PDA

View Full Version : MWSF 2005 Powerbook

zebi_
Dec 21, 2004, 05:39 PM
Ok - everyone expects a NEW PB in January. Mac news sites suggest a Freescale processor with otherwise minor updates . However Apple does seem to surprise people with releases from time to time. What do you all think they will update the PB with?

What my feelings for a new PB in january would be-

G5
Nvidia MXM 6800
Dual Layer DVD writer
Improved screen
Faster wireless along with a new airport.
A different housing/ material.

Or do you think that they will freescale it?

I hope they do make a decent upgrade as I've been waiting for a bloody G5 Powerbook for a year!!

Laslo Panaflex
Dec 21, 2004, 06:01 PM
Ok - everyone expects a NEW PB in January. Mac news sites suggest a Freescale processor with otherwise minor updates . However Apple does seem to surprise people with releases from time to time. What do you all think they will update the PB with?

G5
Nvidia MXM 6800
Dual Layer DVD writer
Improved screen

I hope they do make a decent upgrade as I've been waiting for a bloody G5 Powerbook for a year!!

Sorry not gonna happen.

p.s. Apple has never surprised me for as long as I have been following them, they pretty much release exactly what the rumors say, or something less exciting. . .

Darwin
Dec 21, 2004, 06:12 PM

Thats my guess, I see them putting in those chips before giving the PowerBooks G5s

zebi_
Dec 22, 2004, 10:43 AM
It'd be a real shame if they didnt. Its long overdue =( :confused:

In the meantime i've actually bought a centrino to see me through till I see a good upgrade on the PB.

CubaTBird
Dec 22, 2004, 04:36 PM
Apple is going to release a new powerbook in Jan..... WITH A TOUCH SENSATIVE KEYBOARD! THE WHOLE KEYBOARD WILL BE TOUCH SENSATIVE! O NOOOES!!!

RATT- BOTTTOM LINE! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

JRM
Dec 22, 2004, 05:25 PM
There will be a G5 under the hood of the PB's at MWSF because although people talk of heat and power issues Apple has had 2 years to move the G5 into a PB case. The iMac was the first signal of this, they were at 2 inches 6 months ago and with smaller drives and what not, apple would be back to the 1 - 1.2 inch mark. Apple isn't going to let their coveted PB line languish behind consumer lines such as the iMac and by sounds of things eMac's. Because regardless of whether in real terms the PB's G4 may be faster than the iMac G5 it's still not a great marketing ploy having the consumer iMac and possibly entry level eMac with a chip a 'G' ahead of the professional laptop. Anyway it would seem that MWSF has an uncanny knack of releasing PB's with new processors, so hopefully this can aid the chances.

On the issues of power consumption and heat over the past 2 years since the G5 PM was released we have heard rumblings of new types of batteries and new heat minimisation components on a regular basis, all Apple would have needed to do is follow some of these new technologies, develop them and then we will see a G5 PB at MWSF. I still myself hold doubts as to whether we will see a G5 PB because may be the problems that have been outline may come to fruition, but i feel that the time is right and against most peoples thoughts that the technology is right as well.

I however doubt whether we will see 6800m GPU's in PB's anytime soon, those things are huge, have you seen the size of the Alienware 7700 which has it? Though it could eventuate because if they some how make it DLL you'd be able to plug atleast the 15" and 17" into the 30" display, (though i don;t know how many people that will affect)

MY PREDICTIONS FOR MWSF are a follows

PowerMac's

Dual 3GHZ - 1GIG DDR2 - 250 GIG - 6800GT 256mb - $3199
Dual 2.5 GHZ - 1GIG DDR2 -160 GIG - X800XT 256mb - $2599
Dual 2.0 GHZ - 512mb DDR2 - 160GIG - 6600 128mb - $2099
Single 2 GHZ - 512mb DDR2 - 80GIG - 6600 128mb - $1599

All with Dual Layer DVD-R's - All Duals with Liquid Cooling

PowerBook G5
NEW CASE
13" Widescreen - 1.8GHZ G5 - 512mb DDR2 - 80GIG - X600
SD $1899 - Combo $1699

15" & 17" Widescreen - 2.0 GHZ G5 - 1GB DDR2 - 100GIG - 6600m
15 "Only SD $2499 - 17" $2799

As you can see I believe it will be a Power MWSF, which is about time because everything seems to be iPod lately.

Some may say hopeful, others crazy, but i think this is the line up Apple needs if it is going to capitalize on the success of the iPod, and capture a little more than 1.9% of the computer market.

:)

wrldwzrd89
Dec 22, 2004, 05:36 PM
There will be a G5 under the hood of the PB's at MWSF because although people talk of heat and power issues Apple has had 2 years to move the G5 into a PB case. The iMac was the first signal of this, they were at 2 inches 6 months ago and with smaller drives and what not, apple would be back to the 1 - 1.2 inch mark. Apple isn't going to let their coveted PB line languish behind consumer lines such as the iMac and by sounds of things eMac's. Because regardless of whether in real terms the PB's G4 may be faster than the iMac G5 it's still not a great marketing ploy having the consumer iMac and possibly entry level eMac with a chip a 'G' ahead of the professional laptop. Anyway it would seem that MWSF has an uncanny knack of releasing PB's with new processors, so hopefully this can aid the chances.

On the issues of power consumption and heat over the past 2 years since the G5 PM was released we have heard rumblings of new types of batteries and new heat minimisation components on a regular basis, all Apple would have needed to do is follow some of these new technologies, develop them and then we will see a G5 PB at MWSF. I still myself hold doubts as to whether we will see a G5 PB because may be the problems that have been outline may come to fruition, but i feel that the time is right and against most peoples thoughts that the technology is right as well.

I however doubt whether we will see 6800m GPU's in PB's anytime soon, those things are huge, have you seen the size of the Alienware 7700 which has it? Though it could eventuate because if they some how make it DLL you'd be able to plug atleast the 15" and 17" into the 30" display, (though i don;t know how many people that will affect)

PowerMac's

PowerBook G5
NEW CASE
SD $1899 - Combo $1699

As you can see I believe it will be a Power MWSF, which is about time because everything seems to be iPod lately.

Some may say hopeful, others crazy, but i think this is the line up Apple needs if it is going to capitalize on the success of the iPod, and capture a little more than 1.9% of the computer market.

I see one little problem with that lineup - the graphics cards in the top two PowerMac models don't make a whole lot of sense. I thought ATI's X800XT was more powerful than nVidia's GeForce 6800GT. Obviously, both cards will be DDL. Other than that, everything else looks reasonable. I highly doubt that Apple will release such a line-up, though.

Bear
Dec 22, 2004, 05:47 PM

PowerMac's

PowerBook G5
NEW CASE
SD $1899 - Combo $1699

...I don't know about a 13" Powerbook. I also don't believe a G5 Powerbook would be quite ready - at least not at a CPU speed to be worthwhile.

I suspect that Powerbooks will get faster Freescale processors early next year (if not at MWSF). They could be dual core.

I also believe that the 3GHz Dual G5 will happen...but maybe not as early as MWSF. And we might see dual core processors in the Powermac in the first half of 2005.

And I would love to see the minimum memory on the Apple systems go up as 256MB is not very usable for many people.

Converted2Truth
Dec 22, 2004, 05:52 PM
I'm crossing my figers for a powerbook G5. If they don't release one at MWSF, i'll have to get a PC laptop. I've been without a laptop for six months, and i don't want to go another semester without one.

tech4all
Dec 22, 2004, 05:52 PM

PowerMac's

Why would the Dual 2.0Ghz need liquid cooling if it doesn't have it right now? And what happened to the 5200 GFX card? :D :rolleyes: Otherwise that would be a nice line up. I'm hoping for some decent Powerbook update myself as I miss the portablity of a laptop ever since I got my G5. I got a PC laptop but..... :rolleyes: (but really, it doesn't suffice for what I do).

Chaszmyr
Dec 22, 2004, 05:58 PM
Sorry not gonna happen.

p.s. Apple has never surprised me for as long as I have been following them, they pretty much release exactly what the rumors say, or something less exciting. . .

No one predicted the 12'' and 17'' PowerBooks until the day of the show, and even then it seemed virtually impossible to believe until they were announced.

Disclaimer: This doesn't mean I expect a G5 PowerBook in January.. Unless it's some revved up G4 that they call a G5.

carlos700
Dec 22, 2004, 06:10 PM
Lets hope the next Power Mac G5 update gets rid of the pathetic NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 and the aging ATI RADEON 9600 XT. Although both are better than the graphics cards in my machines, they just should not be in such a new high end machine.

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 22, 2004, 06:19 PM

G5
Nvidia MXM 6800
Dual Layer DVD writer
Improved screen

I hope they do make a decent upgrade as I've been waiting for a bloody G5 Powerbook for a year!!Your either out of your mind or have been visiting another planet the last couple months :D

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 22, 2004, 06:23 PM
Heres my prediction.... Liquid Cooled powerbook g5 ;) :rolleyes:

aussie_geek
Dec 22, 2004, 06:26 PM
Ok -

G5

G5 :rolleyes:

mactastic
Dec 22, 2004, 07:46 PM
Sure Jobs could announce a G5 Powerbook at MWSF. Of course it won't ship for 9 months, but hey you can order it! :D

How long did it take to get those surprise 17" PB into customer's hands? 3 months? And even if by some remote chance G5PBs were announced, I'm not a huge fan of Apple's revA material.

Sure would be nice if Steve could come through on his promise of 3Ghz G5s even if it is already 6 months late...

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 22, 2004, 07:51 PM
Sure Jobs could announce a G5 Powerbook at MWSF. Of course it won't ship for 9 months, but hey you can order it! :D

How long did it take to get those surprise 17" PB into customer's hands? 3 months? And even if by some remote chance G5PBs were announced, I'm not a huge fan of Apple's revA material.

Sure would be nice if Steve could come through on his promise of 3Ghz G5s even if it is already 6 months late...Agreed :D

Laslo Panaflex
Dec 22, 2004, 07:59 PM

Sure would be nice if Steve could come through on his promise of 3Ghz G5s even if it is already 6 months late...

I couldn't put it any better myself. Seriously, maybe I was just spoiled by the Apple WOW factor in my first 2 years of using a mac, but they have consistantly let me down lately, in particular the whole 6800 vid card fiasco, how can you release a product with INSUFFICIENT drivers. The drivers are all on Apples end, maybe if they weren't spending all their time dreaming up the next iPod . . .

/end rant

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 22, 2004, 08:53 PM
I couldn't put it any better myself. Seriously, maybe I was just spoiled by the Apple WOW factor in my first 2 years of using a mac, but they have consistantly let me down lately, in particular the whole 6800 vid card fiasco, how can you release a product with INSUFFICIENT drivers. The drivers are all on Apples end, maybe if they weren't spending all their time dreaming up the next iPod . . .

/end rantHahahaha the ipod thing you said cracked me up haha :D

pdp
Dec 22, 2004, 09:24 PM
redundance to infinity...

they are going to unveil something very special from what ive been reading.
a new super-superdrives. i know you're doing a double take but it's true. super-superdrives. how awesome is that?! also comes with complimentary happy meal

you've seen willy wonka and the chocolat facotry? you've heard about the never-ending gobstopper? best of both world's on this new feature. a gobstopper thta truely is never-ending! behind the apple logo on the top there is a small compartment that dispenses the sweet treat. there is a catch though, it will only dispense if you're currently working with an ifilm application.
dont dispair though, there are a few teams workign on a hack for this based off the tiger leak.

and this last part almost seems to be taken right out of a fairy tale. once tiger boots up, the voice recognition will prompt you to ask it a question. looking into the isignt, you'll ask "isight isight on my screen, who is the fairest of them all?" to which your monitor will reply "you are, dear prince/princess"
how gratifying is that?!

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 22, 2004, 10:01 PM
they are going to unveil something very special from what ive been reading.
a new super-superdrives. i know you're doing a double take but it's true. super-superdrives. how awesome is that?! also comes with complimentary happy meal

you've seen willy wonka and the chocolat facotry? you've heard about the never-ending gobstopper? best of both world's on this new feature. a gobstopper thta truely is never-ending! behind the apple logo on the top there is a small compartment that dispenses the sweet treat. there is a catch though, it will only dispense if you're currently working with an ifilm application.
dont dispair though, there are a few teams workign on a hack for this based off the tiger leak.

and this last part almost seems to be taken right out of a fairy tale. once tiger boots up, the voice recognition will prompt you to ask it a question. looking into the isignt, you'll ask "isight isight on my screen, who is the fairest of them all?" to which your monitor will reply "you are, dear prince/princess"
how gratifying is that?!Haha Unbelievable!!!! wow i cant wait

CubaTBird
Dec 22, 2004, 10:33 PM
three words: touch-sensative-keyboard

im tellin ya guys, thats it, thats the key ;)

Abstract
Dec 23, 2004, 12:11 AM
Some of these specs thrown out by some of you will be released......in late 2005.

Until then, you may or may not get a 12" or 13" widescreen PB like the ones made by Dell and Sony, respectively (something I'm lusting...), a Freescale made G4 for each model (1.5 and 1.7GHz G4 for 15" and 17" PB, 1.5GHz G4 for 12" model), and an option for a better video card for the 12". Since the 15" and 17" have this option, it wouldn't be too difficult for Apple to extend that to the 12". :)

Giving 12" PB users the ability to swap out both sticks of RAM would be an amazing treat already!! :eek:

maya
Dec 23, 2004, 12:12 AM
As the PMG5 has a dual chip setup expect the PowerBook G4 to have a dual core chip in it.

That is why the long wait since Steve jobs, wants the PowerBook the only notebook that is 1" thick which will have a dual core chip in it.

That seems to be the only marketing buzz it can make for the PowerBook other than put a G5 however AMD already beat them to it with they 64-bit chips so there is no real wow factor other than a dual core PowerBook that is 1" thick.

Why do you feel the wait is so long for a PowerBook for another speed bump or a speed bump along with a dual core setup, and now Apple can truly say that all they Power lineup has 2 chips may it be a virtual second processor or a G4/G5.

G5 is no way ready unless the low powered G5 chips are already sent to Apple for a quick miracle. :)

Steve Jobs will say well there is no point of having a G5 in a PowerBook since a dual core G4 will do the work much faster and have some slide showing this plus the advantages of SMP along with battery power and so on.

Why do you think "Tiger" is SMP aware along with all the dual chip and dual core importance.

My guess dual core G4 that is it so it fits inline with the PMG5 dual setup. :)

Support for 4Gigs of ram would be sweet I would max it out no quesion about it.

Dual Core 2Ghz G4 17" PowerBook with 4Gigs or ram expandable.

PBG5 will be seen at MWSF 2006. :)

jdechko
Dec 23, 2004, 08:34 AM
G5 is no way ready unless the low powered G5 chips are already sent to Apple for a quick miracle. :)

Well, it is Christmas afterall. And what could be better than a G5 Christmas miracle? Reminds me of the story where the elves make the shoes at night... some G5 elves come and save christmas by figuring out the engineering problems with the powerbooks.

I guess I'd really rather have a dual-core chip, though. In any case, I hope that they release a new PB soon... my VAIO is 2 years old and its going out on me... I need a new laptop, Steve!

wrldwzrd89
Dec 23, 2004, 08:38 AM
Well, it is Christmas afterall. And what could be better than a G5 Christmas miracle? Reminds me of the story where the elves make the shoes at night... some G5 elves come and save christmas by figuring out the engineering problems with the powerbooks.

I guess I'd really rather have a dual-core chip, though. In any case, I hope that they release a new PB soon... my VAIO is 2 years old and its going out on me... I need a new laptop, Steve!
I say this - no matter what Apple does, we'll be in for a pleasant surprise. I'm expecting Apple to bypass the single core G5s completely in the PowerBooks, going from G4 (current) to dual core G4 to dual core G5 in one year (two update cycles).

maya
Dec 23, 2004, 02:49 PM
I say this - no matter what Apple does, we'll be in for a pleasant surprise. I'm expecting Apple to bypass the single core G5s completely in the PowerBooks, going from G4 (current) to dual core G4 to dual core G5 in one year (two update cycles).

Considering they want to more the Power line to dual setup would not surprise me. And those new low power G5 chips and the promise of a dual core G5 so you might be right from a dual core G4 to a dual core G5.

That is what the buzz will be all about Steve Jobs will state that since we want to have more power and chips speed is moving slow in advancement we have a dual PMG5 and now I introduce to your the dual core G4 PB the only one of its kind in the work.

The consumer lines will stay with single processors even when the G5 makes its way into a portable. By that time the dual core G4 will make its way into the iBook and the PB will have dual core G5 chips seems as a good prediction. :)

efoto
Dec 24, 2004, 08:44 AM
As the PMG5 has a dual chip setup expect the PowerBook G4 to have a dual core chip in it.

That is why the long wait since Steve jobs, wants the PowerBook the only notebook that is 1" thick which will have a dual core chip in it.

That seems to be the only marketing buzz it can make for the PowerBook other than put a G5 however AMD already beat them to it with they 64-bit chips so there is no real wow factor other than a dual core PowerBook that is 1" thick.

Why do you feel the wait is so long for a PowerBook for another speed bump or a speed bump along with a dual core setup, and now Apple can truly say that all they Power lineup has 2 chips may it be a virtual second processor or a G4/G5.

Steve Jobs will say well there is no point of having a G5 in a PowerBook since a dual core G4 will do the work much faster and have some slide showing this plus the advantages of SMP along with battery power and so on.

Why do you think "Tiger" is SMP aware along with all the dual chip and dual core importance.

My guess dual core G4 that is it so it fits inline with the PMG5 dual setup. :)

Support for 4Gigs of ram would be sweet I would max it out no quesion about it.

Dual Core 2Ghz G4 17" PowerBook with 4Gigs or ram expandable.

PBG5 will be seen at MWSF 2006. :)

I think we are much more likely to see a dual-core G4 than any form of a G5. I do not believe Apple wants to create a Dell-XPS-thin (haha, sooooo thin) notebook for its lineup. The PBooks have always looked great, industry leaders in thinness and overall appearance. If they can get to 1.5" or less with a G5 somehow, they might justify the increased thickness for speed, but who knows.

I bet dcG4 with a different v.card for the 12" at least (get rid of that 5200 already!), more ram support, more stock ram (256 is utterly worthless to most everyone) and perhaps both slots on 12" are user replaceable....COME ON APPLE! that should have been done ages ago. A 12" with 2Gb would rock, you know it would.

dcG4
9700m for 12, 9800m for 15/17
512 standard ram, user upgradable both slots in 12
updated screens, higher res to compete with pc stuff (plus just better)
same casing, similar appearance
perhaps new s.drives, but I could personally care less about that because they will still be slower than an external dual-layer +/-.

Either way, it is Xmas eve here, so Merry Xmas Eve to everyone! (if you are into that sort of thing ;) )

wrldwzrd89
Dec 24, 2004, 08:47 AM
I think we are much more likely to see a dual-core G4 than any form of a G5. I do not believe Apple wants to create a Dell-XPS-thin (haha, sooooo thin) notebook for its lineup. The PBooks have always looked great, industry leaders in thinness and overall appearance. If they can get to 1.5" or less with a G5 somehow, they might justify the increased thickness for speed, but who knows.

I bet dcG4 with a different v.card for the 12" at least (get rid of that 5200 already!), more ram support, more stock ram (256 is utterly worthless to most everyone) and perhaps both slots on 12" are user replaceable....COME ON APPLE! that should have been done ages ago. A 12" with 2Gb would rock, you know it would.

dcG4
9700m for 12, 9800m for 15/17
512 standard ram, user upgradable both slots in 12
updated screens, higher res to compete with pc stuff (plus just better)
same casing, similar appearance
perhaps new s.drives, but I could personally care less about that because they will still be slower than an external dual-layer +/-.

Either way, it is Xmas eve here, so Merry Xmas Eve to everyone! (if you are into that sort of thing ;) )
I doubt that Apple will change the screen resolution up or down unless the display size also changes for one simple reason: Apple likes to have the native resolution for their displays at a 100 pixels to 1 inch ratio because that ratio is best for design, one of Apple's target markets. The other changes I agree wholeheartedly with.

BornAgainMac
Dec 24, 2004, 09:17 AM
The current G5 is a desktop chip. Please don't put that in the PB. The battery, heat, thickness, fans, noise will make the PB look like a Dell. Better performance would be to just upgrade the memory on the current PB lineup.

Or just use Remote Desktop and log into your G5 remotely from your PB.

efoto
Dec 24, 2004, 10:32 AM
The current G5 is a desktop chip. Please don't put that in the PB. The battery, heat, thickness, fans, noise will make the PB look like a Dell. Better performance would be to just upgrade the memory on the current PB lineup.

Or just use Remote Desktop and log into your G5 remotely from your PB.

Exactly! Look at all the pc laptops that stuck a desktop P4 in there, they were horrible! Sure they could compute like the dickens but the battery life is horrid and the heat was enough to cut your gasbill at home in half :P

I think until there is a G5-m or comparible solution with a lowpower approach, it is better for the masses that they stay away from the mobile lineup. Dual-core G4 from what I hear would be faster in many cases anyway...right?

BornAgainMac
Dec 24, 2004, 12:59 PM
Also I think the main reason to have a G5 is for people that do video encoding or edit large video projects. But it still is much slower than a desktop G5. The internal drive is only 80 GB and you would only have a single G5 for encoding. My Powermac G5 has 2 CPUs for video encoding and plenty of fans to keep the thing cool so it can run for weeks to encode hundreds of hours if I wanted (with external drives). Also I have a separate internal 250 GB drive dedicated for DV video and much more expansion to increase the memory to 8 GB for products like Motion that could benefit.

The dual-core G4 or a mobile G5 will probably be in the next Powerbook so long as the battery life doesn't take a hit.

maya
Dec 24, 2004, 01:07 PM
Also I think the main reason to have a G5 is for people that do video encoding or edit large video projects. But it still is much slower than a desktop G5. The internal drive is only 80 GB and you would only have a single G5 for encoding. My Powermac G5 has 2 CPUs for video encoding and plenty of fans to keep the thing cool so it can run for weeks to encode hundreds of hours if I wanted (with external drives). Also I have a separate internal 250 GB drive dedicated for DV video and much more expansion to increase the memory to 8 GB for products like Motion that could benefit.

The dual-core G4 or a mobile G5 will probably be in the next Powerbook so long as the battery life doesn't take a hit.

A dual core G4 running at 1.8-2.0Ghz should surpass the SPG5. I only wish that the PowerBook supported more than 2GB of ram right now if the iBook did not have a welded on 256MB of ram and only one slot open it would take a nice 2GB in total. If iBooks get revised they might stick a 512MB welded on for a total of 1.5Gb of ram. YEAH. :)

I also don't believe they are going to upgrade the resolution on the 12" PB since its shared the same lcd panel as the iBook 12". The more components the Apple lines share the lower the cost to buy and train staff.

though a wide screen for the iBooks and PowerBooks in the small form factor would be welcomed. :)

Daveway
Dec 24, 2004, 05:09 PM
Do yall forget that the G4, dual core or not, has a terribly slow front side bus. Even Steve himself has said that the FSB is sometimes more important than clock speed.

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 24, 2004, 05:50 PM
How about they just give them 128 standard video cards and speed bump the processors along with a faster bus and make the current PB run cooler and im talking ice cold :D Now thatd be nice ;)

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 24, 2004, 05:54 PM
Do yall forget that the G4, dual core or not, has a terribly slow front side bus. Even Steve himself has said that the FSB is sometimes more important than clock speed.Slow compared to what? You cannot compare Apples to Oranges pardon the pun. Apples G4 has lower numbers but not lower performance this has been a common misconception for a long time. An 800mhz g4 was being compared to a 2.4p4 i believe it was and they were neck and neck not to mention hyper threading is a different technology not to be compared to the g4's velocity engine. Its like comparing a ferrari to a lamborgini and say both cars have 450 horsepower but the lamborgini uses a v12 motor to get that power and the ferrari uses a v8. Two different ways to get a lot of horsepower and both have their ups and downs. The v12 has more displacement meaning it doesnt have to work as hard to make that power but the ferrari uses a smaller engine and makes the same power meaning its much more efficient in its design.

maya
Dec 24, 2004, 06:15 PM
Slow compared to what? You cannot compare Apples to Oranges pardon the pun. Apples G4 has lower numbers but not lower performance this has been a common misconception for a long time. An 800mhz g4 was being compared to a 2.4p4 i believe it was and they were neck and neck not to mention hyper threading is a different technology not to be compared to the g4's velocity engine. Its like comparing a ferrari to a lamborgini and say both cars have 450 horsepower but the lamborgini uses a v12 motor to get that power and the ferrari uses a v8. Two different ways to get a lot of horsepower and both have their ups and downs. The v12 has more displacement meaning it doesnt have to work as hard to make that power but the ferrari uses a smaller engine and makes the same power meaning its much more efficient in its design.

A fine point indeed. :)

crees!
Dec 24, 2004, 07:00 PM
I'm crossing my figers for a powerbook G5. If they don't release one at MWSF, i'll have to get a PC laptop. I've been without a laptop for six months, and i don't want to go another semester without one.

Oh, I see. No G5 laptop absolutely forces you to get a PC laptop instead. Sorry, but that sounds like a greedy crock of s***. Wait till MWSF and see if they update the line. Whatever Apple does get what they currently offer and don't torture yourself any longer. Coming from a voice of reason.

Mord
Dec 24, 2004, 07:04 PM
i think there will be g5's or apple will use dual core g4's, the upgrade market has been swamped with 7447A's which means either motorola has upped production or apple has stopped buying them

Logik
Dec 24, 2004, 07:27 PM
i didn't think the dual core G4 chips were supposed to go into production until 3rd quarter next year... :-/ that would be close to around the time of WWDC

EDIT: here's where i got that from... http://www.eetuk.com/tech/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47903043

which was in the original post about the dual core confirmation by freescale.

efoto
Dec 24, 2004, 09:16 PM
I also don't believe they are going to upgrade the resolution on the 12" PB since its shared the same lcd panel as the iBook 12". The more components the Apple lines share the lower the cost to buy and train staff.

though a wide screen for the iBooks and PowerBooks in the small form factor would be welcomed. :)

I was under the impression that although they shared the same resolution that the screens on the two *Book 12 inchers were different. Are they the same?

maya
Dec 24, 2004, 10:23 PM
I was under the impression that although they shared the same resolution that the screens on the two *Book 12 inchers were different. Are they the same?

The panels on both the 12" *Books are the same not difference, other than maybe the casing being a little thinner on the 12" PowerBook other than that the PANEL is the same. This is how Apple cuts cost by spreading it amount the lines same goes with the 17" PowerBook and iMac G5 17" models. :)

If the PowerBook gets a 13" LCD panel expect the iBook to follow and obtain the same for cost reasons. :)

pdp
Dec 25, 2004, 05:09 AM
Sorry, but that sounds like a greedy crock of s***. Wait till MWSF and see if they update the line.

really, heaven forbid he spends his money in a manner in which he desires. greedy crock of s#1t indeed :rolleyes:

zebi_
Dec 28, 2004, 11:13 AM

It'll give me 9 months to sell my centrino!

A friend of mine read this post as said I was getting myself wound up :eek: It feels like the quiet before a storm..........

drsuse
Dec 28, 2004, 11:36 AM
i'm thinking i'll buy a 15" in january (if there's any kind of update at MWSF), just because if the massive redesign comes at WWDC, shipping delays might result in me not having a computer when i leave for university. i figure there's always something better around the corner, but coming from editing with fcp 3 on a 600mhz g3, even the current powerbooks are more than fast enough for me. i'll be in a journalism program where they'll have serious hardware for video and audio editing anyways, hopefully macs, not sure.

if there's just a g4 speed bump, then maybe prices will drop, too, meaning i can spend a bit more on ram.

good plan?

drsuse
Dec 28, 2004, 11:41 AM
i think there will be g5's or apple will use dual core g4's, the upgrade market has been swamped with 7447A's which means either motorola has upped production or apple has stopped buying them

you do know that the 7447B exists now? http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/rel_qual_info/MC7447ARQI.pdf

up to 1.67ghz

afields
Dec 28, 2004, 11:51 AM
they pretty much release exactly what the rumors say, or something less exciting. . .

:(

LeeTom
Dec 28, 2004, 12:02 PM
Lee Tom's 15" Powerbook Prediction:
(too lazy to predict them all)

-1.7 or 1.8GHz single-core G4, by Freescale.
-Slightly faster chip by ATI, 9700 or 9800.
-80GB Hard Drive
-same screen
-same case
-same wireless
-no liquid cooling
-all will have backlit keyboards
-single layer Superdrive, probably same speed

BUT, it will be several hundred dollars cheaper, reaching the $1,999 mark, at least for Education purchases.
There may be ONE surprise, such as a digital audio out, a sound card with a higher sampling rate, the availablity of 7200RPM hard drives in BTO, or 5400rpm drives being the new standard minimum speed.

Lee Tom

Logik
Dec 28, 2004, 12:03 PM
:(

this is where i agree.. i wish they'd do a total redesign or get dual core G4's but it's not likely. My link above about the dual core chips coming sometime late summer '05 is what ruins the dual core for everyone, and the G5 is just too hot and too power hungry. I expect another speed bump and maybe a G5 powerbook announcement later next year... maybe WWDC but.. who knows... it wouldn't surprise me if it was at MWSF in 2006 they announce with shipping right away... That's my guess.. but. I've been wrong before.. just using some common sense...

Dreadnought
Dec 28, 2004, 03:14 PM
I predict liquid cooling! Apple was interested in this technique last year, and this wasn't the kind that is now in the PM. The technique was from a different company and was based on some sort of thick (silicone??) fluid. It could be used in laptops to, or at least they where working on it. This was more then a year ago, so, it should be ready by now!!

edit: found the article
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62206

SiliconAddict
Dec 28, 2004, 03:24 PM
There will be a G5 under the hood of the PB's at MWSF because although people talk of heat and power issues Apple has had 2 years to move the G5 into a PB case.

HA. Think again. Lets assume for a second that a G5 can go into a PowerBook it sure has heck will NOT be a 2GHz chip. At most probably a 1.6-1.8Ghz.

Originally I too was hopeful for a late X-Mas gift in January with the announcement of a G5 PowerBook however since looking at an iMac Iím highly doubtful. Have you felt the back of one of those new iMacs? They get pretty toasty and that is with a fan, a pretty damn big heat sink, and a lot of room to play with. I think the G5 is still running too hot to slap in the PowerBook and if Apple somehow does fit one into say the 17Ē it would be thicker then 1Ē and probably get around 2 hours of battery life. What is frustrating as hell is the fact that Apple doesnít have a mobile solution right now or at the very least nothing comparable to the Pentium M. For those who think there will be a Freescale CPU anytime soon keep on dreaming. Its probably as likely as a G5 PowerBook. I personally think, god this kills me, Apple is going to do simple price cuts in January and might announce something at WWDC to be delivered in 3rd quarter. In that time frame AMD and Intel are going to eat the G4 alive in terms of price vs. performance. Itís the same crap that happened with the G4 Desktop before its transition over to the G5. Apple has hung themselves by not looking long-term when it comes to development. The should have been working with IBM on SOMETHING; anything for the PowerBook line while they were working on the G5, and if that meant a revamped G3 then so be it. I think January is going to be a very sad month for those who are interested in a laptop. :(

Logik
Dec 28, 2004, 03:50 PM
HA. Think again. Lets assume for a second that a G5 can go into a PowerBook it sure has heck will NOT be a 2GHz chip. At most probably a 1.6-1.8Ghz.

Originally I too was hopeful for a late X-Mas gift in January with the announcement of a G5 PowerBook however since looking at an iMac Iím highly doubtful. Have you felt the back of one of those new iMacs? They get pretty toasty and that is with a fan, a pretty damn big heat sink, and a lot of room to play with. I think the G5 is still running too hot to slap in the PowerBook and if Apple somehow does fit one into say the 17Ē it would be thicker then 1Ē and probably get around 2 hours of battery life. What is frustrating as hell is the fact that Apple doesnít have a mobile solution right now or at the very least nothing comparable to the Pentium M. For those who think there will be a Freescale CPU anytime soon keep on dreaming. Its probably as likely as a G5 PowerBook. I personally think, god this kills me, Apple is going to do simple price cuts in January and might announce something at WWDC to be delivered in 3rd quarter. In that time frame AMD and Intel are going to eat the G4 alive in terms of price vs. performance. Itís the same crap that happened with the G4 Desktop before its transition over to the G5. Apple has hung themselves by not looking long-term when it comes to development. The should have been working with IBM on SOMETHING; anything for the PowerBook line while they were working on the G5, and if that meant a revamped G3 then so be it. I think January is going to be a very sad month for those who are interested in a laptop. :(

me and you sir outta get along great. I agree completely.

You won't see a G5 announcement until AT THE EARLIEST WWDC '05, and you won't be seeing dual core G4 chips until about the same time. Now, in all likelihood you won't see the dual core G4 if they can fit the G5 in the powerbook.. BUT.. you might get the dual core chips in the iBook line... otherwise, the iBook will get the old PB G4 chips, and the PB will get the dual core chips for WWDC. We might not get anything more than dual core chips in the PB until the next POWER processor by IBM comes out based on the POWER 6. They might design the (we'll tentatively call it the G6) G6 (based on the POWER 6) with power and heat in mind moreso than they did with the POWER 5 (what the G5 was derived from). So you might NEVER see a G5 in a powerbook, instead they might totally skip from Dual Core G4's to a mobile G6... we'll see what happens. these are obviously just my guessings. But I am not seeing the G5 in the pb anytime soon... it could be announced at WWDC after IBM completes a major redesign of the chip for mobile machines.. but wouldn't ship until 3rd quarter some time. As currently the G5 is way too big, wayy to hot and wayyy to power hungry.. even clocking it down is just not enough.

maya
Dec 28, 2004, 05:01 PM
In January 2005, Apple will lay to rest the PowerBook G4 and introduce the all new and sexy PowerBook G-String. ;) :) :: worn by Steve Jobs:: ;) :)

I had to crack a joke this is waaay to funny not to miss the opportunity. :)

This topic has been beaten to death. :)

Steve does the G-String monty and looses the turtle neck on stage. :D

pigwin32
Dec 29, 2004, 07:01 PM
Do yall forget that the G4, dual core or not, has a terribly slow front side bus. Even Steve himself has said that the FSB is sometimes more important than clock speed.
This is dross, yes the FSB is important, but the freescale dual-core G4 has a completely different bus architecture. Freescale announced three processors, the MPC7448 pin-compatible replacement for the MPC7447A (this one still has the slow fsb issue but is a drop-in replacement and could well surface at MWSF), the single core MPC8641 and the dual-core MPC8641D. To quote EETimes (http://www.eetuk.com/tech/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47903043), Like the PowerQuicc, the 8641 (in both single and dual versions) turns the MPX bus into a fully internal bus for faster access between core processor and peripherals.
Personally I would love to see a MPC8641D dual-core G4 PowerBook at MWSF, sadly the EETimes article suggest the chips will sample in the second half of 2005.

Logik
Dec 30, 2004, 01:13 AM
This is dross, yes the FSB is important, but the freescale dual-core G4 has a completely different bus architecture. Freescale announced three processors, the MPC7448 pin-compatible replacement for the MPC7447A (this one still has the slow fsb issue but is a drop-in replacement and could well surface at MWSF), the single core MPC8641 and the dual-core MPC8641D. To quote EETimes (http://www.eetuk.com/tech/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47903043),
Personally I would love to see a MPC8641D dual-core G4 PowerBook at MWSF, sadly the EETimes article suggest the chips will sample in the second half of 2005.

exactly what i was saying.. the Dual-core chips won't be in this revision unless some miracle happened.. i actually linked to that very article in this thread, no one seemed to have given my thought a response or a second thought though... no G5 because it simply isn't ready for such a small portable.. and the dual cores are out due to not being ready for at least another 6 months... just a speed increase really is all we'll get... ah well.. just means my purchase in May was a good choice.. :-P

darkwing
Dec 30, 2004, 01:29 AM
In January 2005, Apple will lay to rest the PowerBook G4 and introduce the all new and sexy PowerBook G-String. ;) :) :: worn by Steve Jobs:: ;) :)

I had to crack a joke this is waaay to funny not to miss the opportunity. :)

This topic has been beaten to death. :)

Steve does the G-String monty and looses the turtle neck on stage. :D

You've just robbed me of any last shred of hope I held for MWSF. And also life. :(

Steve

pigwin32
Dec 30, 2004, 02:24 AM
You've just robbed me of any last shred of hope I held for MWSF. And also life. :(

Steve
I know what you mean, man breasts and a thong, eeewww.