Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Just wanted to warn everyone of the subpar quality of sgp screen protectors. I have had the iPad clear screen protector and iPhone 4 oleophobic and both were extremely susceptible to scratches compared with the power support protectors I have used. I expect some light scratching but the sgp protectors get deep scratches within a couple of days. I am very careful when cleaning the screen and always have my phone in my pocket and my iPad in a case. I blow dust off before wiping and wipe the screen lightly to avoid scratches and my screen is still covered with them. I know that is what screen protectors are for but the sgp protectors scratch far too easily. I'm only buying power support from now on.

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2010
Just wanted to warn everyone of the subpar quality of sgp screen protectors. I have had the iPad clear screen protector and iPhone 4 oleophobic and both were extremely susceptible to scratches compared with the power support protectors I have used. I expect some light scratching but the sgp protectors get deep scratches within a couple of days. I am very careful when cleaning the screen and always have my phone in my pocket and my iPad in a case. I blow dust off before wiping and wipe the screen lightly to avoid scratches and my screen is still covered with them. I know that is what screen protectors are for but the sgp protectors scratch far too easily. I'm only buying power support from now on.

You feel better now? :D

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
yankintx said:
You feel better now? :D

Not really. I'm having a bad day and sgp pisses me off with their horrible customer service. On top of that my directv went out for the third time this month and my cable modem is acting up. Just one of those days.

coosk8er55

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
i have direct tv too.. its amazing but when it goes out or gives you problems.. its hell.. and i have ATT dsl .. it SUCKS.. it goes out every 20 min.. its really crap :mad: .. oh yea.. powersupport rules!

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
Everyone's results vary. Some people get bad scratches on their protectors after light use (which is odd) and others are just fine after a few weeks of use. I used the Oleophobic for a month and there were no bad scratches, just a couple minor, hard-to-see ones. The only reason I stopped using it was because I wanted to try out their Ultra Fine protector and I've preferred that ever since.

The customer service is the same way, some have good experiences, others don't (although the latter seems to be true for most). I've been getting regular responses from them but the only issue I have is that it's one response a day (but at least it's better than no communication at all).

treeoflife

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Everyone's results vary. Some people get bad scratches on their protectors after light use (which is odd) and others are just fine after a few weeks of use. I used the Oleophobic for a month and there were no bad scratches, just a couple minor, hard-to-see ones. The only reason I stopped using it was because I wanted to try out their Ultra Fine protector and I've preferred that ever since.

The customer service is the same way, some have good experiences, others don't (although the latter seems to be true for most). I've been getting regular responses from them but the only issue I have is that it's one response a day (but at least it's better than no communication at all).

I have to agree with you maverick86. I'm using the steinheil ultra crystal film and it's working fine with me. I've had that for about 2 months now, and it's still a great product.

LOL on the "one response a day"

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I had a horrible experience with sgp's customer service that took a month to resolve and required filing a complaint with amazon.

When you wipe the sgp protectors clean with the microfiber cloth they provide the protector gets scratched. I never had that problem with power support. It's too bad power support is charging a ridiculous amount of money for their protectors. I have 3 large deep scratches on my sgp that are easily visible while the screen is on and that is after I babied it.

Absolem

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Whaatt, are you kidding me?

I LOVE THIS SCREEN PROTECTOR! IT is absolutely so beautiful!

I put scratches all in my ZAGG which is like rubber(over 2 months)
and even though ive only used the oleophobic for a week, its in the same conditions as the zagg (work) and this screen is still flawless after a week. I don't understand what the heck you are doing to it.

perplex

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
prev zagg user to now SGP oleophobic, and I must disagree with the OP.

SGP/oleo is the best screen protector i have ever used. clear, durable, and feels great w/ no bubbles. maybe yours was defective/factory deviant? dunno

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
im' not very happpy with my Ole either. It doesnt help at all with my fingerprints. I have to say, i'm very disappointed in that area. Otherwise though, the screen protector itself seems tough. No scratches yet after a week and fit seems to be well. I just expected more on the anti oil front.....

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
prev zagg user to now SGP oleophobic, and I must disagree with the OP.

SGP/oleo is the best screen protector i have ever used. clear, durable, and feels great w/ no bubbles. maybe yours was defective/factory deviant? dunno

Well that's cuz Zagg is complete garbage, SGP is better than Zagg, but it's not better than PS.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
PowerSupport is THE best screen protector for the iPhone. They've been doing it since day one and they continue to improve on it. I tried the SGP shields before and even I can tell they're cheaper/less of quality than the powersupport.

PowerSupport's crystal set resists fingerprints better than SGP's oleophobics! LOL

Power Support is made in Japan. SGP Steinheil is made in China.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
On top of that my directv went out for the third time this month
Using the original Dish I guess? Install a larger Dish (WaveFrontier T90 for Example), high-quality LNBs (Inverto or Alps) and proper wiring, and this doesn't happen again.

Same here, everytime it started to rain I've had no reception (Well, I receive Astra 1+2 and Hotbird), after I installed Inverto Black Premium LNBs on my 120cm Dish, the world could go down, I receive TV.

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
I've had the same SGP Oleophobic on for a couple of months and it still looks new with no scratches.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
This does happen. However it's supposed to happen don't you think? Screen protector is there to protect your screen. Of course it's going to scratch at some point. I got a few on mine within a day or so. Is it garbage? Hardly. It does it's job. Doesn't bubble. Barely even looks like it's there.

However. No excuse for bad customer service.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
No scratches on my SGP oleophobic. No bubbles. No hint of it even coming off the phone.
Sucks for fingerprints though.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
I've had my OLE on for a pretty long time now. The complaint I have is if you get ANY TYPE OF OILS on the screen forget it...it just smudges everywhere and you need to use some radtech omnicleanz/iklear to get it nice and clean again.

I have not experienced any type of scratches yet. I still have a back up OLE if that happens. Clarity is awesome but glare is horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.