Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

172743-309726_large.png

172743-304891_large.png

172743-285480_large.png

Apple has issued version updates to their iPad productivity apps Keynote, Numbers, and Pages. The updates offer a number of bug fixes and improvements but also adds a number of new features. The new features are listed here:

Keynote
- Export presentations to Microsoft PowerPoint (.PPT) format.
- Copy presentations between Keynote and your MobileMe iDisk or a WebDAV service.
- Support for audio in builds when importing Keynote ’09 presentations.
- Ability to group and ungroup objects.
- Add animated builds to grouped objects.
- Lens Flare, Spin and Wipe build animations.
- Revolving Door, Swoosh and Wipe slide transition animations.

Numbers
- Export spreadsheets to Microsoft Excel (.XLS) format.
- Copy spreadsheets between Numbers and your MobileMe iDisk or a WebDAV service.
- Open CSV files from Mail and other apps.

Pages
- Copy documents between Pages and your MobileMe iDisk or a WebDAV service.
- Option to display the word count for your document.
- Support for opening .txt files from Mail.
- Import and export existing footnotes, endnotes, sections and tables of contents.
- Import and export Pages ’09 tables with image background fills in cells.

Each app is priced at $9.99 and is iPad-only.

Article Link: Apple Updates Keynote, Pages and Numbers for iPad

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Finally!

Now you can actually incorporate iWork for iPad into a logical workflow. No more of this ridiculous "e-mail docs to yourself to get them on/off the iPad" stuff.

userexec

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
Still no option to remotely control presentations over wifi or bluetooth?

I would be completely okay with it if the iPad couldn't even create or edit presentations, so long as it could excel at giving them. Guess it's still just a small-group sort of thing, since gripping the podium is out of the question.

And ya, ya, I know. Buy a mac. Already done.

Chris L

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
I guess this is why we haven't seen the expected iWork '11 update (for Macs). Apple seems to have put all their software engineers on iOS projects. Same for iLife '11. And Bento 4 (Filemaker just released new mobile app upgrades).

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Man, I was totally hoping that a better outlining tool would be implemented. It sucks how one can't tab (when using an external keyboard) to get bullets to indent. Apple, get on this!

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Great for presentations:

7-inch iPad mini. Pocketable. Wow!!!
Bluetooth remote control.
True compatibility with Apple iWork to/from Mac.
True compatibility with Microsoft Office to/from Mac.
Last but not least, USB or card slot to get files in/from iPad!!!

When?

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Keynote
- Export presentations to Microsoft PowerPoint (.PPT) format.
- Copy presentations between Keynote and your MobileMe iDisk or a WebDAV service.

Numbers
- Export spreadsheets to Microsoft Excel (.XLS) format.
- Copy spreadsheets between Numbers and your MobileMe iDisk or a WebDAV service.

Pages
- Copy documents between Pages and your MobileMe iDisk or a WebDAV service.

Boy, did they just make iWork for iPad more useful with these features. Transferring files without going through iTunes is very appealing to me.

Does anybody know if the iWork suite for iPad uses iWork.com for file transfer and collaboration also?

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
A quick look at google docs, loads of people asking for WebDav support, but only vague "we're looking at it" responses.

That would make a killer combo IMO. Maybe there'll be loads more requests now.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's pretty awesome. Going to test it out.

Still no option to remotely control presentations over wifi or bluetooth?

I would be completely okay with it if the iPad couldn't even create or edit presentations, so long as it could excel at giving them. Guess it's still just a small-group sort of thing, since gripping the podium is out of the question.

And ya, ya, I know. Buy a mac. Already done.

Write to apple.com/feedback

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Boy, I could really use these programs if they were better with MS Office. There were just too many things lost in the round trip with MS Office to make them useful to me.

Yes, another company that is MS Office or nothing but aren't there a lot of those?

I will wait for some reviews on the interoperability improvements with MS Office before I buy but this is great news!!!

greenalien

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Dropbox

With the Webdav support, does it automatically sync files? Or do you have to manually copy the file locally, edit it, manually copy it back to the server?

Also, support for services like Dropbox would be even better. I wish Apple would just integrate all this into iOS so all apps can benefit from it without app developers reinventing the wheel every time.

iOS feels so restrictive without built-in support for cloud services. Especially when I use the same apps on iPhone and iPad.

rlmccormick

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Word count?

I have seen it in numerous places where the word count feature (or lack thereof) was talked about as a big issue. I just don't get it. Why is this feature such a big deal?

pyth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
Man, I was totally hoping that a better outlining tool would be implemented. It sucks how one can't tab (when using an external keyboard) to get bullets to indent. Apple, get on this!

THIS. I use my iPad to take notes in class with an external keyboard and this is the most irritating thing at all.

I have seen it in numerous places where the word count feature (or lack thereof) was talked about as a big issue. I just don't get it. Why is this feature such a big deal?

I would have agreed with you last week, but I had to write a paper and I used my iPad. Unfortunately there was a minimum word count, and I had to keep quitting Pages, opening Safari and using an external site for the word count. It's a HUGE time waster, especially without multitasking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.