Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y

mike07905

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
My understanding and the actual wording, is that you can use them as long as the video is not sold as a commercial product. So you can't set up as a company selling google earth videos...
Ours were done by me... they and the website are the result of what happens when a mac fanboy decides to offer tours to Afghanistan!

Also, if anyone wants any tips on how to do it, then I am happy to advise...

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Did you do the screen capture using QT screen recording?

Looks really good. Not only technically, but it flows well.

"Lots of mountains" :D

mike07905

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Yep, but google earth and screen capture running together makes the capture really jerky, so we had to make the google earth really slow, and then speed it up by about 1200% in Imovie to get relatively smooth motion back! it is still a little jerky, but just about works.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
OK. My experience with QT screen capture was that it was only getting 10 - 15 fps. Camtasia or Screenflow would speed that up, but I don't have $100 lying around for it.

Once again, looks great.

FroColin

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Nice work! Seriously, as an earlier comment said they flowed really well, I only have one suggestion, please please please use different music. The built in apple jingles have been used in everything. Find some royalty free music online. Otherwise some really impressive work.

mike07905

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
HaHa, yes... the jingles are a little repetitive. We had limited time, and learning as we went along, but have been introduced to some different ones if we do any more...

mike07905

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Just thought I would share,
I have written a tutorial on how to make the videos for the Google Earth Blog. It's probably pretty obvious to most, but some of you might find it interesting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.