Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zebi_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2004
Ok - everyone expects a NEW PB in January. Mac news sites suggest a Freescale processor with otherwise minor updates . However Apple does seem to surprise people with releases from time to time. What do you all think they will update the PB with?

What my feelings for a new PB in january would be-

G5
Nvidia MXM 6800
Dual Layer DVD writer
Improved screen
Faster wireless along with a new airport.
A different housing/ material.

Or do you think that they will freescale it?

I hope they do make a decent upgrade as I've been waiting for a bloody G5 Powerbook for a year!!

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
zebi_ said:
Ok - everyone expects a NEW PB in January. Mac news sites suggest a Freescale processor with otherwise minor updates . However Apple does seem to surprise people with releases from time to time. What do you all think they will update the PB with?

G5
Nvidia MXM 6800
Dual Layer DVD writer
Improved screen

I hope they do make a decent upgrade as I've been waiting for a bloody G5 Powerbook for a year!!

Sorry not gonna happen.

p.s. Apple has never surprised me for as long as I have been following them, they pretty much release exactly what the rumors say, or something less exciting. . .

zebi_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2004
It'd be a real shame if they didnt. Its long overdue =( :confused:

In the meantime i've actually bought a centrino to see me through till I see a good upgrade on the PB.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
Apple is going to release a new powerbook in Jan..... WITH A TOUCH SENSATIVE KEYBOARD! THE WHOLE KEYBOARD WILL BE TOUCH SENSATIVE! O NOOOES!!!

RATT- BOTTTOM LINE! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

JRM

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
There will be a G5 PB at MWSF

There will be a G5 under the hood of the PB's at MWSF because although people talk of heat and power issues Apple has had 2 years to move the G5 into a PB case. The iMac was the first signal of this, they were at 2 inches 6 months ago and with smaller drives and what not, apple would be back to the 1 - 1.2 inch mark. Apple isn't going to let their coveted PB line languish behind consumer lines such as the iMac and by sounds of things eMac's. Because regardless of whether in real terms the PB's G4 may be faster than the iMac G5 it's still not a great marketing ploy having the consumer iMac and possibly entry level eMac with a chip a 'G' ahead of the professional laptop. Anyway it would seem that MWSF has an uncanny knack of releasing PB's with new processors, so hopefully this can aid the chances.

On the issues of power consumption and heat over the past 2 years since the G5 PM was released we have heard rumblings of new types of batteries and new heat minimisation components on a regular basis, all Apple would have needed to do is follow some of these new technologies, develop them and then we will see a G5 PB at MWSF. I still myself hold doubts as to whether we will see a G5 PB because may be the problems that have been outline may come to fruition, but i feel that the time is right and against most peoples thoughts that the technology is right as well.

I however doubt whether we will see 6800m GPU's in PB's anytime soon, those things are huge, have you seen the size of the Alienware 7700 which has it? Though it could eventuate because if they some how make it DLL you'd be able to plug atleast the 15" and 17" into the 30" display, (though i don;t know how many people that will affect)

MY PREDICTIONS FOR MWSF are a follows

PowerMac's

Dual 3GHZ - 1GIG DDR2 - 250 GIG - 6800GT 256mb - $3199
Dual 2.5 GHZ - 1GIG DDR2 -160 GIG - X800XT 256mb - $2599
Dual 2.0 GHZ - 512mb DDR2 - 160GIG - 6600 128mb - $2099
Single 2 GHZ - 512mb DDR2 - 80GIG - 6600 128mb - $1599

All with Dual Layer DVD-R's - All Duals with Liquid Cooling

PowerBook G5
NEW CASE
13" Widescreen - 1.8GHZ G5 - 512mb DDR2 - 80GIG - X600
SD $1899 - Combo $1699

15" & 17" Widescreen - 2.0 GHZ G5 - 1GB DDR2 - 100GIG - 6600m
15 "Only SD $2499 - 17" $2799

As you can see I believe it will be a Power MWSF, which is about time because everything seems to be iPod lately.

Some may say hopeful, others crazy, but i think this is the line up Apple needs if it is going to capitalize on the success of the iPod, and capture a little more than 1.9% of the computer market.

:)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
JRM said:
There will be a G5 under the hood of the PB's at MWSF because although people talk of heat and power issues Apple has had 2 years to move the G5 into a PB case. The iMac was the first signal of this, they were at 2 inches 6 months ago and with smaller drives and what not, apple would be back to the 1 - 1.2 inch mark. Apple isn't going to let their coveted PB line languish behind consumer lines such as the iMac and by sounds of things eMac's. Because regardless of whether in real terms the PB's G4 may be faster than the iMac G5 it's still not a great marketing ploy having the consumer iMac and possibly entry level eMac with a chip a 'G' ahead of the professional laptop. Anyway it would seem that MWSF has an uncanny knack of releasing PB's with new processors, so hopefully this can aid the chances.

On the issues of power consumption and heat over the past 2 years since the G5 PM was released we have heard rumblings of new types of batteries and new heat minimisation components on a regular basis, all Apple would have needed to do is follow some of these new technologies, develop them and then we will see a G5 PB at MWSF. I still myself hold doubts as to whether we will see a G5 PB because may be the problems that have been outline may come to fruition, but i feel that the time is right and against most peoples thoughts that the technology is right as well.

I however doubt whether we will see 6800m GPU's in PB's anytime soon, those things are huge, have you seen the size of the Alienware 7700 which has it? Though it could eventuate because if they some how make it DLL you'd be able to plug atleast the 15" and 17" into the 30" display, (though i don;t know how many people that will affect)

PowerMac's

PowerBook G5
NEW CASE
SD $1899 - Combo $1699

As you can see I believe it will be a Power MWSF, which is about time because everything seems to be iPod lately.

Some may say hopeful, others crazy, but i think this is the line up Apple needs if it is going to capitalize on the success of the iPod, and capture a little more than 1.9% of the computer market.

:)
I see one little problem with that lineup - the graphics cards in the top two PowerMac models don't make a whole lot of sense. I thought ATI's X800XT was more powerful than nVidia's GeForce 6800GT. Obviously, both cards will be DDL. Other than that, everything else looks reasonable. I highly doubt that Apple will release such a line-up, though.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
JRM said:

PowerMac's

PowerBook G5
NEW CASE
SD $1899 - Combo $1699

I don't know about a 13" Powerbook. I also don't believe a G5 Powerbook would be quite ready - at least not at a CPU speed to be worthwhile.

I suspect that Powerbooks will get faster Freescale processors early next year (if not at MWSF). They could be dual core.

I also believe that the 3GHz Dual G5 will happen...but maybe not as early as MWSF. And we might see dual core processors in the Powermac in the first half of 2005.

And I would love to see the minimum memory on the Apple systems go up as 256MB is not very usable for many people.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
I'm crossing my figers for a powerbook G5. If they don't release one at MWSF, i'll have to get a PC laptop. I've been without a laptop for six months, and i don't want to go another semester without one.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
JRM said:

PowerMac's

Why would the Dual 2.0Ghz need liquid cooling if it doesn't have it right now? And what happened to the 5200 GFX card? :D :rolleyes: Otherwise that would be a nice line up. I'm hoping for some decent Powerbook update myself as I miss the portablity of a laptop ever since I got my G5. I got a PC laptop but..... :rolleyes: (but really, it doesn't suffice for what I do).

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Laslo Panaflex said:
Sorry not gonna happen.

p.s. Apple has never surprised me for as long as I have been following them, they pretty much release exactly what the rumors say, or something less exciting. . .

No one predicted the 12'' and 17'' PowerBooks until the day of the show, and even then it seemed virtually impossible to believe until they were announced.

Disclaimer: This doesn't mean I expect a G5 PowerBook in January.. Unless it's some revved up G4 that they call a G5.

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
Lets hope the next Power Mac G5 update gets rid of the pathetic NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 and the aging ATI RADEON 9600 XT. Although both are better than the graphics cards in my machines, they just should not be in such a new high end machine.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
zebi_ said:

G5
Nvidia MXM 6800
Dual Layer DVD writer
Improved screen

Your either out of your mind or have been visiting another planet the last couple months :D

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Sure Jobs could announce a G5 Powerbook at MWSF. Of course it won't ship for 9 months, but hey you can order it! :D

How long did it take to get those surprise 17" PB into customer's hands? 3 months? And even if by some remote chance G5PBs were announced, I'm not a huge fan of Apple's revA material.

Sure would be nice if Steve could come through on his promise of 3Ghz G5s even if it is already 6 months late...

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
mactastic said:
Sure Jobs could announce a G5 Powerbook at MWSF. Of course it won't ship for 9 months, but hey you can order it! :D

How long did it take to get those surprise 17" PB into customer's hands? 3 months? And even if by some remote chance G5PBs were announced, I'm not a huge fan of Apple's revA material.

Sure would be nice if Steve could come through on his promise of 3Ghz G5s even if it is already 6 months late...
Agreed :D

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
mactastic said:

I couldn't put it any better myself. Seriously, maybe I was just spoiled by the Apple WOW factor in my first 2 years of using a mac, but they have consistantly let me down lately, in particular the whole 6800 vid card fiasco, how can you release a product with INSUFFICIENT drivers. The drivers are all on Apples end, maybe if they weren't spending all their time dreaming up the next iPod . . .

/end rant

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Laslo Panaflex said:
I couldn't put it any better myself. Seriously, maybe I was just spoiled by the Apple WOW factor in my first 2 years of using a mac, but they have consistantly let me down lately, in particular the whole 6800 vid card fiasco, how can you release a product with INSUFFICIENT drivers. The drivers are all on Apples end, maybe if they weren't spending all their time dreaming up the next iPod . . .

/end rant
Hahahaha the ipod thing you said cracked me up haha :D

pdp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2004
zebi_ said:
redundance to infinity...

they are going to unveil something very special from what ive been reading.
a new super-superdrives. i know you're doing a double take but it's true. super-superdrives. how awesome is that?! also comes with complimentary happy meal

you've seen willy wonka and the chocolat facotry? you've heard about the never-ending gobstopper? best of both world's on this new feature. a gobstopper thta truely is never-ending! behind the apple logo on the top there is a small compartment that dispenses the sweet treat. there is a catch though, it will only dispense if you're currently working with an ifilm application.
dont dispair though, there are a few teams workign on a hack for this based off the tiger leak.

and this last part almost seems to be taken right out of a fairy tale. once tiger boots up, the voice recognition will prompt you to ask it a question. looking into the isignt, you'll ask "isight isight on my screen, who is the fairest of them all?" to which your monitor will reply "you are, dear prince/princess"
how gratifying is that?!

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
pdp said:
they are going to unveil something very special from what ive been reading.
a new super-superdrives. i know you're doing a double take but it's true. super-superdrives. how awesome is that?! also comes with complimentary happy meal

you've seen willy wonka and the chocolat facotry? you've heard about the never-ending gobstopper? best of both world's on this new feature. a gobstopper thta truely is never-ending! behind the apple logo on the top there is a small compartment that dispenses the sweet treat. there is a catch though, it will only dispense if you're currently working with an ifilm application.
dont dispair though, there are a few teams workign on a hack for this based off the tiger leak.

and this last part almost seems to be taken right out of a fairy tale. once tiger boots up, the voice recognition will prompt you to ask it a question. looking into the isignt, you'll ask "isight isight on my screen, who is the fairest of them all?" to which your monitor will reply "you are, dear prince/princess"
how gratifying is that?!
Haha Unbelievable!!!! wow i cant wait

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Some of these specs thrown out by some of you will be released......in late 2005.

Until then, you may or may not get a 12" or 13" widescreen PB like the ones made by Dell and Sony, respectively (something I'm lusting...), a Freescale made G4 for each model (1.5 and 1.7GHz G4 for 15" and 17" PB, 1.5GHz G4 for 12" model), and an option for a better video card for the 12". Since the 15" and 17" have this option, it wouldn't be too difficult for Apple to extend that to the 12". :)

Giving 12" PB users the ability to swap out both sticks of RAM would be an amazing treat already!! :eek:

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
As the PMG5 has a dual chip setup expect the PowerBook G4 to have a dual core chip in it.

That is why the long wait since Steve jobs, wants the PowerBook the only notebook that is 1" thick which will have a dual core chip in it.

That seems to be the only marketing buzz it can make for the PowerBook other than put a G5 however AMD already beat them to it with they 64-bit chips so there is no real wow factor other than a dual core PowerBook that is 1" thick.

Why do you feel the wait is so long for a PowerBook for another speed bump or a speed bump along with a dual core setup, and now Apple can truly say that all they Power lineup has 2 chips may it be a virtual second processor or a G4/G5.

G5 is no way ready unless the low powered G5 chips are already sent to Apple for a quick miracle. :)

Steve Jobs will say well there is no point of having a G5 in a PowerBook since a dual core G4 will do the work much faster and have some slide showing this plus the advantages of SMP along with battery power and so on.

Why do you think "Tiger" is SMP aware along with all the dual chip and dual core importance.

My guess dual core G4 that is it so it fits inline with the PMG5 dual setup. :)

Support for 4Gigs of ram would be sweet I would max it out no quesion about it.

Dual Core 2Ghz G4 17" PowerBook with 4Gigs or ram expandable.

PBG5 will be seen at MWSF 2006. :)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
m a y a said:
G5 is no way ready unless the low powered G5 chips are already sent to Apple for a quick miracle. :)

Well, it is Christmas afterall. And what could be better than a G5 Christmas miracle? Reminds me of the story where the elves make the shoes at night... some G5 elves come and save christmas by figuring out the engineering problems with the powerbooks.

I guess I'd really rather have a dual-core chip, though. In any case, I hope that they release a new PB soon... my VAIO is 2 years old and its going out on me... I need a new laptop, Steve!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.