks in Cork in Irland.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have very sensitive ears and I could hear the sound even at full brightness. The sound was only un-noticeable if I turned the brightness below 20%, then the display was too dim to use.

MR.Raul

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Sweden
Most have this issue, got 3 replacements of the 27" high end with the same problem and a few other problems as well.
After 3, they didn't wanna send me any more machines.
Apple is not quality, and they don't care.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I use a 2005 model 23" Cinema Display HD at home and it runs completely silent. I decided to buy the new (2009) 27" iMac, brought it home, booted it up, and after 10 minutes it was running extremely hot and emitting this high pitched noise that sounded like an electronic whine similar to that from an old CRT television, but very high pitched and very loud. The sound changed frequency as I adjusted the screen brightness, it was loudest from 30 - 80% brightness but still audible at full brightness, and only gone below 20% brightness. I've never had a computer display make this kind of noise. I returned the unit to the Apple Store immediately the following day and requested a full refund, which they gave me. I then did some research on the Internet about this and found that other users (BOTH 21.5" AND 27") iMac owners had experienced this noisy "dog-whistle" screen issue....this was back earlier this year before the new 2010 units were introduced...So, I'm wondering if any of the 2010 models exhibit the same issue, or if Apple has addressed this and fixed this issue for good with the new units. I wanted to buy a new iMac for my work computer to use in my office (I use a Mac Pro at home now), but I didn't want to buy one of these new 2010 units if they were still having the "Noisy Screen" issue. Again, my ears pick up on this noise very easily, it is very loud and very annoying. I get a headache from the noise in little to no time, and I couldn't bear working with an iMac having noise issues like this.

gmanhem

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2010
3rd replacement, 2010 iMac i7, finally with a screen without yellowing or power supply buzz or dog whistle. Just a spec of dust under the glass, nothing that I cant fix myself.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.