Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanamy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
Hi all. I'm new to the forums. I thought I'd drop in and ask for your opinions with your macs. I recently purchased a PB and I am going on a trip soon, so I was wondering which options I should go with to save energy while watching DVDs on plane (it'll be sort of long flight from San Diego to Chicago) such as dimmed screen without shutting down hd or display? Longest Battery Power or how should I tweak it? I'm bringing extra battery in case. I wish you all happy holidays. :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
There isn't much you can do when it comes to watching a movie. Basically I would turn it to Longest Battery life and turn the screen as low as you can while it still being comfortable for you to watch. Make sure you turn of Bluetooth and Airport. You will probably be able to squeeze in one normal length movie in that trip.

jon

dduchene

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
Most Airplanes have 15v power outlets on them these days there are power addapters out there for 30.00 on the apple site I seem to remember one around 20.00 a while ago. I have a IGO Juice that I use for all of my travel needs 100-220v 12-15v and it charges my cell also but it is a little costly. If I remember right I payed around 90.00 for it. When making your seat request a seat with a power outlet. The last 2 times that I went to brazil I had power outlets on every seat that I had. You can also charge your Ipod if you need to this way by pluging it into the fire wire port.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
iJon said:
There isn't much you can do when it comes to watching a movie. Basically I would turn it to Longest Battery life and turn the screen as low as you can while it still being comfortable for you to watch. Make sure you turn of Bluetooth and Airport. You will probably be able to squeeze in one normal length movie in that trip.

jon

wouldn't he get longer battery with the dvd playback setting?

also to get more life goto your network pane and as well as BT and airport card. you can disable your ethernet ports and firewire as well... not sure if that really saves much battery life if any at all, but worth a shot

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
aethier said:
wouldn't he get longer battery with the dvd playback setting?
No, because that setting is not optimised for longest battery life. However, those saving settings are unlikely to do much. The best thing to do is simply turn the brightness on the screen down and, as you said, turn off Airport and Bluetooth. Make sure no other programs are running too.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Besides turning off Airport and bluetooth, you should let the processor speed vary as needed and you should let the harddrive turn off since that is not needed for DVD playback. Oh, and you might need a second charged battery for a longer movie.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Most long flights (or more accurately, the larger planes they use for such flights) have AC outlets, which is always an option, however on a short flight like yours, I doubt if they plane would have such provisions. Apart from buying a second battery, I would just make sure to turn off as many settings as possible, as others have mentioned, and you should be okay.

Oh, and if you think San Diego to Chicago is a long flight, that's nothing - try traveling around the world like I have and then you'll experience some really long flights! Try going to Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia, and the like. Trust me, a few hours on a plane across country is nothing when compared to flying to Oz for 30 hours! ;) Every adventure I've been on has always been worth the long flight though, I've never had any regrets. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.