I have a Dual 1.8 G5, and I've got several peripherals attached to it:

Scanner - Connected to rear USB port
Wacom Tablet - Connected to keyboard USB
MacAlly mouse - Connected to Keyboard USB
Sony Clié - Connected to front USB port
(That's all four USB ports taken up)

iPod - Connected to rear FireWire port

So, here's the question:
Occasionally, one or more of my keyboard ports will cut off because they are drawing too much power. A restart fixes this.

Today, I plugged in my iPod to the front FireWire port, and it worked once, then the port shut off. I didn't get any warning about power consumption the way I did with the keyboard ports. Again, a restart fixes this, but it consistently quits out after one of two uses.

The back FireWire port has no such problem.

Are the USB and FireWire problems related? Does the power supply have sufficient power to run all these devices at once? Is there something else I should consider?

Any help would be appreciated. s.n.goat

Sun Baked
Dec 21, 2004, 07:28 PM
The Power Mac G5 computer provides 5 V power for the USB ports and up to 500 mA on each port. The power is provided in both run and sleep mode. The ports share the same power supply; a short circuit on one disables all ports until the short has been removed.

The USB ports support all USB 2.0 speeds: high-speed (480 Mbps) and classic USB speeds of full-speed (12 Mbps) and low-speed (1.5 Mbps). High-speed operation requires the use of shielded cables.

---

The three FireWire ports share a single power supply that can provide up to 15 watts total. The three ports are all on the same FireWire bus and can connect to up 62 other FireWire devices.

Jo-Kun
Dec 23, 2004, 05:14 AM
it sounds as your G5 has a problem... rev A or B I have the latest of the RevA's...

I hook up my FireWire D2 drive, FireWire Scanner on the back and my iPod on the front without problems, my USB ports are all in use (direct connection to my camera, printer both ports on the back, keyboard on the front port, mouse on the keyboard... never had a problem with 'not enough power' or stuff like that...

call apple and ask them if this is normal...

J

edit: maybe you need to get a powered hub because maybe just maybe the wacom steal to much power from the keyboard hub? that's a non powered hub...

Passante
Dec 23, 2004, 05:35 AM
I can't plug my Wacom tablet into the keyboard without getting a not enough power warning on my G4 MDD. I use a powered usb bus to run the tablet. Try plugging directly into the front usb port on the G5 and see if the usb problem goes away.

There have been a number of firewire problems. Mostly involving iSight. Not sure if your firewire and usb problems are connected.

caveman_uk
Dec 23, 2004, 06:56 AM
I can't plug my Wacom tablet into the keyboard without getting a not enough power warning on my G4 MDD.
What tablet you got? I've got a small Graphire tablet and I've never had any problems. :confused: